Fishman active or passive for undersaddle PUP

Started by New Jersey Mike, August 17, 2009, 06:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm playing a 12 string D03 and want to add a pickup. Looking at the Fishman undersaddles. But should I get the passive or active Matrix? I hear the passive is very low output and tough to amplify. But how hard is the 9 volt to change in the Matrix? For those who have heard either one or both, how would you rate the sound. I'm playing in a band with electric guitar, bass, keyboard, and drums,  in small to medium size's clubs.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I use the passive one's ,you need to use an off-board preamp.I like the tone for what I'm using it for{still prefer a mic}.I don't have to worry about the battery bag falling off the mount and I don't have to put my hand inside to pull the battery out for changing,I spend enough time with my arm inside guitars.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hello,
I have had both the passive and the active(9V) Matrix and I personally prefer the Active.  You will need an outboard preamp a play through a good amplifier if you want to hear the passive at all.  I had a passive Matrix in an OM guitar of mine recently and promptly had it switched out once I plugged it in with out a preamp. 
A good preamp isn't a bad thing to have either way, active or passive for undersaddle pickups due to the lack of eq settings.  The preamp has a 9v or power adapter that will push the sound out. 
Fishman/ L.R. Baggs/K&K Sound have some great options for pickup installments. I've owned all three brands at one point or another and they all make superb stuff. Just find whats works for you.
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Gday Mike,

As far as Im aware Fishman dont make a passive Matrix. Their passive pickups are the AG series and come in narrow and wide format, theres also a AGX which is a little longer for 12 string and other wide at the saddle applications. Im currently considering going to a passive pickup myself. In my experiences, you still need an outboard preamp if you are going straight into a PA anyway, so why have an active pickup/battery inside your guitar?
Also most active endpins are "voiced" which means they already have some pre set EQ, which can be a good or bad thing. If you arent going to be doing regular plugged in gigs, you dont have to worry about batteries going flat. Keep a fresh battery for your preamp and your always ready. Im going with Fishman AG125 and a Fishman EQ Pro II when my Martin arrives.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

I have a used one time fishman AG narrow format that was in my OM. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll ship it to you.  It will need to be re-soldered obviously.  If I can find it and you want it let me know. I'm in N.C.

Mix!
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Quote from: SMixon on August 21, 2009, 12:45:12 PM
I have a used one time fishman AG narrow format that was in my OM. If anyone wants it let me know and I'll ship it to you.  It will need to be re-soldered obviously.  If I can find it and you want it let me know. I'm in N.C.

Mix!

Gday Mix,

What are you using now?

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Scott,
  Right now I'm using a Fishman Natural Matrix Infinity II.  I know they have been discontinued, but I think with a preamp that it's a great pickup.  I'm using it in a Martin D-16gt.  Great guitar too for the money! I had the new Fishman Matrix infinity in an OM and that was an awesome pickup. 
Right now I'm battling with whether or not to go back to an OM.  I usually play plugged in and practice at the house.  Dread's are great but they are so big also, and OM's are just awesome feeling for me.  I just miss the Big Boom of a Dread, but I believe OM's are very versatile.  Anyways, I have used Fishman, Baggs,K&K and I think they all have great stuff to offer.  Good Luck!
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Scott,
I think If I had taken some more time with my AG and bought a good preamp and maybe something like a Fishman Aura Orchestra model pedal as well that I probably would have gotten some good sound. I just didn't take the time to do so.  My fault on that end.

Mix
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not