Zebrawood (now that we know how to spell it)

Started by AgeOfEmpires, July 24, 2009, 10:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wow that Zebrawood OM-03 at Trinity sure is nice looking.  Wonder how it sounds.  Anyone want to buy it for me?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Okay, now you are exposing your unique sense of humor to the unsuspecting forum.  :roll

Rest easy guys, I've got this handled.  :humour:

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

It's zebrawood not zibrawood.

I think John called it "Zibrawood" on his web site....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: jeremy3220 on July 24, 2009, 11:08:42 AM
It is Zebrawood.  Any one reading my posts must know by now that dyslexia has put a hurt on my ability to spell.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

I do like the look of this wood....I'd love to hear one....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

and what does "Zibrawood" sound like.  love the look
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Quote from: jeremy3220 on July 24, 2009, 11:08:42 AM

So I'm from Arkansas.  No one ever taught me to spell.   :bgrin:  Doesn't matter how you want to spell it though, it sure is purdy.

It is really pretty - I would be a little careful with it, as my experience has been that this material fractures and splits into sharp shards, and when cut thin is not terribly strong. I had a couple bowls blow up on the lathe when a tool caught. If taken care of, with close attention to humidity and caution about impacts, it should be fine, but I wouldn't take it camping.   I have no idea how it sounds, though -

It is going to be a very unique and interesting instrument - and once these get into the hands of collectors, you probably won't see one again -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Hey Age of Empires,
Where are you from in Arkansas?  I grew up in Jonesboro, and was recently back there for a wedding of a friend.  I spent some time driving around the countryside-the wedding was in Wynne, and I am always amazed at how flat eastern Ark is.  I live in Lynchburg, Va now.  Nice to see someone with Arkansas ties.
Clifford Phillips
Clifford

Larrivee L-09 Custom Moonspruce
Eastman E20SS
JWalker "Wise River"
McPherson Sable
Fender Telecaster American ProII
Furch G23SR Cutaway Sitka / Rosewood
PRS Santana Abraxas

Quote from: Southern Cross on July 24, 2009, 01:57:06 PM
Hey Age of Empires,
Where are you from in Arkansas?  I grew up in Jonesboro, and was recently back there for a wedding of a friend.  I spent some time driving around the countryside-the wedding was in Wynne, and I am always amazed at how flat eastern Ark is.  I live in Lynchburg, Va now.  Nice to see someone with Arkansas ties.
Clifford Phillips

Well, I spent my "formative" years in south central AR.  Moved away in '78 and was back for a short while until about '85 or so.  I've been a Texan (much to my dismay - which you'll understand if you grew up in AR during the years of the Southwest Conference) for the last 20+ years.  Guess I've kind of accepted it now since my wife, daughter and dog are all Texans.  I don't think they'll ever agree to leaving.

Quote from: tadol on July 24, 2009, 01:56:26 PM
It is really pretty - I would be a little careful with it, as my experience has been that this material fractures and splits into sharp shards, and when cut thin is not terribly strong. I had a couple bowls blow up on the lathe when a tool caught. If taken care of, with close attention to humidity and caution about impacts, it should be fine, but I wouldn't take it camping.   I have no idea how it sounds, though -

It is going to be a very unique and interesting instrument - and once these get into the hands of collectors, you probably won't see one again -

Tad
Tad.  You may have gotton ahold of some bad wood with lots of internal stress in it. This can happen to any wood if it is not dried and stored properly. We know that Larrivee has this process well under control. I have worked with it as have many other builders. It has a feel of Indian Rosewood when working with it. It is known to be a stable and reliable wood. It tends to be on the  hard side of normal for workability and requires the proper tools and that they be sharp, much like many exotic woods. It is much more stable than woods like  Brazilian.  I have no concerns that it will be any more prone to issues that any other wood Larrivee has used on there guitars. You are correct that proper care is in order and this is true for any all solid wood guitar.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier

www.TrinityGuitars.com

That's some wild stripy wood to be sure.  Too bad they didn't use some for the headstock.

What is the binding material?

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

I have what was previously the only Zebrawood Larrivee sold to the public. It was made in 1991, and has no structural problems 18  years later.

I sounds much like a good Indian Rosewood.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I'm very sure that they wouldn't sell these if there were any concerns about the material, and I have to admit that the zebrawood I was turning was actually a pretty odd piece of birds-eye zebrawood. But I've also turned brazilian, and if I had to choose a chonk of either, I'd rather turn the brazilian.

I still wouldn't take a zebrawood Larrivee on a camping trip, though -  :tongue:

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Jean knows his wood.  I think if he chose it as a platform for building its good.

I want one!  Add it to the list... :drool:
Ben

Larrivee D03R

Quote from: Stephen Basil on July 24, 2009, 02:47:51 PM
That's some wild stripy wood to be sure.  Too bad they didn't use some for the headstock.

What is the binding material?

Bindings are rosewood.
Jim Holler, Luthier

www.TrinityGuitars.com

What do they sound like?
How is the low end?
Larrivee Forum-III all hog