Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy Page/The Edge/Jack White movie  (Read 6034 times)
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 02:46:41 AM »

Bump on this thread. Just saw the movie on Netflix instant play. Pretty disappointing and a wasted chance to hear more from Jimmy Page both playing now and talking about his favorite music and Led Zep days. Best bit in the movie was Jimmy listening to Link Wray doing "the rumble." That was great. I like the White Stripes but here Jack White came over like an amateur in his stupid hats. Had to fast forward whenever he was on. Felt sorry for the guy. Oh well.

If it sounds good, it is good.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »

Felt sorry for the guy. Oh well.

I always feel sorry for successful rock stars too. Marrying super models and making movies! Poor things. 
Blue Light

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »

I believe J. Page is wearing a puffy shirt.

Had to.  Inadvertently promised a low talker.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 06:07:24 AM »

Finally got to see this a few weeks back.

I will forever defend The Edge as my guitar hero, not because of the fact that he could play blitzkriegs of notes like other guitar heros, but when I got my first electric guitar in 1985, with my cheap little Peavey Backstage amp, I could play along with 'I Will Follow' almost right out of the gate.  That felt really cool.  I was hooked for life.

Regarding his stage name; if you get the chance, do a little history reading on U2 and you'll find out that this name was given to him in his High School days by Paul Hewson, also known as Bono (or in those days, Bono Vox).  If I recall correctly, it has nothing to do with the way he plays guitar.  They had a little clique of friends that gave each other nicknames and they hung out and did the kinds of things all teens do to pass the time.  These guys remained friends over the decades and still have that brotherly love kind of thing going.  Bono is still married to his girlfriend from that era as well, after all these years of the rockstar life. 

I thought the movie was quite entertaining.   To be honest I never 'got' the White Stripes, from my hometown of Detroit, until seeing this movie.

Three different rock guitar legends, with three entirely different approaches to that title.  It's weird to call Jack White a legend, him being much younger than me - but his entirely obtuse, unfettered  and 'hacker with abandon' approach to playing rock guitar completely won me over in watching this film - and yes, I think eventually he'll grow into that moniker of being a legend; whether we like it or not.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Kalbi

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 02:42:07 AM »

I developed more of an appreciation for Jack White after watching this as well. You got a good sense of what drives his desire to play music.

Larrivée D-05
SMixon

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »

Someone may have already mentioned this, but if you have NETFLIX you can watch it online as a play on Demand, or rent it from ITUNES. 
Great Documentary from 3 different styles!

Taylor 512
Fender 2013 American Standard Telecaster
Vintage Gibson J-45
Therdrail Amp
Carvin Nomad Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: