Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newer Guilds - Opinions?  (Read 1442 times)
Folkestone

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2009, 04:56:38 PM »

Hi Everyone:

has anyone tried any of the USA-made Guilds.  I am particularily impressed (at least initially) by the build and tonal quality of the D55.  Is it my imagination, or do we have something here?

Your opinions, please.

Thanks,
Jeff
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »

I like the current USA made Guilds very much.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:03:27 PM »

The recently made Tacoma Guilds were outstanding and a real bargain. 

Is the new factory (in Conn?) up and making Guilds now?

Too bad that the Tacoma guitar brand was axed (so to speak).

Play it daily for best results.
mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:50:50 PM »

I played several of the Tacoma built Guilds at one of our local music stores. Very impressed with the D-55, D-60 and D-50. The D-50 and 60 both had adirondack tops. They were a little stiff sounding, but I could tell that both were already banjo killers. Whoever ended up with either of those guitars will have something special once they open up!

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 04:10:33 AM »

To me they are pretty "meh".  I like the lively sound of the old bowlbacked Guilds better.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 07:32:24 AM »

I played a new D-55 a few years ago while living in Japan and it was definitely a bluegrass cannon.  That thing had balls and asked for more.

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
L-fan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »

Acoustic Guitar mag had a recent review of one of the first available Connecticut factory models:

http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=25177

Scott

RS-2
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »

I have a Corona made D55.  A great guitar in build and sound.

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »

Acoustic Guitar mag had a recent review of one of the first available Connecticut factory models:

http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=25177

This aricle mentions that the newer D-40s have a 30-foot top radius, and the older versions have a 40-foot top radius.  How is this measurement derived, and how will the older and newer versions differ in sound?  My D-40 from 1974 has sustain that goes on for days, yet the newer ones supposedly have incredible sustain.  I'm always skeptical of what I read in these reviews, but I did recently try a new CT D-40, and it sounded great.

DAVE

-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 03:43:47 PM »

This aricle mentions that the newer D-40s have a 30-foot top radius, and the older versions have a 40-foot top radius.  How is this measurement derived, and how will the older and newer versions differ in sound?  My D-40 from 1974 has sustain that goes on for days, yet the newer ones supposedly have incredible sustain.  I'm always skeptical of what I read in these reviews, but I did recently try a new CT D-40, and it sounded great.

DAVE

Dave the measurements are derived from the profile of the bracing and sometimes also the top and back rims. You have to picture a sphere in the radius size you are dealing with. You can make or purchase radius workboards that have a cross section of a sphere recessed in them. Think of it like this, if you have a 28 foot radius dish you could use it as a base to set a 28 foot ball on and the sphere would mate perfectly with the recess in the dish. The radius creates tension in the top which helps it hold shape against the tension of the strings. Some folks just radius the top and back and then glue them to flat rims while others also radius the rims as well. By creating the tension in the top you are able to lighten the bracing while maintaining strength.

You can attach pressure sensitive sandpaper to the radius dish to use to sand the profile into your bracing. Then when you glue the bracing to the top or back you lay the top in the dish, in a go bar deck, and then the go bars force the top to conform to the radius of the bracing. When you remove the top from the go bar deck it has the radius built in.

I'm attaching some pics of a top I did for a guitar I rebuilt. I retopped the guitar and carved a new neck for it. In the last pic with the top glued on you can see the radius across the top. It is a 28 foot radius.

[attachment deleted by admin]
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 04:06:07 PM »

I've added two more pics of the X brace that illustrate a bit better what I was trying to describe. The first pic has the   X with no radius while the second shows the X after it was profiled to a 28 foot radius. Notice how high the first is from the surface of the dish and how the second photograph shows the X matching the 28 foot profile. I hope this helps ya understand Dave. I am feeling a bit unable to communicate clearly this morning.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 05:47:11 PM »

GA-ME if your having trouble communicating clearly  I would love to see how you communicate when your in full clear state of mind.Great explaination.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »

I thought large radius arched tops were an innovation of Huss and Dalton. How long has this technique been around? And who else builds a 'flat' top this way?

As far as Guild goes: the best one I ever let get away was a jumbo with an arched back (Paul Simon played one back in the 80s). If it had a wider neck and smaller body I might still have it but I was strictly classical at the time and the jumbo body was not a lap guitar.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »

GA-ME--

Thanks for the explaination and wonderful photos of your neck/top project. 

After viewing your response, I checked out the specs of my LSV11 on the Larrivee site.  My Larrivee has a 16-21'' compound fretboard radius.  What exactly does this mean?  I assume it has something to do with the curvature of the fingerboard conforming to the shape, arch, of the top.  Am I on the right track?  What specifically does "compound" mean in this context?  Does this feature somehow enhance one's ability to change chords or fingerpick with less effort say in comparison to a flat fretboard? 

Thanks for the education.

DAVE 

-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »

It seems that Fender is doing it's best to make Guild there premium acoustic guitar line. The Old Ovation factory in Connecticut as well as the new Tacoma facility are now building the made in the USA Guilds. Still I think it's strange that low end Chinese made guitars should carry the Guild name when fender has so many brands at there access . I played a cheap laminated Chinese made Guild Classical guitar. It was a decent instrument for the price but it should have been billed as a Squire not a Guild.  

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: