Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement Case for L-Series Guitars  (Read 888 times)
sunwukong

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:23:18 PM »

Hi,

I am wondering what after-market guitar cases people use for their L-series guitars.  Does any case-maker have an "off-the-shelf" size that would fit an L-series nicely?  I don't think I can quite afford a custom made calton case.  I don't anticipate a lot of air-traveling, but if you have a recommendation for one of those too, it would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

JV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 03:06:33 AM »

The Small F size case fits an L nicely.

John
sunwukong

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »

Thanks all.

Have you guys had experience traveling by air with the "deluxe archtop case" (which is the one LawnJockey posted).  I'm finding mine gets a lot of dings, scratches, indentations easily just from bringing it around in my car (better the case than the guitar!).  I just want to make sure my baby is protected when going on a trip.
Southern Cross

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 05:49:08 PM »

I flew with a Musicians Friend hardshell case with no problems.  It fit in the overhead compartment all the way from Raleigh, NC to Kingston, Jamaica.  I would take it to the gate and see if you could hand it to the baggage handlers. 
Clifford

Clifford

Larrivee LV-03RE "Laura" (Moved to Wilmington, NC)
Larrivee L-03 Mahogany 2008 "Roy"
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 04:16:56 AM »

Just don't fly United! crying

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 04:52:38 AM »

A note about the arch top cases -

On the flat cases, one of the latches has a padlock eye, so you can put a TSA padlock on if you check the guitar, and it keeps idle hands out of your guitar case. If you have one of the Arch-top cases, they have a cute little key lock on one latch, which you cannot use because they are not TSA approved, and if you do lock the case with it, you may find it pried open and permanently useless ( as is their right under Homeland Security ).

When I put an archtop case on a plane, I have a short length of chain I put around the neck of the case and the handle, and snap a TSA padlock thru that. I have only had it opened once out of 5 flights ( and they put a nice note in the case explaining that they opened it ).

I'd be concerned about anything over the case, as they may decide to cut it off if they want to look inside -

Definitely talk to the airline about carrying it on, or at least taking it to the end of the ramp along with the strollers and walkers.

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
hatofthecat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »

"off-the-shelf" size that would fit an L-series nicely?  I don't think I can quite afford a custom made calton case.  I don't anticipate a lot of air-traveling, but if you have a recommendation for one of those too,

I have a GATOR GPE DREAD ATA-style case that fits my L-03 very nicely.  I've flown with it with no problems, just a t-shirt stuffed behind the headstock for extra support.  As well as the padlock I use a plastic "tamper tag", basically just a small coloured cable tie that would have to be broken to allow the case to be opened. Case cost about $130 retail which is a bit more reasonable than a Calton... at the price of those I'll just buy another guitar thanks  rolleye

I wouldn't fly with any standard type case, even with a cover and I have one of those just to keep my original case minty.  If a plywood based case gets a hard knock on the edge its likely to just burst open.  Rugged moulded plastic may be pig ugly but it takes the knocks  wacko

Ditto on Tad's advice.  Usually also there should be an outsize baggage drop off that at least avoids the roller coaster baggage belts behind check in desks. Last time I flew there were three of us in line there with guitars and a guy with a bicycle worth more than any of our guitars !!

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 01:03:28 PM »

It's good to hear that there are L replacement cases available but I have my doubts about all of them that aren't made for the L body. It's an odd shape. Here's my story. I bought a used Larrivée L in 1976. It came with an ill fitting dread case. Over the years the case became, what I called, the world's ugliest guitar case. Held together by duct tape and hope. I would try to find a replacement case, now and then, and there being no dealer where I lived could never find a case, designed for other guitars, to be a good fit . Oh, they assured me that they had just what I needed but every time ... hmmmm ... nope. Then they'd offer me a new dread case, which seemed to me, not a real solution, at least as far as I was concerned. It may have been ugly but I already had a functional dread case. Finally, I talked a store owner into going the extra mile and ordering an actual Larrivée case. It cost me a little extra but it was worth it. It now houses my girlfriend's L-01.
Anyway to make a long story shorter, the '75 L went to Oxnard a couple of years back and one of the things I invested in was a top of the line case for it. Byoootiful!  
Good luck.        
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »

I have three cases for my F-III LS-03. The ill fitting original, a chinese made classical hard case, (better fit and light) and a Martin gieb style 5 ply case, which is HEAVY. But if I was risking my F-III going in the hold it would be in the nice Martin 5 ply. Even though the case will get scratched and chipped.
   Just check different sources until you find what works best for you.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 12:36:57 AM »

I have a GATOR GPE DREAD ATA-style case that fits my L-03 very nicely.  I've flown with it with no problems, just a t-shirt stuffed behind the headstock for extra support.  As well as the padlock I use a plastic "tamper tag", basically just a small coloured cable tie that would have to be broken to allow the case to be opened. Case cost about $130 retail which is a bit more reasonable than a Calton... at the price of those I'll just buy another guitar thanks  rolleye

Pete

I have one of these as well. Dreadnaught cases seem to work quite well. I also have a nice Guardian fiberglass case for my LV-03-12.

They come in either light or dark gray. I would feel really nervous about committing a guitar into the belly of the beast with either one of them but they would probably be OK, as long as it wasn't United and as long as they didn't take a fork lift to it.  crying

I got both the Guardian and the Gator off of ebay for great prices. The Gator seems a little stronger but will not take a 12 string. Another you might consider is the SKB-18. I have other cases from this series and like them a lot.

Finally, there is the SKB ATA Roto case that carries a guarantee against your guitar being damaged, at least it used to:

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5