Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendation of Strings for Goodall Standard  (Read 1103 times)
alvinlam

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

Hi, Got a used but excellent condition rosewood Goodall standard a month ago, and have fixed EJ16 on it. Sounds wonderful. Just wonder if any Goodall owner in this forum would share their preference here and reasons?   THanks 

Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."
vibroluxreverb

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:33 PM »

As you've no doubt learned by now, Goodalls are very, very responsive.  Everything is articulated and amplified and that can be both good and bad, depending.  I would never even considered using coated strings on any other guitar I have ever owned.  They always sound too dampened, almost dead.  But, on a Goodall, coated strings can scrub off just enough of the unwanted overtones, finger squeal, fret buzz, etc.  Can't hurt to give 'em a try.   

Martin DCPA4 Rosewood, Gibson J-45, Larrivee Forum III spruce/mahogany, Gretsch Tennessee Rose, Fender AVRI '62 Custom Telecaster, Vibrolux Reverb, Blues Jr.
Tony Burns

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »

I use the Elixar coated  80/20's  on my standard - thats what Goodall originally put on the instrument. their not cheap strings - but they do sound nice on the instrument .Mine is the AKS model ( Koa back and sides )- Love that instrument !
alvinlam

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:38:47 PM »

I use the Elixar coated  80/20's  on my standard - thats what Goodall originally put on the instrument. their not cheap strings - but they do sound nice on the instrument .Mine is the AKS model ( Koa back and sides )- Love that instrument !

Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about 80/20 for the Standard when I change a new set. But I'm going to give D'Addario EXP11 (also coated 80/20) a try first

Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."
Tony Burns

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 02:05:12 AM »

You can trust me on this -Dadarrio are great strings -they are my favorite string brand period -But when it comes to Goodalls Elixars stand out when it comes to overtones and sound . Dadarrio are cheaper ( especially with that 2 for one sale just about everybody ran) but Goodalls sound best with Elixars 80/20 light gauge . just trying to save you some time and money !
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:44:55 AM »

GHS Juber true mediums or lights dependent on what the top wood is....I've been through them all and to my ear they are by far the best.
I've got more than 30 sets sealed in plastic in my closet!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: