Santa Cruz 000 - Madi

Started by Zohn, July 27, 2009, 01:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We don't have too many of those here in Africa!!
I played a used one on Saturday, and I was totally swept away. That 12-fretter was most comfy, the tone warm and complex and and the Madagascar looks terrific.  :drool: I also loved the vintage appointments with Herringbone, Pyramid bridge, and a slotted head with evergreen Waverlies. Wow, I could do with $3k right now...
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I've played a new one. It was a wonderful guitar - nice comfortable 000 size, beautiful tone, very balanced -
one of my favorite guitars - I seem to recall it had a wide neck - 1 13/16 or 1 7/8 - which I liked very much.

I was shopping for my first steel string in years and could only afford something in the $800 - 1200 range at that time.
The guy at the store put the Santa Cruz 000 in my hands - hoping I would get hooked on it and buy it anyway -
It was $3,800 new as I recall. I ended up buying my first Larrivee instead - a new L-03R.

I like my Larrivee SD-50 best, but if I could afford a 000 size guitar - there are two that I think are exceptional
the Santa Cruz 000 12 fret slot, and the Collings 000-2H 12 fret slot.

They are wonderful for fingerstyle playing.

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Quote from: lw216316 on July 27, 2009, 07:38:56 AM

I like my Larrivee SD-50 best, but if I could afford a 000 size guitar - there are two that I think are exceptional
the Santa Cruz 000 12 fret slot, and the Collings 000-2H 12 fret slot.

They are wonderful for fingerstyle playing.

- Larry
:+1: :+1: - I have forever wanted an H-13 though, and whilst I've never played nor seen one, it will always be my mysterious "love to have" - after all, they come in Spruce/Hog too Larry!!!
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on July 27, 2009, 11:12:33 AM
:+1: :+1: - I have forever wanted an H-13 though, and whilst I've never played nor seen one, it will always be my mysterious "love to have" - after all, they come in Spruce/Hog too Larry!!!

Gday Zohn, the H-13 is sensational. Nick Charles, a local blues artist here whos had some international acclaim recently plays one. Great sound, and lots of it for such a small guitar. I did a few guitar lessons with him a while ago, an amazing player. I wanted to ask him if I could play it but I was scared he would say no. Cos Im kinda shy.... :whistling:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on July 29, 2009, 07:43:17 AM

Gday Zohn, the H-13 is sensational. Nick Charles, a local blues artist here whos had some international acclaim recently plays one. Great sound, and lots of it for such a small guitar. I did a few guitar lessons with him a while ago, an amazing player. I wanted to ask him if I could play it but I was scared he would say no. Cos Im kinda shy.... :whistling:

Cheers, Scott.
Depends how you look at it:  half-empty or half-full. Well chances are he might say yes too you know - Scotty being shy..? yeah right, nice one mate!  :roll :roll

Quote from: Zohn on July 29, 2009, 12:14:25 PM
Scotty being shy..? yeah right, nice one mate!  :roll :roll

It seems my reputation precedes me !  :wink:

Hows that Jumbo settling in?

Cheers, scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on August 01, 2009, 06:17:28 AM

It seems my reputation precedes me !  :wink:

Hows that Jumbo settling in?

Cheers, scott.
Hey Mate!
the J-05 is the best one of the three, nou doubt - seems there's something good about buying used after all - at least in this case. It is soooooo responsive and the action is great.

Between you and Larry stirring up the "high end" GAS around here we all are going to be broke :humour:

I was thinking again about a Larri 000 when I saw the pics I took of Tuffy's MT 000. His is as nice looking as any git made like it. But the depth of the body and size of the lower bout make it a shoulder problem for me. I still would like to have a 00 or 000 slot head though and the Martin 000 series are smaller than Larri's to make them just right for me.
    Of course so are these H&D, SCGC, and other high $ guitars that are mentioned. Maybe someday :blush: