Getting Started

Started by texasjt, July 31, 2009, 07:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

First, let me apologize for asking for such remedial advice, but my 13 year old daughter and I are brand new to playing guitar and I want this to be something she and I can start getting better at and enjoy together for life. 

I'm looking for guidance on the best way to jump-start our learning together.  We both enjoy Taylor Swift and Colbie Caillat sound.

I just acquired a used D-03 for me and a new Taylor Big Baby for her.  I've linked to justinguitar.com and jamplay.com, and have a few books and CD resources.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated...Jim (Rockwall, TX)

:donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2

This should turn out to be a wonderful musical adventure for you and your daughter.  I enjoy playing guitar with my own daughter and I expect that this will be a life long celebration.  Currently, we're working on Bob Marley's Redemption Song.

As far as getting a "jump-start" on learning the instrument, there are many factors that will effect your progress such as the amount of time spent practicing, the dedication that you show to take the right steps to truly learn the instrument, and your own musical instincts. I don't know that there is any one secret to moving ahead, but immersing yourself in the musical environment (as you'll experience on this Forum) will go a long way.

My personal suggestion is to find someone who teaches the guitar and whose personal style suits your goals.  This will get you on the right track and will help you in avoiding some bad habits that might develop.  I only wish that I had started with proper lessons earlier, because when I finally decided to hook up with a qualified teacher, my skills grew exponentially.

Your progress is linear, so the first steps are important.  I know that many people will tell you that they have benefited from on-line sessions or guitar instructions on CD.  Pick whatever method makes you happy, but just be sure to learn the fundamentals first and stick with it.  

I also suggest that you try to find others to play with, and to search out musical events in your community.  This helps to motivate and expand your circle of influence.

Good luck, keep us posted,  and be sure to have fun along the way...

jimmy

I like videos - you study at your own pace and  'rewind' as many times as you want with no extra charge
and you 'take the lesson'   - whenever YOU want, not at 'appointment' time

most young folks are 'video' oriented these days -  books might not work as well

just find the options that work best for each of you

- purchase videos  - Stephen Grossman has good stuff
- watch free lessons on youtube  -  (can provide you some links if needed)
- get books
- find a friend who plays who will help (ask at work, church, neighbors)
- take lessons (never worked out good for me  - but , hey, I'm probably wierd  :bgrin:)

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

i agree with the video suggestion.  Check out Homespun Tapes:   http://www.homespuntapes.com/   They have all sorts of instructional DVDs in all sorts of style and every level of skill.  I just wish they had them (and tabs) when I was first learning.  Good luck and have fun!

BTW, it's great that you are learning with your daughter--my daughter and I are in graduate school together and it adds a whole new dynamic to the father/daughter relationship.

Jeff
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

yes, homespun, they're very good...I could not think of their name earlier when I suggested Grossman.
- larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Don't quit. It gets easier!

What used to get me was how effortless others made it look, and how hard the basics are to master. All of a sudden you realise that you can do it. I think maintaining enthusiasm is very impertant. If I don't play for a week say, I find I have gone backwards noticably. Play a little every day. Even if it is just 5 minutes. It is great for finger strength and muscle memory.

Another tip I like to offer is that whilst the learning curve tends to be uneven, i mean you will get on fantastically for a month, and then feel like you have reached a barrier and have stopped making progress, your ability to hear music and your own ability will also improve in a similar fashion. The result is that you may FEEL like you are going backwards.  Always think of it as an improvement that you are hearing inadequacies better, and work on them.  I think this feeling of going backwards is why so many people quit after 6 months or a year. 

Set realistic goals as well for things you want to learn. Many people learn a weekly target, but also have a more complex monthly goal, and even a yearly learning task.

Most of all enjoy it.  If you feel like it is a chore, try a different technique, a different song or a Different lesson.  Never loose sight of the fact it is meant to be fun!!!!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: texasjt on July 31, 2009, 07:08:15 AM
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated...Jim (Rockwall, TX)

The single most important thing y'all can do is to play EVERY SINGLE DAY! Set aside at LEAST an hour a day to practice. Some folks may say that it is hard to find an hour every day, and that may be true, but anything worthwhile takes dedication and commitment. Most folks waste at least an hour a day watching T.V. or some other useless pursuit. I guarantee, once you start to learn some songs and begin to become more and more proficient, you will never regret anytime you spent with a guitar in either of you or your daughter's hands.

Jim:  First congrats to you both for picking such an excellent way to spend real QUALITY time together with your daughter. 

Lots of online stuff on YouTube for about anything you want to learn, from scales, reading music, tab, simple songs, etc., so you have lots to choose from .  I have been to Justin site and think it is a good learning tool too, IMHO.

As someone earlier suggested would give the private lessons a shot sometime soon.  If you , or your daughter develop "bad habits", using wrong fingers, hand positions, all can be much harder to correct now than later.

Look to your community college system, or local music store for some Group lessons...lower price obviously and those teachers usually use those session to hustle up some private lessons.  You get the basics with minimum individual attention for a lower price than the private lessons.  You would also get to see how an instructor teaches--his/her style, if you like them, etc.  Then take a $100 worth of private lessons and will be some of the best $$ you will spend for the lifetime of pleasure for you and your daughter.
Good luck to you both.
:nana_guitar
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

Of all the skills required to play the guitar tuning is probably one of the most difficult to master. It is going to take you a while to get used to how your guitar is supposed to sound. I strongly recommend that you purchase an electronic tuner. It makes learning how to tune much easier.