Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L03, D03, Martin 000-15, or 000-15s  (Read 5590 times)
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »

Some Martins have a deeper low end, some do not.  The 000-15s definitely has very little low end at all.  The scalloped bracing on the dread give Martin a bigger low end.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
SMixon

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 06:50:04 PM »

Hello,
  I'm not sure if you've gone shopping yet, but you did say Charlotte.  SO, if you are in N.C. the drive to Fat Sound Guitars in Cary is worth the drive.  Exit 290, Cary NC.  www.fatsoundguitars.com they have more selection than their website shows also, and their website gives good info. Also, Harry's guitar shop in Raleigh N.C. carries a good selection of Larrivee's and Martins, but don't limit the search to only Larrivee and Martin.

Don't be worried if your son doesn't want a Larrivee or Martin.  Let him pick the guitar the he wants and the body shape.  If He wants a huge Dread let me have at it.

Let him go shopping.  Many people here would recommend the L series for it's versatility and I would not argue with that at all.  However, I do like Dreads myself and like a 1 11/16 nut myself and I do sit with my Martin Dread and play quite a bit and it's not combersome to me at all. However it may be a bit easier to major in music though with a smaller guitar for lighter weight and less to make room for in a class room. Some people do not like the way the L series looks to the eye even though it's a great guitar.  Your son needs to pick his own axe.  He will be playing it and regardless of all the info in the world you may gain about making a purchase, if your son hasn't been able to choose the one right for himself then a great tragedy will have occured.

Let hime tag along and give his input.  I agree with a prior comment that half of the fun is the search!

Mix

Taylor 512
Fender 2013 American Standard Telecaster
Vintage Gibson J-45
Therdrail Amp
Carvin Nomad Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 11:02:24 PM »

Check out Harry and Jean West's shop in downtown Statesville but plan to spend a couple of hours when you go. Plenty to choose from but no Larrivees.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 03:42:23 AM »

If you go to Guitar Center , take your whip and chair,Back....back.....whoopaa!
those guys are famished for a sale! drool
Dave
SMixon

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »

That is one thing that bugs me about super stores vs. small stores with understanding and competant staff.  They'll let you look around instead of swarming around like buzzards waiting to pick the bones.  Nothing against the super stores overall as they generally keep stuff on hand that I might have to order online, but whew let a guy look around first and then let me ask questions. 

Agreed take your whips and maybe some pepper spray!

Mixon (good morning all)

Taylor 512
Fender 2013 American Standard Telecaster
Vintage Gibson J-45
Therdrail Amp
Carvin Nomad Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: