Best and worst deal you ever got on a guitar?

Started by DaveyO, July 28, 2009, 06:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yrs ago I had a nice Guild d25 that I let go, it was factory red and looked pretty cool,I let that go really cheap, I didnt know better.
Best deal I ever got was a all wood Japanese made Takamine an16, for 4 benjamins,great deal but I sold it cause I didnt like the neck.
Ok, whos next?
Dave

Best deal was a Larrivee LV-03R Bearclaw. For 625 ;-)   It had barely been played in six years and was like new.
   Worst was a Fender 12 string, but I only paid 150 for it so no huge loss. I still have it but it's junk.

( I also consider the Forum III to be a great deal)

Best in 1974 I bought a 59 Gibson Les Paul for $250.Worst I sold it 2 years latter for $3000,now there worth about $250,000.

PS:I really hated that guitar but  :crying:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Best deals
1. Traded a Tommy armor pitching wedge for a 65 strat in 1977 I had paid $ 2.00 for the pitching wedge 6 month earlier.
2. Bought 1964 guild F-35nt in  1974 for $ 85.00
3. Bought a 1944 D-28  with no pickgard, no tuners, finish very bad some removed and the back striped  , 3 cracks on sides, and some binding missing For $ 200.00 in 1985 it was one of the last with scalloped bracing.
4. Bought my first larry a D-05 with gryphon headstock inlay on eBay new from dealer new with warranty for $ 705.00
5. 1984 Yamaha LL-25 ( great guitar ) got it for $ 305.00 about 3 years ago they go for about $ 1,200.00 used
6. Bought used D-60 about a year ago  with  very minimal  wear and a 3" center seam separation  on the back with lr baggs pickup for 910.00
7. Just got a used Eastman 915 mandolin for  $ 1,000.00 it is in great shape  the cheapest I've see one go for used is around 1,600.00 so I felt real lucky getting that one.

Worst deal .
My first guitar, my parents paid $ 45.00 used  for a ten cent guitar. Bridge pulled off first week and had to be bolted back on. Sold it later to my good friend and band member Alan Hamel ( the one that used to work in the fender custom shop ) in fact I sold him 2 guitars. He sold me a Yamaha 160 so he could buy a fender villager that got riped off  a couple of months later so I sold it back to him.

If your not in a hurry you can get some real deals Flathead
Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )

My best deal was my C-05 Lav. sold dirt cheap here in Australia and mistaken for a L model. My worse was my Seagull FM which I bought thinking it was solid wood but since sold.
cheers
fongie

Best deal is my new addition...a 1978 Larrivee C28 Florentine cutaway...previously owned by Mr. Cockburn (still need to get in touch with Bruce through his management company or David Wren).  There's a link to some pics on the first post I left here (you'll find some yummy donuts in that thread too).

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=27401.msg250282#msg250282

Probably the best deal I got was a David Flammang Sitka/HOG OM for $1800, around mid '90's when he was just starting. It was the best guitar I've ever owned, having a RW model also, bought @ the same time. Just didn't compare to the HOG body one. The tops on both were from submerged spruce logs found in Alaska that were over !00 years old. There were a limited # of sets available @ a NAMM show, where he picked some up. Just an incredible guitar. Now, he sells for around $5500-6000 base price. I don't have the cash, but if I did, he just built a prototype archtop which is for sale @ the boutique store near me for, get this, $1800! Will be a collector's item, being his first of that style. I want it! But it would be an investment only & sit, so much care would have to be given, esp. not knowing how stable his archtops are?
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

The worst deal: I bought a crappy plywood Ibanez 12 string in 1991 or 90 for about $300 brand new. The shop had a used early 12 string larrivee for less than $200. Since i'd never heard of Larrivee's back then, decided to buy the Ibanez....:-(
Could have been the best deal but turned out to be the worst....

The best deal I ever had on a guitar was when I bought my Larrivee spruce & rosewood parlor guitar - it was one of the very first rosewood models they ever made. Spent $369 on it new because the guitar store couldn;t move it for months - they were normally $469...

My best deal on ukulele was a Larrive spruce & mahogany soprano - it was shopworn from Elderly, and man it is the best uke I have ever had and still have... I think it was under $400, which was quite a deal for fancy Larrivee uke. I never cared about the fancy stuff, but I do care about the tone and sustain...

The worst deal was a new 1978 Martin OM I got mailorder from Elderly (pre- internet!!!) - don;t remember what I paid, but it was a real disappointment. I lost money reselling it...

Quote from: unclrob on July 28, 2009, 09:18:33 PM
Best in 1974 I bought a 59 Gibson Les Paul for $250.Worst I sold it 2 years latter for $3000,now there worth about $250,000.

PS:I really hated that guitar but  :crying:

Ouch Rob...

I bought a '59 Lester custom around the same time, but i loved it, so i still have it today, but not at home tho... it survived one house fire that evaporated it's case, and two thefts, in one everything (including the bass cab) was stolen from our pratice space, when they kicked the door down, it fell on top of my guitar cases, and they never looked under it, so i ended up keeping my two guitars (the lester & a burst '73 Tele thinline custom)... everyone else lost everything tho.... guess they were meant to be with me for a while longer?

It and the '54 D18 i bought around the same time are great deals in $$, but really they are great deals becuase i have made music with them for decades now.

Other deals are the '32 Dobro model 19 prototype i bought for $80 USD in Soon Jin China, and the 1898 Lyon & Healy parlor/0 that had been re-braced for steel strings, that one was $200.

On the "bad deal" side...  worked with Bobby Friese about a decade ago- he's an engineer/producer who also played guitar in John Lennon's band, and recorded the guitar tracks in "Happy Christmas, War is over", he used a Ovation for all those tracks, and after trying everything in my pile, we decided that his Ovation recorded the best, so after that experience i went out and bought one... but the sound was more in Bobby's ears than the choice of guitar... and i ended up gifting it to a family member who sold his only guitar to buy his future wife her ring... that was a decade ago, and he still plays Beatles covers on it daily... so it ended up where it was meant to be i guess.... it never worked for me after i finished the project with Bobby!

Everything else was a good deal because they bring music through their doorways ;-)

d.