Beatles Box Set. Stereo? Mono? Both? Neither?

Started by ducktrapper, September 01, 2009, 02:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, it's that time again boys and girls. The complete recordings of the best Rock'n'roll/Pop band ever, have been remastered. Four years in the making at historical Abbey Road Studios, available September 9. I just ordered the stereo version. Looks like the mono sets have been sold out except for those who think they can get more for them reselling on eBay.
So ... stereo? Mono? Both? Neither? What's your poison?

I'm thinkin if they've been remastered anyway, may as well get stereo.  Who did the work?
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Well, if they've been remastered, problem solved, I guess.
Stereo CDs (and tapes) of Beatles recordings have left entire tracks all but completely barren.
I'll hear the lead vocals for example and the harmonies will be washed out to perhaps 10% of where they need to be. Especially on early recordings but even as late as Abbey Road. Not sure why. Any one else noticed this? I might otherwise opt for the mono set just so I could hear it all.
Stereo is sold out now, as well.

The sound quality is supposedly vastly improved. The early records are better in mono, I've heard from reliable sources. I think also some songs are in slightly different versions between mono and stereo. Might be worth getting both if you are swimming in cash. The later records work better in stereo, or at least it's a tie in some instances. The stevehoffman forums have tons of threads on it if you want to wade in over there.

Lennon had a button he wore sometimes -- "I prefer Mono" (or something like that)
L-03 Italian Spruce

This will be third time I've purchased all the Beatles albums. Vinyl, the first 80's CDs and now the stereo remasters. Hooked! 

The propeller on the top of my skull cap is spinning wildly....

Redbook standard for CD dictates that it must be two track, so technically the "mono" version will be "two track mono".

Go ahead, give me a wedgie...  :nanadance
Ron

Q, I've noticed the same. One that comes to mind is "Because", off Abbey Road. Have noticed the difference in volume in on the lead-in notes on that one. Also, "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window", as "Polyester Pam's" drums lead into it, the vocals kick back a notch on the digital. I'm a purist when it comes to the Beatles, mono being best. Didn't know they were preordering these sets so soon. Thought they were being released on the 9th. Just checked out ducks thread he so nicely put there for us. Is the 9th, being a Wednesday. They release CD's & DVD's here in the states on Tuesdays normally. Must have picked a special day, as far as significance? Any one know about why that date? I'll have to check with my music store downtown & see what the story is? As far as availability?
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Just looked @ the on-line preorder prices. Might have to sell a guitar for this one? And the mono sets are going for $50-$90 more than the stereo, retail. Just called my store & was told it was a first come, first serve basis on the 9th. That should be a fun one. You can preorder the individual CD's online, each one getting a different rating. Makes me wonder how good a job they actually did? I'm not kidding about having to sell a guitar, as these sets are up there. Will have to wait this one out. Hopefully the prices will drop? Hopefully? :?
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 01, 2009, 04:04:36 PM
This will be third time I've purchased all the Beatles albums. 

Same here!  Actually I had (have) two sets of vinyl--one played to death and the other a boxed set unopened.

If you are a Beatles fan, check out the article on their breakup in the latest Rolling Stone.  Lots of inside stuff on the tension and friction that tore the band apart.

Jeff
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

Back in the 80's I bought a half speed box set in mono and it is the best sounding mix I've heard.So I guess I won't be buying the new one.I also have Frank Zappa's Shut up and play your guitar and shut up and play your guitar more both half speed masters.I'm still not a big fan of digital recordings.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

CD Universe cancelled my order. It seems they don't have as many sets as orders. Amazon is out. I re-ordered from Tower. We'll see what happens.
Bluesman - In my experience, sets like this are rarely cheaper than the initial sale price. Unless they're used. I paid around $225.00 for the last bootleg Dylan set. It's in the stores priced at about a hundred bucks more. I will look into a used Beatles mono set at some point.
Unclrob - I have the Zappa Shut Up and Play box set. Terrific stuff. Have you heard the new one, Guitar? More terrific stuff. 

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1011608

This is the Rerererereremasted version of all your favorite hits. Me smells marketing BS 101 here. I'll pass on it.

Quote from: the creature on September 03, 2009, 09:01:45 AM
This is the Rerererereremasted version of all your favorite hits. Me smells marketing BS 101 here. I'll pass on it.

No, the other CD versions had terrible sound quality. The word on these is they're audiophile.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on September 03, 2009, 09:27:36 AM

No, the other CD versions had terrible sound quality. The word on these is they're audiophile.
I've got several Beatles CDs and they all sound great.

Quote from: hadden on September 03, 2009, 09:27:36 AM

Agreed, quality was terrible.
Duck, that's funny. I thought Tower went out of business about 3 years ago. They filed for bankruptcy and liquidation back then. (They did close their US stores.)

Quote from: Queequeg on September 03, 2009, 12:41:35 PM
Agreed, quality was terrible.

It's almost sacrilegious not to have taken care in the first remasterings of this music. I could go on a rant now about the record companies in general but I'll spare you.  :whistling:
L-03 Italian Spruce

Wow....I wonder how much money McCartney's making off this??  I read an article a few months back about the best selling (cd sales that is) artists of the first decade of the 21st century.  #1 was Eminem with over 31 million CDs sold.  #2 with over 27 million CDs?  Yup, the Beatles!!!  They broke up nearly 40 years ago and sold 27 millions CDs since the year 2000!!!!!

I want a stereo copy but have no money for this kind of thing right now.  This isn't a limited edition deal, is it?  These will always be available, right?  

Oh, I can't wait to hear Revolver!!!

Let's see the last pass was 3 years ago, Vol. 2 of the Capitol Remasters. I passed after having wasted my money on Vol. 1 and hearing little, to no, improvement over the already available variations... 1st pass, the Parlaphones, the Japanese, the Russian, the mobile fidelity vinyl. Oh yeah and the anniversary edition of the white album. Now we are all supposed to pony up again. The tapes are now 40 years old in the best case. Only the much argued Yellow Submarine, has shown greatly improved sound quality. Last time around JVCXRCD was already producing amazing quality sound from redbook CD. It could have been done, but more effort was put into marketing hoopla, than into the remastering itself.

I will have to hear some before dumping more $$$ on this again. Based on what does anyone expect this run to be any better than the last. Hell Neil Young even went to the trouble of reproducing his grundge and distortion along, with the acoustic works, on blueRay. At least he seems to care.

I like stereo.My pet hate is surround sound whether in a movie theatre or in someones home.It never sounds right to me.The Lord gave us two ears not 5.1 ears.Anyone else share this view?
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K