Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multitrack Recorder  (Read 597 times)
Greg Curtis

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »

Just started looking around for a full featured Multitrack Recorder. I already have a Boss ME-70 multieffects pedal so I don't think I need something with effects built in but would probably need a drum machine as an add on. Any recommendations on a good one. Thanks for looking.

Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp
May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead...
dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »

Just started looking around for a full featured Multitrack Recorder. I already have a Boss ME-70 multieffects pedal so I don't think I need something with effects built in but would probably need a drum machine as an add on. Any recommendations on a good one. Thanks for looking.

How much horsepower does your PC have and how good a soundcard? You might consider going the software route. I bought a Yamaha AW4416 for $5000 when they were first released. It's a beautiful machine. It's not that easy to use. Now I almost regret the purchase.
I find software easier to use, easier to update and upgrade and also a better choice for the dollars involved.
I'd suggest looking into some of the freeware multi-track programs that have been discussed elsewhere on this site - Audacity, for example. They'll give you everything you need with a lot less expense.

dg

Greg Curtis

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »

Its a 3Ghz HP pc but really doesn't have a decent soundcard in it. I've downloaded Audacity & Reaper but haven't used either one yet so don't know how hard they are to use.

Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R
dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:06:10 AM »

Its a 3Ghz HP pc but really doesn't have a decent soundcard in it. I've downloaded Audacity & Reaper but haven't used either one yet so don't know how hard they are to use.

That sounds like powerful enough hardware... and the HP sound card would certainly be good enough to experiment with. Have some fun with it!

dg

claudefr

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:35:33 AM »

Hi,

Take a look at USB interface like this M-Audio http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

With Audacity and a good micriphone, you will have a very good multi-track machine in your computer.

Claude

Larrivée C-10 with iMix no cut
Laforest Classical #5
Godin Multiac Grand Concert SA nylon strings
Godin XTSA electric
Tacoma BM6C Baritone tuned ADGCEA with G and C one octave higher
Norman B20 HG
Greg Curtis

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »

Claude, I have a Boss ME-70 multieffects pedalboard and a TU-2 tuner besides my guitar & a drum machine. Can I plug these into the M-Audio & right into my computer thru the USB. I'm not really interested in vocals with a mic( terrible voice) so its just my guitar, amp, pedalboard & drum machine. This solution makes a lot of sense to me rather than spending money on a multitrack recorder. Also would you suggest a decent soundcard for my HP. Its about 4-5 yrs old now. Thanks for the recommendation! Keep it coming.

Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R
claudefr

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »

Greg,

It depend on the number of ins you need. There are some USB card that have from 1 to 8 inputs. Most are line input so you can plug your instrument directly into it. So chose the one that fit your needs but check the computer requirement to make sure it will fit on your machine.

This is what I did in my home studio. I have a MOTU 2408 with 8 balances Ins an outs. Most of the time, I bypass my mixer and plug my pedal (Line 6 Pod XT) directely. On location, I use a M-Audio Firewire 410 (only 2 ins) on a laptop and make very good recording with that . The new M-Audio Fast Track Ultra have 6 ins 6 outs, is USB 2 and cost lower then my 410 cost me.

Hope this will help you.

Claude

Larrivée C-10 with iMix no cut
Laforest Classical #5
Godin Multiac Grand Concert SA nylon strings
Godin XTSA electric
Tacoma BM6C Baritone tuned ADGCEA with G and C one octave higher
Norman B20 HG
Greg Curtis

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »

Thanks much Claude I'll check out that gear.

Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: