a question about bracing

Started by lw216316, August 27, 2009, 09:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I borrowed a picture of bracing taken at the Gibson Heritage factory by QueeQueg.

The bracing stip along the sides of the guitar has lots of little
'cuts' 'slices' 'indentions' - not being a wood worker I don't know what to call them
I'm guessing maybe it provides flexibility for the wood strip when installing and maybe is a way to reduce weight. I don't know.

I have a Pavan classical guitar.
That bracing strip in it does NOT have the 'cuts' in it. It is a 'smooth' strip of wood.

I'm wondering why the Pavan does NOT have the 'cuts'  - any ideas ?
(and why most other guitars I've seen DO have those 'cuts')

- Larry

[attachment deleted by admin]
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

I assume you mean the kerfling, which is for attaching the top and back to the sides, rather than as a brace.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

QuoteI assume you mean the kerfling, which is for attaching the top and back to the sides, rather than as a brace.

YES,  KERFLING,  - I've learned a new word today - and my education in guitar construction continues, thanks Ben !

Now that I know what its called, I found some info at Stew- Mac
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Acoustic_guitar:_Kerfed_lining_strips/Kerfed_Guitar_Linings.html

I suspect my Pavan has what Stew-Mac calls - REVERSE kerfling ! ....so the cuts are probably there and I'm not able to see them because the smooth side faces out. 

Stew Mac says,
QuoteThe reverse style can add more stiffness to the sides, and a smoother appearance inside the body.

So with your help, Ben, I'm beginning to understand -   still don't know why the 'cuts' are used, why not just a plain strip of wood ?

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) that kerfling is made, or can be purchased ready made in strips, and then glued to the sides (as the cuts make it flexible), thus providing a good surface area for glueing the top and back.  This means the same standard kerfling can fit a dreadnaught or a parlor. 
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Ben-yes
Denis-yes
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Its actually kerfing, not kerfling. The cut itself is called a kerf. The process is referred to as kerfing. Larry if you look closely at the Pavin it is probably a reverse kerf. The kerfs allow the wood to be formed around the curves. If you didn't kerf, you'd have to hand bend to match the body as with binding.

You can veiw standard and revers kerfing here: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Acoustic_guitar:_Kerfed_lining_strips/1/Kerfed_Guitar_Linings/Pictures.html#details

Edit: Woops, I missed your post above Larry where you found the Stew Mac page! As I said above, if you dont kerf you'd have to hand bend the wood to conform to the curvature of the body.

Quote from: GA-ME on August 27, 2009, 09:55:46 AM

if you dont kerf you'd have to hand bend the wood to conform to the curvature of the body.

Incredibly accurately to ensure a consistant strength along the join I would assume, whereas with kerfing this problem is solved
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quotets actually kerfing, not kerfling.    [  /quote]

thanks ga-me -
not only have I learned a new word today and what it means - I've learned how to spell it correctly  :thumb

If I hang around you guys long enough
I'll eventually learn enough about guitars to ask intelligent questions and engage in meaningful discussions about them  :bgrin:

:donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

The kerfing is the easiest way to make large quantities of this material, and the easiest way to install it. It could be steam bent or laminated, but the effort and cost would not be worth it. You will occasionally see guitars with glued laminations, where the strips are glued together and clamped to the bent side to make it fit just perfect, but they then have to be removed, cleaned up, and shaped before they can be glued onto the sides. Lotta work -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I thought my Pavan might have REVERSE kerfing - with the visible outside smooth and the kerfed side glued
but if that were so -  then I would expect to see part of the kerfs visible on the sides of the wood band.

Here is a close up of the kerfing -  I don't see any evidence of kerf marks on the side of the band.

Stew mac says the reverse kerf makes the bond with the sides of the guitar stronger...
Kerfed strips are easier to work with and perhaps cheaper in labor cost -

Maybe my Pavan did not use any kerfs - and that makes it even stronger -  :?
or
maybe it is reversed kerfed and the sides were filled in so they don't show  :?

I'm going to continue this specific question in a new post -

- Larry

[attachment deleted by admin]
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Kerfling is something Canadians do that includes lots of beer and ice.  :laughin:

Do you know what happens when a Canadian DUCK flies upside down ?
He quacks up.

I think DUCK has quacked up  :rolleye:
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Quote from: lw216316 on August 28, 2009, 11:42:05 AM
Do you know what happens when a Canadian DUCK flies upside down ?
He quacks up.

I think DUCK has quacked up  :rolleye:

I am not a duck, I am a ducktrapper. Can't fly but I do know a little about the ancient sports. 

QuoteI am not a duck, I am a ducktrapper

sorry, my bad,....Duck was my nick name I've been using for a buddy going by the handle - ducktrapper...

but, don't want to loose a buddy , so I'll rephrase the question  :bgrin:

Do you know what happens when a Canadian ducktrapper catches a duck and takes him on board his single engine bush plane and he flies upside down with the duck on board ?   ....the duck quacks up...  :roll

time for this post to die, and the new one with the correct title of Kerfed to be used, now that I know its not 'bracing' as I used in this topic's title

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

announcement to all passengers on board this flight

:cop:  we have been hi-jacked

reports are it has something to do with Canadians, beer and ice
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !