Very special Martin custom

Started by mrkpower, May 22, 2009, 09:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone knows what model it's? and any other pics for that?? :nice guitar:

just found the link today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j23bmK4xfB0

[attachment deleted by admin]

Not sure of the model, but it looks dorky to me. I was at the Martin Factory today and I think I saw one like it but just took a quick glance and went on to the ones I liked.

I think that's the Artinger OM;
http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=OMC%20Artinger%201

not even  a custom shop jobbie, it's a regular production model

just noticed that the one in the photo is the prototype, with Koa back & sides, rosewood bindings, the production has the reverse woods, the prototype also has inlays in the fb that the production version does not have...

d.

I think it's pretty great looking if you like Art Deco. I wonder how it sounds. I guess it's good that Martin realizes that not everyone is a curmudgeon traditionalist.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: limnephilidae on May 23, 2009, 04:25:46 PM
I think it's pretty great looking if you like Art Deco. I wonder how it sounds. I guess it's good that Martin realizes that not everyone is a curmudgeon traditionalist.
:?

Seems like Martin has REALLY gotten away from traditionalism:
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/OMCESEA.htm
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/10U-5081.htm
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/000CEALT.htm

On reflection I'll stay with my simple L-03!!!

fred
:nanadance

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Feel to me like those old Swatch watches - No matter how ugly, someone will like them and undoubtedly, some people will feel they are highly collectible.

Not my cup of tea. I have no problems with decorating a guitar, but I'd give my money to Peter Cree and get something attractive -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I like the guitar at the factory. But you could put a Martin label on a bag of crap, and people would pay big $ for it and say "but it's quality crap." I feel sorry for the collectors who store it under their beds.

If they lined that aluminum topped one with aluminum at least you could fill it with beer.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I believe that's an artinger...

Terence
www.guitarbench.com

Quote from: mrkpower on May 22, 2009, 09:15:52 PM
anyone knows what model it's? and any other pics for that?? :nice guitar:
i like the Dean guitar logos in the background.
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: leftync on May 24, 2009, 02:14:09 PM
I like the guitar at the factory. But you could put a Martin label on a bag of crap, and people would pay big $ for it and say "but it's quality crap." I feel sorry for the collectors who store it under their beds.

Being a "newbie" here, I know I shouldn't admit this, (yet!), but I'm one of those dummies!

Yes, I "store them under the bed".

Well......the space under the bed ran out a LONG time ago, and my bed ROOM now has the opposing wall lined with guitars, several deep, (in their cases, of course), that I bought because I loved them for not only their quality build and their world class tone, (and to be honest with you guys and myself, not all of them have "world class tone"), but often just because of their artistic beauty, their craftsmanship, and in particular, with the "Beatle-related" guitars, (all reissues, I sold any vintage stuff I had and stopped buying it years ago), the incredible VIBE I get while holding them. (Yes, I said "holding".....most of them were only played a few minutes upon purchase and then never again....I can almost hear some of you gagging!)

Here's a teeny little section of the wall....

I suppose having somewhere between 60 and 70 guitars that never leave their cases, (in all honesty, I haven't SEEN some of them in a few years....the ones at the back of the rows, anyway. But isn't that true of many guys who collect coins or stamps? It's knowing you HAVE them that can be strangely comforting in a very cruel world sometimes.....

Almost forgot!!
The subject of the OP?? That Martin?

COOL!!!

I'd love to own that PT, exactly as the build is described and pictured!

When I bought the Number 2 of the 3 Gibson J-160E Lennon "Fab Four" (the sunburst model) prototypes, (Yoko got #1 shipped to her for her approval before production commenced....as anticipated she approved it and it was given to her as a gift from Gibson Montana), prototype #2, which was the backup in case #1 was lost or damaged in shipping, then went to a VP for the largest guitar retailer in the world, (we all know who THAT is), and #3 was used for all the promotional work, photo ops, etc, before landing in the hands of a very appreciative high volume west coast Gibson dealer, who retains it to this day. The VP who got #2 left to start his own non-gear related biz, and offered #2 for sale, with lots of provenence and related documentation to support the claim, which I have verifified as 100% accurate.

Scoring that guitar, which is just a J160E to non-Beatle fans, is almost the Holy Grail of reissue Beatle guitars for guys like me, who live and breathe The Beatles.

So I know many guys absolutely LOVE prototypes, especially ones that are a bit unusual like the Martin pictured, and they do take a nice place in the collection of guys who look for the unique and unusual!

Quote from: dependan on May 22, 2009, 09:37:03 PM
   Not sure of the model, but it looks dorky to me. I was at the Martin Factory today and I think I saw one like it but just took a quick glance and went on to the ones I liked.

:+1: Yuk. Id take Danny's OM-21 anyday before that thing. Im sure danny would just hand it over to me too... :whistling:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

My opinion of Martin has been low recently -( with the introduction of that Dread and OM with the stratabond neck- think their junk) but now i like the fact that their breaking away from the traditional - in the past theyed always stick to their guns- even when they were wrong ( like the refusal to put adjustable truss rods in their guitars in the sevneties ) . If  their trying to make better guitars and their willing to experiment - then their growing a brain !

Quote from: mrkpower on July 28, 2009, 09:01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j23bmK4xfB0

here is the link, much pretty than pic!!!!!!
Thanks for the link, I looked at some others that came up also. I still think this D-100 is just waaaaaaaaaay over the top. The back looks ridiculous to me.

The guitar on the video seems to have a MUCH better look than on the photo!!?

Didn't realize it was a baritone at first. Me likey.

:thumb
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

The video is much nicer, but for $20,000 - I think there are a few other guitars I'd rather get -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -