Action and New Strings

Started by texasjt, August 06, 2009, 07:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've had my guitar for a couple weeks now (10 yr old D03) and I need some free advice.  OK, OK... :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 ...I'll share my donuts.

1 - Low E string height at 1st fret is .60 mm (3/128 in).  At the 12th fret its 3.00 mm (15/128 in).  Neck is straight.  Is this OK?

2 - I was given a set of Elixir 80/20 Bronze with Nanoweb coating (Light .011 - .052).  I put them on and the guitar is too bright and no longer has the soothing mellow sound it had with the Martin 80/20 Bronze Lights I replaced with the Elixirs.  Help, I want my mellow back!

Thanks Everyone...Jim

Quote from: texasjt on August 06, 2009, 07:12:42 AM
I've had my guitar for a couple weeks now (10 yr old D03) and I need some free advice.  OK, OK... :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 ...I'll share my donuts.

1 - Low E string height at 1st fret is .60 mm (3/128 in).  At the 12th fret its 3.00 mm (15/128 in).  Neck is straight.  Is this OK?

2 - I was given a set of Elixir 80/20 Bronze with Nanoweb coating (Light .011 - .052).  I put them on and the guitar is too bright and no longer has the soothing mellow sound it had with the Martin 80/20 Bronze Lights I replaced with the Elixirs.  Help, I want my mellow back!

Thanks Everyone...Jim
Take the Elixir strings off and go back to an 80/20 set. Elixir strings are known to be very bright. New strings of any type will be on the bright side and can take some playing for them to settle down.
The set up depends on your playing style. I do everthin in .00! of an inch so I will convert .
Bass 15/128  = .117 on the bass. This is high for all bet aggressive Bluegrass. More normal all around set would be .110 to .105.   Fingerstyle .095 or lower if no fingernails or picks are used.
  High E  You have no measurements but a all around set of .100 is on the high side of good. Fingerstyle no nails no picks .085"
  This gives you a good range of ideas that can be adjusted per your playing style.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Jim -

One follow up question.  Is the string height at the 12th fret being 5 times the string height at the first fret normal with a straight neck?

The action at the 12th fret is going to be a lot higher than at the 1st. I agree with what Jim says about the action being on the high side. It depends on the guitar and player but you generally should be able to get the action under .110 for a guitar used for flatpicking.

Quote from: texasjt on August 06, 2009, 08:28:44 AM
Jim -

One follow up question.  Is the string height at the 12th fret being 5 times the string height at the first fret normal with a straight neck?
I do not know about 5 x's but the action at the first fret is set just a few thousands over the height of the top of the 1st fret. ( playing style dependent ).  The vibration of the string it the greatest at the center of the vibrating length. Additional clearance is needed at the 12 fret to allow for the maximum amplitude of the vibration to clear the fret tops with out hitting them and buzzing. The amplitude of the lower strings vibration is largest than the high strings. That is why there is more clearance on the low side.   There should be a gradual increase in the hight of the strings from the top of the frets as you move up the fretboard.
Jim Holler, Luthier

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on August 06, 2009, 09:41:04 AM
The vibration of the string it the greatest at the center of the vibrating length. Additional clearance is needed at the 12 fret to allow for the maximum amplitude of the vibration to clear the fret tops with out hitting them and buzzing.

I found this picture, which I hope shows what Jim means

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Ben nice photo. I find it very interesting. This string is actually vibrating like it was played as a harmonic. See the nodes or places where it seames like the string is not moving? That indicates the the vibration or amplitude of the string has been made to vibrate at a harmonic rather that a natural full length frequency. That is why a harmonic sound higher pitched than a natural note.
Jim Holler, Luthier

www.TrinityGuitars.com