Eb (E-flat) - tuning

Started by mixxa82, August 18, 2009, 03:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi!

How many of you guys use this low key tuning in order to make playing easier? I'm not talking about matching the key with singing. I have had problems with my wrist and after I have changed my tuning from standard into E-flat I have found it helpful. I didn't change the string gauge so tuning has really reduced string tension. That has also cut some volume off but not much. And lower key sounds different but not bad at all. I haven't abandoned standard tuning but I have started to like E-flat tuning. At least it has healed my painful wrist and I really enjoy playing the guitar at the moment.

-Mika-   

I personally don't do it but lots of 12-stringers do that to reduce tension and add increased years of life to the guitar before a reset is required.

My 12 is at D. I often tune my 000 to D also to get a bit more low.
The Dude abides.

I was in a rock band for many years and always tuned down a half step.  Of course, that was with my Les Paul, not an acoustic but, why not?  "Alternate" tunings are so commonplace now and I think "Eb" is a valid one.  To date myself, when I started playing in 1977-78, I was a huge KISS fan and they always tuned down a half step.  They, in turn borrowed the idea from other bands of the era.  My purpose was to facilitate hitting the vocal high notes regardless of string tension.  Back then, I think there were fewer educated listeners.  It felt like cheating but nobody really was the wiser.  
2010 Martin 0015ML
2008 Martin D28L (w/ Fishman Matrix Infinity)
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus LH
1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom LH
1981 Yamaha FG375SII (converted to LH)
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard LH
2004 Lucida Artista Classical
www.reverbnation.com/richlapierre

SRV played a tuned down a 1/2 step, put bass frets on his strat, and 14 guage strings...but I don't think it made playing any easier!  In your case, do what works.  :beer
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I have just experimented with this to try singing a few neil young tunes. Interesting sound actually, not what I expected. I'm gonna try it for a bit and see what sounds good like that.

My opinion is that there is no cheating with guitar playing, just different methods and sounds. Who says EADGBE is best? There has to be a standard. Everything else is alternative, not wrong!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Tune your guitar any way you want to is what I say. Only one comment, from a jazz player's perspective:

If you play many jazz standards, say, with a sax/trumpet/clarinet/trombone front line (or some such combination), then you'll find that much of the stuff is played in keys like Eb, Bb and F. "Great!" you might say, "Eb tuning fits in well here...". Unfortunately, it doesn't, for the simple reason that so many jazz progressions use the cycle of 5ths as a major part of their composition. So, many tunes might start and stop on a chord like F - but the passing chords are quite straight. So, here's the chord sequence to "Sweet Georgia Brown" in F:

D7 / / / D7 / / / D7 / / / D7 / / /
G7 / / / G7 / / / G7 / / / G7 / / /
C7 / / / C7 / / / C7 / / / C7 / / /
F / / / C7 / / / F / / / A7 / / /
D7 / / / D7 / / / D7 / / / D7 / / /
G7 / / / G7 / / / G7 / / / G7 / / /
Dm / / / A7 / / / Dm / / / A7 / / /
F / / / D7 / / / G7 / C7 / F / / /

Quite simple - yes?

Now, if you're pitched in Eb, to fit in with the brass, etc., you actually have to play:

Eb7 / / / Eb7 / / / Eb7 / / / Eb / / /
G#7 / / / G#7 / / / G#7 / / / G#7 / / /
C#7 / / / ... you get the picture...

Of course, you can always stick a capo on the 1st fret... I actually don't thing it matters a damn either way, particularly if you're a solo player, or if the whole band is tuned the same way. Anyway - just putting an alternative point of view (as usual!).

Regards,

Will

I've gone to Eb a few times over the years.  And medium strings!  I've done it for months at a time but I always come back to "standard" tuning and light gauge strings. 

HHHmmm...I wonder what the FIII would sound like with mediums and tuned to Eb???

Quote from: Denis on August 18, 2009, 04:47:40 PM

HHHmmm...I wonder what the FIII would sound like with mediums and tuned to Eb???

I'm wondering the same thing but also with standard tuning.
Let me know how it goes.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Though everyone tune's A 440 there are so many recordings that are A438 which is Ab.Most people can song more in tune when tuned to A438.I use it when I play solo as my guitar sounds better to my ear.But in the 2 duo's and the 4 piece band I'm in we tune to A440.So too each his own.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I've had my L-03 in Eb for a while - was learning a couple of tunes from Jackson Browne's Solo Acoutsic album, and he is mostly tuned down half a step.  Also find it easier for "singing" (and I use the term very loosely).  I get a bit of string buzz although its mostly controllable, but still using light guage strings which might explain it.
2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on August 18, 2009, 08:20:06 PM

I'm wondering the same thing but also with standard tuning.
Let me know how it goes.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it just yet....kinda think I might get a bone nut and saddle installed first.  I'm still playing with the Tusq nut and saddle at the moment...and 2-3 month old strings right now too...

As I said above, I have my forum III tuned like this at the moment. I often find leaving a guitar in an alternate tuning for a few days allows it to settle, and stay in tune better. Either that or my ear becomes accustomed to it?

My f III sounds nice like this, but wow does it open up more songs that I couldn't get close to singing before!  Loads of songs I love playing but couldn't sing at all sound great like this. I think some medium strings might be on the agenda now!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

I'm going to date myself more that richy3.

In the late 60s / early 70s I didn't know that things like tuning forks existed and didn't carry a piano around with me. I'd just slap a set of strings on my Martin D-18, bring it up to the point where they stopped buzzing and started singing. Now I have tuning forks, clip-on and chromatic tuners and keep everything to A440. The problem is I can't sing San Francisco Bay Blues like I used to.

Might even try detuning with a little heavier gauge string. It works.

fred
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I keep my J-09 in maple and my D-50 tuned down a half step.  They sound better to me, and it suits my limited vocal range better.
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I have now played a couple of months with Eb-tuning and really begun to like it. It kind of gives a different unique touch to my fingerstyle arrangements which I usually have played in standard tuning. And I think the most important thing is that my guitar is now dream to play. My painful wrist has healed completely due to lower key playing. This has been compromise but the very good one.

The local Guitar Sinner store back where I used to live in Michigan seemed to have all of the Taylors on the wall tuned to Eb.  I always wondered if it was a mandate from Taylor itself.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: ffinke on August 21, 2009, 10:48:42 PM
I'm going to date myself more that richy3.

In the late 60s / early 70s I didn't know that things like tuning forks existed and didn't carry a piano around with me. I'd just slap a set of strings on my Martin D-18, bring it up to the point where they stopped buzzing and started singing. Now I have tuning forks, clip-on and chromatic tuners and keep everything to A440. The problem is I can't sing San Francisco Bay Blues like I used to.
The old trick was to tune to dial tone from a phone. 2 freqs in there but one is 440. Still works if tunerless. Tuners were EX-PENSIVE
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.