Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L03, D03, Martin 000-15, or 000-15s  (Read 5395 times)
3 Olives

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2009, 05:51:36 PM »

I've been shopping around for a nice acoustic guitar for my 17 year old son's Christmas gift. Like most kids, he started on an electric, took lessons, for several years, and moved on to acoustic. He's currently playing a Fender GDO 300 OM we bought quite awhile ago. He will be a music major in college next year and has outgrown the Fender.
I'm considering the following guitars: L03, D03, Martin 000-15, or 000-15s.
Recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated.

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 06:25:16 PM »

I'd vote for L-03, L-03R, LV-03, or LV-03R. But buying a guitar for someone else without their input can be a bad idea - Better to go shopping with him, but have a definite dollar limit in mind before he starts eyeballin' the brazilian -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »

I agree with Tad as far as the L-03 or L-03R. Unless he plays above the 14th fret alot, a cutaway is just an added cost to you. You will be getting a great guitar, either way. He just needs to decide mahogany/Sapele or RW. There are some nice mahogany bodied ones out there. Check out Jim Holler's site, which is always a pleasure. Or call him for suggestions if any needed. The Martin OOO-15s is being phased out @ the end of the year, but Jim has @ least one on order. Just different guitars.
   The L body is a much more versatile size for all styles of playing, the body wood being the major question. Here's Jim's site: trinityguitars.com.
   Good luck searching & with your son's music career!
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 07:26:57 PM »

I'm considering the following guitars: L03, D03, Martin 000-15, or 000-15s.
Recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. 

I suggest your son be involved in the decision - what good is a surprise gift that's not what he wants ?
Maybe go with him to the shops, let him play several and tell you which 2 or 3 he likes best,
then you could surprise him with one....

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 07:37:10 PM »

I agree with Larry, also. That was my intention on my post, but I guess I wasn't too clear. Sorry? He's the one that will be playing it for years to come, so only makes sense!
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:53:45 PM »

The L-03 is the best  instrument among these as far as consistency of a quality instrument that can handle many styles of play. The 00015s however is being stopped this year, so it may be worth more a few years down the road and it is a 12 fret and a smaller body if that is an issue.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:45:55 AM »

Those guitars cover a lot of ground size wise and material wise.  They are all great guitars so I would take the young'n to a shop and see what he likes best. 

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
3 Olives

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 11:41:36 PM »

Thanks for the replies, recommendations, and suggestions. My son said he wanted to hear sound clips of the different guitars. I guess I need to take him to Sam Ash and the Guitar Center to actually play the Martins. I don't think either Charlotte store carries Larrivee.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »

I would highly recommend the L-03 over all of them.  It's the most versatile for sure, it's loud...which he'll like...also...very cumfy to sit and play in a dorm room.  The dread is a little big to sit and play and not as versatile with the narrower nut width....wider is generally considered an advantage to play/learn fingerstyle play.  The Martins are great, but I wouldn't consider it a 1st option sending a boy to college w/ 1 acoustic.  I have the 000-15s and IMO it's sweeter sounding than the 14-fret peghead version.  It's not as loud as an L or D and if he's going to be strumming chords and playing some common tunes to impress the coeds...the 000's won't sound as good as the other choices.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 04:42:38 PM »

3 olives,
You didn't say if he was going to be studying guitar or just a music in general. For most music (sing-a-long, writing, etc.) I agree with everyone leaning toward the L body. Great versatile guitar.

BUT!!! If your son is considering guitar as a major you may want to contact the instructor. For classical, most instructors won't accept anything but a classical guitar. Jazz has some special requirements also. It's better to have the right instrument for the job at hand.

Good luck to both of you.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
3 Olives

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »

Thanks again for the replies. He'll be studying music in general. He's a very good guitar player but doesn't care for classical.
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »

I would have him share in the purchase price and have him participate in the shopping process. Here's why:

1) If he has some skin in the game, he will feel more compelled to practice and play. (I speak from first hand experience).
2) Half the fun is the search.

Since he will be in college, if he is not playing for money (or other remuneration) talk to your homeowner's insurance agent about a personal inland marine policy. I pay $40 annually for $10,100 of coverage and have all of my guitars listed on my policy. It's all risk (except Normal Wear and Tear or abuse) and $0 deductible. He'll want to guard it with his life and be careful who he lets near it.

If he's playing for money, he will need a different policy but you need to call your Agent anyway to make sure your son's personal property (Clothes, TV, Stereo, etc.) are covered while in school.

Ditto Bluesman's comments on the Martin 000-15S and Jim Holler. It's going away. I bought three of the four guitars listed in my signature (Two Larrivees and the OM-35) from him plus a LXM (Little Martin) for my youngest son. My oldest son also bought a National Delphi from Trinity and Jim snagged an OM-35 off the line for me. They don't make them anymore either but in the end, make sure your son participates in the process. And if you are looking to adopt, I'm available.....Dad? 

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
3 Olives

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »

Martin lists the size of the 000-15s as a 000-12 Fret. Can anyone tell me the exact size that is or how it compares in size to the L-03? Thanks.
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:28 PM »

Martin lists the size of the 000-15s as a 000-12 Fret. Can anyone tell me the exact size that is or how it compares in size to the L-03? Thanks.

The Martin body sizes and specs can be found here http://mguitar.com/guitars/features/shapes.html

The larrivee L is a noticably bigger guitar.

If he has been playing a Fender OM styled guitar why not a Larrivee OM-03?
The Martins differ in that the 000-15S will have a 1-3/4 width at the nut, which if the Fender is a true OM I would think will be the same, but the 12 fret slot head design of the 000-15S may be a deal breaker for your son. The 12 fret has a different feel to a 14 fret, so as mentioned, perhaps a visit to a well stocked dealer is in order.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 02:52:10 AM »

The 000 Martin series and the OM Martins are basically the same size. But the 000-15s feels smaller to me than my OM-21. A lot of that is to do with the 12 fret neck. (Which I like)

sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 03:50:32 AM »

I have a martin 0017s and a larrivee l05mt  I believe the 00015s and the 00017s have a similar body shape and are 12 fretters with low oval 1.75 nut width and neck shape.  nice guitars.  the larrivee is a little larger than the 000s.  very comfortable and versatile guitar for me that is good for flat pickin fingerpicking, and strumming.   definately worth a try.

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
rockhound

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 07:10:02 AM »

The L-03 is incredibly versatile - strumming, finger, flat all sound good - and as others said it is very comfortable to play sitting down for lengthy periods.  For my money, the L-03R sounds richer and fuller than the L-03 - even at the new prices, that guitar is a steal.   Your lad couldn't go wrong with that.

Good luck!

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420
Brodie001

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 12:17:16 PM »

The Charlotte Sam Ash actually carries a lot of Larrivees.  They've had Jean Larrivee come and to talks there, and according to their sales people, they're the top Larri-selling Sam Ash in the southeast.  Now, last time I was in there, they only had 2.  I asked what was going on, and they said they sold everything else and had a bunch more on order.  So hopefully if you go over there, they'll have their stock back up.  Might be a good idea to call ahead.

Ben

Larrivee D03R
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »

I should add that my first Larrivee was a L0V-3R bearclaw. It was six years old and looked almost new. Not even scratches on the PG. A drummer owned it. I think I paid him 625 for it.
     It was a great deal. So look in the used market, you could find some very nice used L-03R's at a great price.

boyds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »

Larrivee to Martin are almost completely different animals...Larrivees to me are more balanced all around. Martin have a deeper low end. But to me, still a balanced sound, just a more appealing low end. I have a Martin OM-15 that is  just the best all around git I have owned.
As was suggested, your son will be able to make the determination as to what appeals to his ear and his hands.

Larrivee L-03QM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: