Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beatles Box Set. Stereo? Mono? Both? Neither?  (Read 7371 times)
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 11:23:26 PM »

Anybody think of the $ Michael Jackson's estate will make? How does that work out, having bought the rights to so many songs? And the prices I saw were between $6-700 for these sets?
   And duck, what stuff is on the new Zappa CD? Guitar instrumentals? SG genius? Please tell!
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »

I like stereo.My pet hate is surround sound whether in a movie theatre or in someones home.It never sounds right to me.The Lord gave us two ears not 5.1 ears.Anyone else share this view?

After having spent 500 bucks on a SACD player and then patiently waiting for years for the much touted but never materializing surround sound revolution, I hate surround sound too, but for much different reasons.
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 12:11:28 AM »

Let's see the last pass was 3 years ago, Vol. 2 of the Capitol Remasters. I passed after having wasted my money on Vol. 1 and hearing little, to no, improvement over the already available variations... 1st pass, the Parlaphones, the Japanese, the Russian, the mobile fidelity vinyl. Oh yeah and the anniversary edition of the white album. Now we are all supposed to pony up again. The tapes are now 40 years old in the best case. Only the much argued Yellow Submarine, has shown greatly improved sound quality. Last time around JVCXRCD was already producing amazing quality sound from redbook CD. It could have been done, but more effort was put into marketing hoopla, than into the remastering itself.

I will have to hear some before dumping more $$$ on this again. Based on what does anyone expect this run to be any better than the last. Hell Neil Young even went to the trouble of reproducing his grundge and distortion along, with the acoustic works, on blueRay. At least he seems to care.

Looks like no bs this time.

http://www.tonepublications.com/music/beatles-box-in-stereo-and-mono/     bigrin 

L-03 Italian Spruce
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 01:38:47 AM »

Nothing to say we're "supposed to pony up" for this or any other recording. Odds are for most people who bought the previously released boxed sets, they won't go for this one, but lots of folks did not get in on the last releases and this might be tempting for them.
I haven't seen anything like $600 for this set. $200 give or take seems to be the going rate. Still a lot of money for most folks.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 05:28:09 AM »

Neither - I get tired of every Beatles song after I've heard it four or five times. There's no way I'd pay for this. I rarely listen to the Beatles albums I already have.

The Lord gave us two ears not 5.1 ears.

It doesn't work like that. We can localize different sounds all around us which is why surround sound exists. Life is in surround sound not stereo.
   Anybody think of the $ Michael Jackson's estate will make? How does that work out, having bought the rights to so many songs? And the prices I saw were between $6-700 for these sets?
   And duck, what stuff is on the new Zappa CD? Guitar instrumentals? SG genius? Please tell!
     Jeff   

I heard from someone that MJ willed his rights to the Beatles catalog to Paul... don't if it that's true or not.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »

The remastered stereo CDs are and will be available individually, for a little more and without the bonus material. The monos should be available eventually, as well, I'd think. The sets are collector's items, let's face it. I could achieve much the same result by buying an album a month to gradually replace the CDs I have.
Someone mentioned the Capitol Albums box sets. They include both the stereo and mono mixes
up until Rubber Soul, for a lot less. Will these new mono mixes actually be that much better?
I'm also interested in the improved packaging, personally hating jewel cases. If, however, the original CD mixes sound great to you and the packaging is satisfactory, I wouldn't spend another cent either. To me, they sound okay, if you don't listen too closely. 
No one is obliged to pony up for anything. Personally, being a fan of free enterprise, I don't concern myself with who is making money off of this. Everyone, including the clerk who ships my order, I assume. Besides, if I want to spend my money foolishly, that's my right too. My kids are all growed up and won't be going without shoes. 

hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 02:24:11 PM »

I usually listen through headphones and the wide stereo separation gives me a headache. If I get these I'll order much of them in mono, unless the new stereo is not panned so widely. I'm not sure if anything can actually been done about that with the original tapes. 

L-03 Italian Spruce
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »

No one is obliged to pony up for anything. Personally, being a fan of free enterprise, I don't concern myself with who is making money off of this. Everyone, including the clerk who ships my order, I assume. Besides, if I want to spend my money foolishly, that's my right too. My kids are all growed up and won't be going without shoes. 

Hey, if barefoot was good enough for McCartney on Abbey Road it's plenty good enough for my kids.
photomat

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »

I see Borders.com has the mono set that you can pre-order for just over $700!

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »

Now, how about that $600 -$700 price range for preorders? Q, find me one for $200 & let me know. Check out Amazon also. Don't make this stuff up!
   Jeremy, haven't heard anything like that about Sir Paul. Would be the right thing to do?
     Jeff   
   And if I stand in line on the 9th, I'll get it alot cheaper than Amazon from my local store, who isn't taking preorders, as I said, & will sell them for the proper price in a fair fashion. They'll make enough, believe me. bigrin

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 10:31:49 PM »

Jeremy, haven't heard anything like that about Sir Paul. Would be the right thing to do?

Sorry, I don't know what that means.

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2009, 12:41:32 AM »

Jeremy, you said that M.J. willed his rights to Paul McCartney, who has been knighted, thus a "Sir". An English thing? Was only making reference that it would be the right thing to be done, since the song lyrics were written by Paul. And how pissed he was when M.J. heard that Paul was going to buy the music back, he went ahead (M.J.) & bought the rights. Caused a little rift between them for a short time, but Paul soon realized that all was just business. It's in your post before your last one. No bigee.
   And as far as your personal feelings about the Beatles, they're just that. Your feelings. I respect them, but don't feel the same myself, as alot of others don't. I grew up listening to their music, remembering where I was when a certain song came out, etc.. Let's not get into a big thing about this. I explained why I said what I said, you said how you feel, I did the same, as did others, so let's just keep the thread going?
   Peace out.
     Jeff
   And the humor thing was meant for my previous statement, not the one about what you said.

WarDoggie

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 02:45:27 AM »

From personal experience and from what I've read from 'experts', mono is the way to go for the older albums.  The few mono recordings I've been lucky enough to listen to were far superior to any of the Beatles CD I've heard which are all stereo.

~ Doggie
Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 08:02:07 AM »

I have all the original vinyls - it'll be interesting to compare.

It was Phil Spector who wore a badge saying "Back to mono".... 
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 12:17:40 PM »

I usually listen through headphones and the wide stereo separation gives me a headache. If I get these I'll order much of them in mono, unless the new stereo is not panned so widely. I'm not sure if anything can actually been done about that with the original tapes. 

Why not remix them yourself? Load them into a DAW and pan the stereo tracks to create the field you are happy with.

Ron

hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009, 01:37:09 PM »

Why not remix them yourself? Load them into a DAW and pan the stereo tracks to create the field you are happy with.

Yes, I had a headphone amp at one point with a stereo crossfeed to deal with this. I found it messed with the frequency balance too much. I also tried a crossfeed plug-in through Foobar playback on my laptop, but it really affected the resolution and balance badly.  You suggestion would solve it better, I'm sure. I'll probably get all the first records in mono though.

L-03 Italian Spruce
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »

I have all the original vinyls - it'll be interesting to compare.

It was Phil Spector who wore a badge saying "Back to mono"....  

Oh, was it Spector? I know Lennon and George Martin liked the mono much better, and the early stereo mixes were a bit of a gimmick they were not happy about.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »

I see Borders.com has the mono set that you can pre-order for just over $700!

Now, how about that $600 -$700 price range for preorders? Q, find me one for $200 & let me know. Check out Amazon also. Don't make this stuff up!

hmm, yeah I see. This is something they call the "limited" box set, which indeed it is. Amazon is selling the (apparently unlimited) "Original" box set for $199.xx. Hard to "imagine" there could be $500 worth of box candy in the other one. Well, something for everyone, I suppose. (Or no one as several in this thread have indicated.)
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2009, 03:05:07 PM »

Q, the picture shows a bunch of "extras" spread out around the CD. Sorry, this is the set I was referring to & thought the one all else was also. Like you said, I think just a gimmick to get you to spend more money. I, too, would just go for the $200 set, not caring about pins or crap. Just the music, in mono!
     Jeff   

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 10:32:51 PM »

It's here! First impression. It all looks really, really good. Like miniature albums. In that regard, even better than the originals in some cases. Let's face it, when you hold up the earlier CDs, they feel and look like junk. It's about time this music and its fans were treated with the respect that they both deserve. More reviews, or maybe just reports, to come.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: