Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking At A Omv-05e, Any Comments?  (Read 1408 times)
Monkeyfist

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2003, 06:56:33 PM »

I'm new to the board and I am looking at a Larrivee OMV-05E. Does anyone here have any experiance/issues/raves with this model? This will be my first Larrivee after owning almost excessive quanities of other guitars. I've been playing for over 33 years and mostly play a strat with a country band. What can I expect from the OMV-05E? Thanks for your comments.

Munk
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 07:01:46 PM »

welcome to the board.you can expect nothing but happiness and joy.Larrivee's mahogany guitars have the BEST TONE of any of the OM's out there IMO.great freq responce not dull like a few I've played...wait this sounds like an advertizement...anyway play one there scary nice sounding and playing ;)  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Monkeyfist

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 07:11:46 PM »

Thanks unclrob! How would the OMV-05E compare to a Taylor 814CE?

Munk
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 08:47:22 PM »

Larrivee=Juicy Red Apple,Taylor= rotton onion....only kidding ;) ,if you check with any one on the board I'm NOT a Taylor fan.But it is like comparing apple and oranges.Tayor's seem to make the electric guitar people feel more comfortable because of the stratish qualities,Larrivee is more acoustic.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JasonA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 09:25:14 PM »

Well, if you are going to compare the two, pick similar models. You're comparing a small body mahogany to a bigger rosewood guitar. The closest Taylor to a Larrivee OMV-05E would be a 512CE. An 814CE is going to compare to a Larrivee L-09E. Very different guitars.

It's all preference of course, but in the smaller body though, I think the Larrivee OMs kill the x12 guitars. The x14 models compared to the L guitars is a closer matchup.
Monkeyfist

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 09:55:04 PM »

Yes you are correct, I should have typed 812ce instead of an 814ce, my mistake. So how would the OMV-05E and the 812ce compare?

Thanks, Munk
JasonA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 10:44:31 PM »

Well, you're still comparing mahogany to rosewood. (The OMV-09E would be the Larrivee rosewood guitar.) They're both pretty balanced sounding instruments, but I find the Larrivee OMs are typically louder, have more bass presence, and handle strumming better. Both are quite good at fingerstyle playing.

A lot of it is individual perception though. I like the Larrivees better (and they're cheaper!), but if you ask at the Taylor Forum you can predict that the responses will be different.
bino

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 03:26:46 AM »

Munk:

I recently purchased a Morgan OM that is just a fantastic sounding and playing guitar.  I have played several Larrivee OM's.  They were all very nice guitars, and I liked the sound very much.  (Definitely my second choice)  I have had chance to play several Taylor 510's.  A 512 would be the fairest comparison, but I have not played any of these.  Hands down I liked all of the Larrivees better than any of the Taylor 510's ... however, to be fair, the boomy sound of the 10's came through probably to bias me against them somewhat.  I would definitely look at a Larrivee OM or L body series.

Just my .02
bino <_<

Bino

Guild Maple Dreadnaught D30 (2001)
Morgan Mahogany OM (2003)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnaught D-03R (2012)
Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnaught D40SBL (1977)
Daddyo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 09:31:17 PM »

I have a L03R and really like it but I played an OM 3R in a store and discovered it fit my body better. I play fingerstyle seated in the classical position and the OM is smaller and thinner and molds into my body better. The L03R is 1/2" deeper and 1/2" wider so I'm stretched a little more. But the L03R has a bigger sopund(IMHO) and so I will stretch a little. But my, that )M feels like it is part of my body.

Larrivee L-03R with iBeam passive and LR Bigs ParaDI
Aria AC50
Robert Cray Stratocaster
Ibanez AS 73 Artcore
Fender Precision Standard Bass
Traynor YCV 40T
Roland Cube 30
Yorkville XM 50
Aria FA 71
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: