My 15 Minutes At Gruhn's Guitars

Started by Frederickmando, September 22, 2004, 02:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, I borrowed a Blueridge B-40 from a rental store for my vacation trip to Nashville and Mephis this last weekend. I parked the Washburn Rover guitar in the closet and just couldn't bear to take any of my other guitars for a ride in the trunk of my wife's car. So, off we go. Needless to say, I was an hour out of Nashville when it hit me--severed GAS attack. Now, my wife has a sweet 90's ragtop, so we tried putting the top down and that didn't work. Once in Nashville, I made a bee line for Gruhn's and began to drool. Little did I know that they have Guitar Police now who have to hand you the guitars from the wall or stands. One guy told me I couldn't even strum the strings while a guitar was on the wall--this was a $500 used Guild. This was quite a change from what I am used to. Heck, in Louisville you can play almost anything at First Quality and Guitar Emporium without even asking--they encourage it. Sure, the better high end stuff is either up high or in another room, but accessible.
Now, I know this is a tricky one and I see Gruhn's point here--who wants to buy a shopworn guitar? But, it made me really appreciate the shops I've been in where there is a player in every corner huddled with a guitar they are trying out.
Like I told Rob...he directed me to a guitar shop in Panama City, FLa and they closed the sound room door leving me alone with about 50 primo guitars-Taylors, Yairi's, Larrivees and Guilds.
I think this is interesting. For those of you who own or work in a music store, is this the wave of the future? Is too much gear getting damaged?
So, in that respect, I was glad to be back in Louisville where I can treat my GAS attacks...
Oh, and the Blueridge definitely rules as a travel guitar. Ply back and sides, but it jangles and thumps like a road series Martin but with a smoother sound. How does Blueridge do it?
--Fred

Fred we do the same thing as Gruhn's.Though if we know your not going to BANG the GUITARS into EACH other we do let you take them down. :D
PS
as a rule we only let reg's take them down,and thats only if they've been in here when I killed a costomer or 2 for bangin guitars.They've seen how I am. :)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

My local guitar store recently just instituted this policy here in Shreveport with their acoustics and some of their high end electrics.  I don't go there much anymore, but then again their guitars don't get shop worn as fast.  The lower and medium end electrics are available for all of the 15-18 kids to come and play powers chords on, but since I don't play electric or have GAS for one, I guess I will keep not going there often.

I see the guitar store's logic.  It is an investment, and if they can control who touches the guitars and how they are handled, then they can protect their investment a lot better.

Anyone can play anything they want here we just like to take them down,that includes all guitas from $89 to $20K.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteAnyone can play anything they want here we just like to take them down,that includes all guitas from $89 to $20K.
Personally, I would rather go in a store like that.  At least if I'm interested in actually buying one of the guitars.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

We have a local store here that say as soon as you pay for it you can play it. :blink:  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteWe have a local store here that say as soon as you pay for it you can play it. :blink:
I hope that's not ol' Scott T! :unsure:  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Scott T out of business.The store is Gordans.Do you remember them Hang.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Fred who helped you?
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Rob--You know, maybe I am just enough of a "regular" up here that no one really notices me. But, I can really see the point, Rob. I just think it is too bad because sometimes you hit a store employee who is not really having a good day or is not much of a salesman. I ran into one guy at Gruhn's who had kind of reddish blonde hair and was pretty stocky. He was ok. But, there was another guy who was sitting at a desk in the back part of the store who was much friendlier. They just didn't seem to have time to answer questions, in my opinion. But, I see the dealer's side of it. There are many times I play a guitar in a shop and look at the hammered pickquard thinking "would I buy this as-is?"
Marking down a shop-worn guitar takes away your profit line for sure, so I don't see an easy solution.
At one local shop, the instruments are hanging on walls and I see where they probably get some banging. But, their higher end stuff is out of reach and in another room.
--Fred

Good points from all.  But you can really get spoiled by going to a store like Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island where they greet you cheerfully and invite you to play any instrument in the store.  You can sit in a room with expensive high-end guitars and play them all you want, for as long as you want, and while selecting which you will play on your own.  And they sell a lot of those guitars.

E. Shoaf

What I always wonder is if the loss the shops take on shopworn guitars is worth it when you consider the sales you "might" get from the playing customer. I have read posts from some players that prefer shopworn guitars because they seem to be more broken in.
This is a great topic of discussion because I know nothing about the guitar business. I can't imagine what it like to go home at night realizing you have a gazillion dollars worth of inventory sitting in a building waiting for the right customer. I don't think I would sleep!
--Fred

Some hang for a long time. Seems like a hard thing to manage
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

Some stuff takes forever to move.Some stuff fly's out the door.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

FWIW, anyone travelling anywhere near Tallahassee should take the time to go by Andy's Guitars and meet Rob and the guys.  They run a first class operation with dozens of great acoustics and the kind of attitude that players really appreciate.  I'm fortunate to work here in Tally, so I get to stop by every couple of weeks and sample the goodies.  The environment is laid back and friendly.  Staff are helpful and knowledgeable, but they don't hover over you as you play a guitar (that really bothers me).  It really is a shop geared for guitar players (no pun intended).  Oh yeah, and did I mention the huge selection of Larrivees????  How much better can it get??

I should point out that I am in no way affiliated with Andy's Guitars, just a very satisfied customer who appreciates the level of service they provide.

Frank

QuoteFWIW, anyone travelling anywhere near Tallahassee should take the time to go by Andy's Guitars and meet Rob and the guys.  They run a first class operation with dozens of great acoustics and the kind of attitude that players really appreciate.  I'm fortunate to work here in Tally, so I get to stop by every couple of weeks and sample the goodies.  The environment is laid back and friendly.  Staff are helpful and knowledgeable, but they don't hover over you as you play a guitar (that really bothers me).  It really is a shop geared for guitar players (no pun intended).  Oh yeah, and did I mention the huge selection of Larrivees????  How much better can it get??

I should point out that I am in no way affiliated with Andy's Guitars, just a very satisfied customer who appreciates the level of service they provide.

Frank
Yeah, but Rob refuses to wear pants. What's up with that?

okay, the no pants policy can be a little tough to get used to at first, especially when Rob hands you a guitar he's been playing....but it's nothing that a little hand sanitizer can't handle.....  

Hey Wait just one dang Min............

Got to put my pants on. :blink:  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks