Would you buy a Larrivee with a split on the top?

Started by DaveyO, September 07, 2009, 08:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been eyeing a Do3r at the local Sam Ash, been looking to buy used but no luck
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the guitar they had ,had a pretty large split on the top from the bridge to the lower bout.
I noticed today that they had it fixed but it is still noticable.I would say about 5 or so inches long.
there is no price on it so I imagine I could get a decent price maybe.
My question? would you buy the guitar , or have you had this happen to your guitar and after you fixed it ,was there a problem?
Dave

Is this the top splitting in two at the glue joint? If so don't buy it unless it is dirt cheap.

As long as the work was good,not over cleeted and the price was right.I sold an L03R that was new with a cracked top that I did the work on for under $700 and the guy got a warranty from me.I see the guitar every 6 months or so foe its twice yearly checkup.That was sold 3 years ago.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: dependan on September 07, 2009, 08:53:12 PM
  Is this the top splitting in two at the glue joint? If so don't buy it unless it is dirt cheap.

No , the crack is on the spruce top, a line really.
dave

Quote from: DaveyO on September 07, 2009, 10:01:55 PM
No , the crack is on the spruce top, a line really.
dave
The top is 2 pieces. Is the split where the two pieces join?
   You could have it open back up easily if so. If it ever got dried out or bumped.
    If they didn't repair it like unclrob did.
           Then it could cost as much to fix it as you saved, or even more.

Larrys are a bargain new.Second hand they are a steal.Pay the little extra and get yourself a good pre loved Larry without a split top.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: carruth on September 07, 2009, 10:36:20 PM
Larrys are a bargain new.Second hand they are a steal.Pay the little extra and get yourself a good pre loved Larry without a split top.

Yeah, your right,
it would probably bug me too much
thanks
Dave

Carruths right Dave, why buy someone elses problem
cheers
fongie

Could be what you're seeing is resin that is in the gap, the top not being repaired properly. If done right, all you'll see is sometimes a patch extending a couple of inches on either side of the crack, blending into the finish on the sides. Have had it done before after lending a guitar out for a few months, but not @ my expense. It sounds like it dried out, the top came apart, it wasn't re humidified right before repairing, which would bring the top together. Go to Taylor guitars site & look for the video with Bobby on how he fixes under & over humidified guitars. Will give you an idea of what happened.
   Would I buy it? If they guaranteed it, it seemed structurally strong, & if another problem with it, what would they do (a little redundant). Rob knows what he's talking about, so since he has nothing to do, take a pic, post it, then ask away. They might not let you take one, but if you get the right person & explain why, might let you. That's why Rob's here. To give us free info! :humour:
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Interestingly I bought a new L-05 at a Sam Ash last June.  A couple Larrivees there had pretty big cracks, the sales person told me it was because their humidifier went down and no one knew how to fix it.  Anyway, mine had a clean crack from the bridge down to the bottom (bout?)  A very reputable luthier lives near me and I figured stabilizing the crack wouldn't be a big deal for him.  So I bought the L-05, complete with a major discount (because evidently Larrys don't sell well in NJ?) and another big discount due to the crack.  I was right about fixing the crack...a brief application of humidity, a few cleats, the rest filled with some adhesive, and voila!  A very pretty guitar with a visible but stable crack down the front, that plays like a dream.

By the way, the "new" L-05 I bought?  After requesting a manufacturing date from Oxnard, it turns out it was made in October 2005.

Jim
2007 L-05,
1971 Martin D-35,
1970 Martin D12-35,
1965 Fender Telecaster,
1975 Fender Jazz Bass,
2005 Washburn D.

Thanks Jeff but ya if you can get pixs I'd be glad to help.By the way I never use cleats anymore on top cracks,the inhibit the top vibrations in my opinion and done right you really don't need them.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Repaired properly, yes.  Assuming a commensurate discount.

My Parlor has a cracked top.  After the repair it sounds and plays indistinguishable from new.
My fault I used to leave it out because I'll play more if it's out. (bad idea when the humidity is 5% or less)

Another question,
would this be less likely to happen if the guitar was not matte?
Dave

Quote from: DaveyO on September 08, 2009, 10:32:37 PM
Another question,
would this be less likely to happen if the guitar was not matte?

Interesting question.   In theory, a better seal will impede weather-based expansion and contraction.   But none of these gits are sealed on the inside, so it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Anecdotal data point: the only guitar I have with a repaired crack is my matte Larrivee parlor.
Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

Quote from: jasbart on September 08, 2009, 08:24:03 PM
their humidifier went down and no one knew how to fix it.  
Jim

Wow. havent these guys heard of a service man. Lets let all the guitars dry out instead.  :?

Glad your happy with the L-05, as long as the price is good (read "heavily discounted") I guess Id buy one.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on September 08, 2009, 11:31:21 PM

Wow. haven't these guys heard of a service man. Lets let all the guitars dry out instead.  :?

My translation of this, based on experience is; "Not my job." ie. no one wanted to get their hands dirty or take responsibility for this.
               After many months of pointing out problems in the guitars in one local shop, due to dryness. They finally installed a new humidifier. (Now someone needs to keep it full of H20)

I personally would have to say no.  I might buy one that had a small crack in the back or dent in the side for an easy repair, but not the crack you've described.  Sounds like for the price plus repair you could probably buy a new one. 

Mix :thumb
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

I agree.  Right now, guitars are selling at premium discounts because of the econony.  Find one you like that doesn't have the crack.

Plus, there's a lawyerly saying which is, Don't buy a lawsuit.  In the same vein, don't buy a problem and little cracks can be fixed but they can also turn into big problems.

The matte top vs. gloss is a good question. I personally think the matte ones would split easier, but the one of mine that did was a gloss model. Professionally repaired & all's cool, but won't lend my brother any more guitars. Figured that since his handmade '74 Del Pelar Classical had "settled", as he calls it, mine wouldn't be a problem. Does no winter maintenance on any of his 15 guitars, mostly electrics. Puts silicone packs in some during the summer, but that's it. Told him that no matter what he thinks, even if the wood stabilizes, it still needs upkeep, like humidifying it? Lives in NYC with forced heat, so for a pro, he's kind of an idiot? Proved it with mine!
   Just seems that the gloss would act as a stronger force to hold the top in place. But both of these finishes are on top, so the exposed wood inside wouldn't impede the  lack of moisture from affecting the guitars. Yes, these guys @ Sam Ash can be idiots. The one near me is ALWAYS over humidified, which is better than under? Their system is just screwed up, has been worked on many times, but can't get it right. I'll just sit there & sweat (or did) & basically be uncomfortable. If done right, their ignorance can be someone's gain?
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

My first reply is right above this.  I have been thinking about the subject of cracks in Larrivees and actually want to broaden the discussion a bit.  If I am in the wrong forum for this, kindly say so.

I own three Martins.  Purchased in 1961,1965,1983.  Two of them lived with me in Texas and So. Cal. and the third was added in NYC.   I have been a negligent steward.  I never used a humidifier prior to last week.  I've never had a guitar crack on me, altho the first Martin's finish spiderwebbed early on in Texas, altho it never flaked or shattered.  

I bought my first Larrivee last week.  I am perfectly pleased with it.  However, I monitored Larrivee sales and feedback from owners for several months before purchasing.  Suddenly, just in the last month Larrivees with cracks have shown up on EBAY, Craig's List and had some discussion on this site.I'm all in with my new Larrivee but I would like to hear from other members.  Are Larrivees prone to cracking?(I apologize for the length of this post.)