Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I like my F-III but GAS keeps coming back.  (Read 3692 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:01:48 AM »

I enjoyed playing my LS-03 MH/IS 12 fret just a little while ago. I also was in a G.C. earlier today and as usual I didn't play one guitar that I thought was worth investing in beyond the ones I have.
                 But they had no slot heads at all. And even though I enjoy my OM-21 also a whole lot I am thinking of buying a Slot head Martin, or SCGC or whatever I can find with full tone range (depth) and trading the OM-21 in if need be.              
                 I really like the 12 fret sound and have wanted a nice slot head git for a while now. Sometimes I just let it go and forget about it. But then someone (usually on this forum ) enables the GAS virus in me and I am back to searching craigs list etc.
                 I just sold two of my extra cars so I do have some $, but I think I am looking for some advice. Will I regret selling or trading that OM-21 to get a 12 fret slothead? I think I would, but if it was a 000-17s or other scallop X braced Collings, SCGC or ? It may help me forget the OM-21.
                 In case you are wondering why I don't include the 000-50 or 60 Larrivee's. It's because the lower bout and depth added together causes shooting pains and numbness in my shoulder and arms. My F-III is the largest Larrivee I can play. I could play a Larrivee OM if it was an older model built at the original smaller specs. But a OM Larrivee slot head 12 fret would be a rare guitar indeed.  
                  Any advice other than enabling blush

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:49:36 AM »

I got a great idea Danny -

Come up with me to Healdsburg, and check out all the handmade guitars from all the boutique shops and custom luthiers! You will probably be able to find a near perfect guitar, and it would only take a second mortgage to bring it home!

But once you know exactly what you want, you can start making plans to find it either used, new, or custom-built -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
gitnoob

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:18:56 AM »

In the spirit of not enabling you, slotheads look cool, but they are a pain to string.   Also, you want mass in the headstock to increase sustain.   Some people even go to the trouble of adding mass to improve the sound.

Slotheads are evil.   mad

(Hey, I tried.   )

Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »

In the spirit of not enabling you, slotheads look cool, but they are a pain to string.   Also, you want mass in the headstock to increase sustain.   Some people even go to the trouble of adding mass to improve the sound.

Slotheads are evil.   mad

(Hey, I tried.   )
  Nice try, Thanks.    But Collings adds mass to their neck. And I like a challenge as far as strings. I do have a few nylon string gits.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:10:03 AM »

And I like a challenge as far as strings.

I thought your forum III would have satisfied that 

Danny, I feel your pain.  I love my F-III and my OM, but I feel like there is a gap in my arsenal for an all hog parlor or OO, just because I love 1960s folk and blues type music that such a guitar could capture.  If there is a gap, it doesn't matter how good your gits are, it still niggles you.

I used to think I needed lots of gits, but now I think I need three (or 4) in total.  Maybe you need to keep the OM-21 and thin the herd of less important guitars??

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:40:11 AM »

Danny, I have the cure for GAS and it is productive too. Everytime you get the urge for a new guitar, play one of the ones you have, non-stop, for an hour. You will find all kinds of stuff in the guitars you already have, if you do this! That's what I do! Sometimes, when I find I'm focused on what is lacking in my 000-60, I play her and then I am reminded that even with the things I don't like about the Larrivee, and there are a few things, there is still nothing I'm capable of playing that the 000 can't handle. The less I play, the more I GAS. The inverse is also true! When all else fails, I play a youtube like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclyijxoTsk

If Josh can do that on the peice of plastic crap he is playing, I'll never need anything better than what I have. Thats the thing I think we forget. Almost any of the PAC rim guitars are better than what Lightnin, Mance, et. al. played on. You have a couple of nice instruments. Play them more and worry less about what you don't have!
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:08:45 PM »

can you say, "HUSS & DALTON OO-SP" ?......I knew you could  bigrin

2nd & 3rd place were

Collings OOO-2H

Matin OOO-28VS  (I think there was one for sale just recently here)

If one of those does not ring your bell....your clappers' broke  bigrin

- Larry   shop for 12 fret slot ?...been there...done that....got a guitar !

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:33:22 PM »

Danny, I have the cure for GAS and it is productive too. Everytime you get the urge for a new guitar, play one of the ones you have, non-stop, for an hour. You will find all kinds of stuff in the guitars you already have, if you do this! That's what I do! Sometimes, when I find I'm focused on what is lacking in my 000-60, I play her and then I am reminded that even with the things I don't like about the Larrivee, and there are a few things, there is still nothing I'm capable of playing that the 000 can't handle. The less I play, the more I GAS. The inverse is also true! When all else fails, I play a youtube like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclyijxoTsk

If Josh can do that on the peice of plastic crap he is playing, I'll never need anything better than what I have. Thats the thing I think we forget. Almost any of the PAC rim guitars are better than what Lightnin, Mance, et. al. played on. You have a couple of nice instruments. Play them more and worry less about what you don't have!

Like it!!!!

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 01:26:46 PM »

have you  tried SCGC H-13??

I know it's no 12 fret/slotted head...as you know it's 13th fret joint and slotted!!

it is by far the best guitar I've ever played... Small and deep body guitar!!

Hopefully you will keep your OM-21! those guitars are whether new or old, just amazing!!

Jeffrey

teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »

Danny

My advice: Don't sell either guitar you currently have. You will probably regret it.

Find an O-16NY Martin and it will give you what you are missing. Here's a link to a picture of one. I have never heard a negative word about these little beauties and if you can't find one, order it through the custom shop.

http://www.om28.com/smartin/64016.html

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »

Keep your guitars.  Do you ever play slide, maybe one of these Rebublics will give you your slothead fix.  Excellent quality...not National Steel quality but close for a lot less... I love my left handed tricone, she growls.  

http://www.republicguitars.com/spiderbridgemodels.html

http://www.republicguitars.com/triconemodels.html

http://www.republicguitars.com/steelbodyduolian.html

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 04:20:30 PM »

Try out a small body Froggy Bottom.  Oh my what a great tone.  ...   ...   ...  and a price to match. 

Then your GAS will be satiated.

Play it daily for best results.
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »

Danny, you gotta do what you gotta do. If you REALLY want a slot head, and it sounds like you do...I think you should get out there and find something that you love.

Also, I think you should seriously take Tad's advice and go to Healdsburg with him.

Good luck with your search and we want to hear all about the end result.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »

Danny

I just love the the 00017s I bought from my friend tom manson back in january.  I can't tell you how much of what makes it special to me is the comfort of the 12 fret, the size and the sape of this particular martin 000, or the fact that it is a slothead.  I think it is those attributes in that order.  it is going to "force" me to sell the L05MT which I actually thin has a slightly more full and rich sound.  Would love to have another 000 in different tonewoods just for variety.  Nothing the matter with finding the one you love and enjoying thaat process before you sell the om21 or something else is there? 

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »

Thanks to all (but "Larry the enabler" )

I really do appreciate the input.  I just bought a custom made flamed maple paddle head. It is a bit smaller than my LS in length but slightly deeper in the body. It has a paddle head and is a 14 fret. But the neck is 1 7/8 at the nut. It is needing some repairs but I think I can handle it. Nut, saddle, frets were not done too well and I may need to reset the neck. But it is a bolt on.
                          It has a very interesting top, looks somewhat like mahogany but with some more pronounced larger grain lines. The body is all solid woods. The neck is 3 piece.  Anyway a small collector had traded for it and sold it to me at a very good price. He has a lot of old really nice Martins and Gibsons, but likes his electrics more. So he sold this one.  I'll get some pics up eventually.

Of course GA_ME gave the wise advice. Play what you got. But I think I'll always have an eye peeled for that just right slot head.
                                       Thanks all  
Danny

I just love the the 00017s I bought from my friend tom manson back in january.  I can't tell you how much of what makes it special to me is the comfort of the 12 fret, the size and the sape of this particular martin 000, or the fact that it is a slothead.  I think it is those attributes in that order.  it is going to "force" me to sell the L05MT which I actually thin has a slightly more full and rich sound.  Would love to have another 000 in different tonewoods just for variety.  Nothing the matter with finding the one you love and enjoying thaat process before you sell the om21 or something else is there? 

jeff

That's the model I think would do the trick for me.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
gitnoob

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 07:47:58 PM »

A nice 000-16-SRGT 12-fret slothead just showed up on eBay.    Perhaps you could buy it so it will stop tempting me.   bigrin

Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »

Dan we stand side by side, I just sold my LV-03e and hoping that a Lav OO-05 slothead comes my way. You sound like your gassin' pretty bad my friend, I hope you find yours soon
cheers
fongie
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 12:00:05 AM »

Danny
If you are serious about a 12-fret slot head I found a couple you may be interested in.

First:  a 2009 Martin 00018GE (golden era) at gbase.com

Second:  A new Webber"millenium special" 000 size 12 fret slot head with macassar ebony back and sides with sitka spruce top at the Guitar Emporium in Seattle.

Neither one is cheap;  The Webber, in particular, has a hefty price tag but boy is it a looker.  I can definitely see you playing it.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 12:41:54 AM »

Thanks fongie and tuffy, I think I'll play the ones I have, work on some that need to be finished up (at least four) and keep an eye out for a MT 000 SH.  (in the Martin 000 size)

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 02:50:27 AM »

Everytime you get the urge for a new guitar, play one of the ones you have, non-stop, for an hour. You will find all kinds of stuff in the guitars you already have, if you do this! That's what I do!
Ask not what a guitar can do for you but ask what you can do with the guitar! +1

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: