Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Cruz 000 - Madi  (Read 1367 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:55:38 AM »

We don't have too many of those here in Africa!!
I played a used one on Saturday, and I was totally swept away. That 12-fretter was most comfy, the tone warm and complex and and the Madagascar looks terrific.  drool I also loved the vintage appointments with Herringbone, Pyramid bridge, and a slotted head with evergreen Waverlies. Wow, I could do with $3k right now...

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »

I've played a new one. It was a wonderful guitar - nice comfortable 000 size, beautiful tone, very balanced -
one of my favorite guitars - I seem to recall it had a wide neck - 1 13/16 or 1 7/8 - which I liked very much.

I was shopping for my first steel string in years and could only afford something in the $800 - 1200 range at that time.
The guy at the store put the Santa Cruz 000 in my hands - hoping I would get hooked on it and buy it anyway -
It was $3,800 new as I recall. I ended up buying my first Larrivee instead - a new L-03R.

I like my Larrivee SD-50 best, but if I could afford a 000 size guitar - there are two that I think are exceptional
the Santa Cruz 000 12 fret slot, and the Collings 000-2H 12 fret slot.

They are wonderful for fingerstyle playing.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »

I like my Larrivee SD-50 best, but if I could afford a 000 size guitar - there are two that I think are exceptional
the Santa Cruz 000 12 fret slot, and the Collings 000-2H 12 fret slot.

They are wonderful for fingerstyle playing.

- Larry
+1 +1 - I have forever wanted an H-13 though, and whilst I've never played nor seen one, it will always be my mysterious "love to have" - after all, they come in Spruce/Hog too Larry!!!

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »

+1 +1 - I have forever wanted an H-13 though, and whilst I've never played nor seen one, it will always be my mysterious "love to have" - after all, they come in Spruce/Hog too Larry!!!

Gday Zohn, the H-13 is sensational. Nick Charles, a local blues artist here whos had some international acclaim recently plays one. Great sound, and lots of it for such a small guitar. I did a few guitar lessons with him a while ago, an amazing player. I wanted to ask him if I could play it but I was scared he would say no. Cos Im kinda shy.... whistling

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »

Gday Zohn, the H-13 is sensational. Nick Charles, a local blues artist here whos had some international acclaim recently plays one. Great sound, and lots of it for such a small guitar. I did a few guitar lessons with him a while ago, an amazing player. I wanted to ask him if I could play it but I was scared he would say no. Cos Im kinda shy.... whistling

Cheers, Scott.
Depends how you look at it:  half-empty or half-full. Well chances are he might say yes too you know - Scotty being shy..? yeah right, nice one mate! 

obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »

Scotty being shy..? yeah right, nice one mate! 

It seems my reputation precedes me ! 

Hows that Jumbo settling in?

Cheers, scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 12:35:44 PM »

It seems my reputation precedes me ! 

Hows that Jumbo settling in?

Cheers, scott.
Hey Mate!
the J-05 is the best one of the three, nou doubt - seems there's something good about buying used after all - at least in this case. It is soooooo responsive and the action is great.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »

Between you and Larry stirring up the "high end" GAS around here we all are going to be broke

I was thinking again about a Larri 000 when I saw the pics I took of Tuffy's MT 000. His is as nice looking as any git made like it. But the depth of the body and size of the lower bout make it a shoulder problem for me. I still would like to have a 00 or 000 slot head though and the Martin 000 series are smaller than Larri's to make them just right for me.
    Of course so are these H&D, SCGC, and other high $ guitars that are mentioned. Maybe someday blush

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: