Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I like my F-III but GAS keeps coming back.  (Read 3621 times)
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 05:06:55 AM »

"trading the OM-21 in if need be."              

ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy

Danny ! Think this through mate. Great guitars a really hard to come by. Our recent conversation about OM-21s really got me thinking about whether I wanted to let my OM-03R go. Its a good one, so Im keeping it no matter what.

Incidently I just put a deposit on a new OM-21.   ......but keep in under your Stetson, I'll announce it properly with pics once Ive got it in my grimy hands.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.
Dr.Z Mini Z. incoming.....

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
alvinlam

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »

Comparison kills contentment. 

Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »

ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy

Danny ! Think this through mate. Great guitars a really hard to come by. Our recent conversation about OM-21s really got me thinking about whether I wanted to let my OM-03R go. Its a good one, so Im keeping it no matter what.

Incidently I just put a deposit on a new OM-21.   ......but keep in under your Stetson, I'll announce it properly with pics once Ive got it in my grimy hands.

Cheers, Scott.
   I would only trade in my OM-21 for a special guitar with "all" the features I have listed. Which would probably wind up being a Martin 000-17s or a SCGC, Collings copy of a 12 fret slot head Martin.

Comparison kills contentment. 
You got that right.
This morning I played my small body 66 Gibson then the F-III and then the OM-21. The Gibby is for sale, but after playing it awhile I realize I'd rather keep it. But I bought another git a few days ago and something needs to go. (It's getting crowded in the closets)
     But every time I play the OM-21 I think that it better stay right here. Of course the F-III "ain't goin nowhere".

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »

Danny, I would take a serious look @ trying to find one of those Martin O-16NY. Have heard nothing but great things about them. Also, I would take Tad's advice & head to that show. As you know, there are MANY custom, unknown builder guitars that can be had for a song & dance. Don't sell that OM-21 you really do love so much! They are fantastic guitars & now that you have some Beemer money, you can shop, be patient, & really get what you want. You are blessed with all of the guitars you have & the ability to add, apparently when other things work out for you. As you know, I want a OOO or OO 12-fret slot head all HOG, but am doing something else I never dreamed I would. Let's just say Luca's in my future?
   Good luck & enjoy your trip with Tad? Always wanted to go to a guitar show, just never had the chance. This might be just a sign of what lays ahead for you!
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 04:06:38 PM »

Jeff thanks for reminding me of this.

I got a great idea Danny -

Come up with me to Healdsburg, and check out all the handmade guitars from all the boutique shops and custom luthiers! You will probably be able to find a near perfect guitar, and it would only take a second mortgage to bring it home!

But once you know exactly what you want, you can start making plans to find it either used, new, or custom-built -

Tad
                       Tad I would have jumped on this offer but my wife already has plans for me and a trip that weekend.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »

Danny:

Take Jeff's advice and try to find a Martin 0-16 NY. 

I found this on you tube and this guy had a couple of other tunes posted last year that I can't find. The recording isn't perfect but you get a sense of the capabilities of this guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlmePdC20sU

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 05:53:55 PM »

I will keep this one on the list to look for.   Thanks teh.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »

This Healsdburg show is going to be very interesting - There are going to be alot of builders there with guitars that I only see come up on the AGF For Sale section preceded by " I really hate to do this because it is the BEST guitar I've ever played, but . .  ".   Most of them I could maybe do a down payment on if I sold ALL my Larrivees, but probably not much more than that.

I hope I am surprised and find some interesting and affordable instruments, but I am not holding my breath for that, especially since my current definition of "affordable" is pretty minimal. What I really want to see ( and play? ) are some of the interesting build styles - fan frets, bevel-edged, parabolic bracing, pinless bridges, etc. etc. ,  that I have only read about and seen pictures of. There are also a couple of interesting builders workshops that I would like to attend. I just can't decide whether to blow the bucks on a motel room, or just drive up and back each day.

I will definitely take alot of pics - I'll even try to borrow my sons' good camera so they may look acceptable.

I know I'll have severe GAS while up there, but I also know that when I get home and play my F3s, or my BT,  or my hog top 12, I'll come back to earth and be acutely aware of how incredible these are, and for the prices I paid, just how lucky I am compared to the many people who haven't discovered Larrivees -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »

I really do wish I could come with you. I have already committed to this trip with the little lady. So do take lots of pics and lots of notes.  And yes you have a LOT of very nice guitars.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: