Michael Hedges Gear

Started by Pjmsj21, September 20, 2004, 09:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have just been listening to Michael Hedges Oracle CD and like all of his music am pretty amazed at the sounds that he was able to produce. Does anyone know what guitars he generally used? I saw him perform in a small venue just before his death and was in awe and this was before I even picked up a guitar, now I am totally mezmerized.

Quote...I am totally mezmerized.
As am I - still. Saw him for the first time about 20some years ago. Been hot on his trail ever since. His main guitar was a Martin D28. Here is a link to a site that has all the gear info about Michael you could hope to learn about :

Nomadland

Enjoy!

yeah, Michael played a 76 (bicentennial) D-28 and for a long time used TC electronics and a sunrise pickup....
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Michael Hedges was the guitarist that took the "bag off of my head"  and allowed me to hear what is sonically possible with an acoustic guitar.

It is impossible to describe what I felt when I first listened to Aerial Boundaries. It really did change everything for me.

Ron
Ron

If I could add a Michael Hedges gear, could I play faster?  ;)  

QuoteIf I could add a Michael Hedges gear, could I play faster?  ;)
Now that is the funniest line I have heard in a long time!

Thanks,
Ron
Ron

I'm pretty sure Michael also used some wild stuff, like harp guitars and also a guitar with a 'trans-trem' built into it - to change keys on the fly.  He would do it musically with these weird stepped multi-string bends, but it sounded cool.

I haven't heard anyone else that could do the trans trem stuff like him.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

EVH is pretty good at it also (trans trem), but the last 10 years have been kind of disappointing, at least to me.  I really liked his earlier playing, but now I don't really know what they are trying to do in the VH camp.  I agree Michael Hedges is amazing.  He is one of those players, like Tommy Emmanuel, who makes me want to use my guitar as a boat paddle becuase I am certainly not even on the same planet, talent wise, with those guys.  Jason
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

I saw Michael live many times and got a chance to hang out with him a few as well.......the thing that really suprised me as much as his playing was how almost fragile looking he was.  the way he banged on the guitar you would think he would have these major tough hands, but when you shook his hand it was like a woman's....but he performed at times with an intensity that most can't muster.   The first time I saw him was just after Aerial boundaries came out (he actually did a few from "Watching my life go by" as well)   within the first 40 seconds of the show, during "All along the Watchtower"  he was spraying sweat off his long braids and nearly sprinting from on side of the stage to the other (the show was in a very large, old stone church and had a BIG stage too)   Music flowed from him for about an hour or so and my buddy and I just kept picking out jaw up off the floor.  The next morning we were walking through the Amway Grand hotel looking at the art in the lobby and we looked over and saw a frumpy crushed velvet sport coat, a guitar case and those braids......it was so cool to meet him!!    My friend and I probably saw him another eight or ten times together and actually took some pics that were considered for the "Live on the Double Planet" album.....he told us he had them on the wall in his studio instead......we figured we would take that as consolation!!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Great story, fitness1. Definitely an inspiring dude.

Great story Fitness1, would it be possible to post any of the pics you took? I would love to see 'em!!  

MH is a huge influence of mine as well... My style wouldn't be what it is today without Michael showing me that anything is possible!!

I don't have a hosting service, but if someone wants to help out, I will dig up some.  I have moved about 8 times in the last ten years, but have a pretty good handle on where they are.....
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka