Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any one tried a new Seagull Maritime SWS guitar?  (Read 4690 times)
webberink

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:56:29 PM »

Godin has recently come out with a SWS series (Solid Wood Series) in their Seagull Maritime line.  It is a solid wood Spruce and Mahogany guitar in the $500-600 range.  I am interested if any one has tried one and what they think of them.  They are one notch down from the Seagull Artist series. Website, http://www.seagullguitars.com/productlistingmaritimeseries.htm
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »

I have  played the Mini Jumbo and thought it was a great guitar for the price. The woods looked nice and the playability was top notch. It didn't have the complex, multi-layered voice of a high end instrument, but it could easily provide a working man a way to make a living.

Ron

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:05:58 PM »

No, I haven't yet. But, if it's anything like their Anniversary Spruce/Hog Dread, I find that solid wood Seagulls sound a little soft to my ears. I dig when I strum, so I need my guitars to roar.

Glad to see that Mr. Godin has finally made his solid wood guitars more accessible, without buyers having to fork out

dollars north of 1G.

ricky
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:59:07 AM »

I have an SWS folk for the "cottage" guitar. It's great for the money and the tone was surprisingly rich for mahogany. For Canadians, the price is disturbingly good, but I don't know about the US costs. Either way, it's a good guitar but it will never substitute for a Larrivee. I have to say that it is one of the most comfortable sub-grand guitars I've ever laid hands on.

I tried the mini-jumbo and if you find it comfortable for you then that's what I would go with. I liked the folk because of the small size. Volume is just fine and the woods are better than average. While there is no visible drops, my guitar smells slightly of glue.

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
leftync

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »

I've had the M6, with lam b&S for about five years. I like it very much. I tried the new one when I visited Chuck Levin's a few months back, and was very impressed. I think it will be about $700, though.
claudefr

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:55:27 PM »

Hi,

You can read an article in Acoustic Guitar magazine about this guitar in this month issue. Look here : http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=24114

Claude

Larrivée C-10 with iMix no cut
Laforest Classical #5
Godin Multiac Grand Concert SA nylon strings
Godin XTSA electric
Tacoma BM6C Baritone tuned ADGCEA with G and C one octave higher
Norman B20 HG
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:58:18 AM »

No I haven't tried the new range, but I have owned 3 in the past and must admit the Anniversary Dread was fantastic. If it wasn't for Lav, I'd still have that git in my possession, infact I reckon it sounds better then all my lav git. Yes, the cost of Seagulls in Australia is far and beyond here in Australia, just a tab to much, but then again I shouldn't complain, that sound I got from my anniversary dread is one in a million.
cheers
fongie
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone.  I too had a 25th Anniversary HOG that I sold so my wife would let me purchase another Larrivee, a walnut om-09 that came up on ebay.  Should not have done it as the Seagull was a good guitar.  If the new SWS line is as good and it sounds like it is, then I will have to keep my eyes open.  I particularly like the idea of the "Folk" model that rpm mentions.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »

Dave,

If you're interested in the folk, I wonder if you have read some of the threads about Larrivee's P-03 Limiteds. It's satin finish mahogany but if you can grab one with Italian Spruce top (not sure if they all come in IS only, which is good), you might be pleasantly surprised.

Compared to the SWS, you may be looking at 2-3 more Benjamins.

I don't know if a Parlor would be too small for your taste though (12 fret body joint & short scale).

Just a thought. Hope you do find a good match and a suitable replacement for your 25th Anniv Seagull.

ricky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: