history / purpose of V-neck

Started by lw216316, July 23, 2009, 11:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dave42 on July 29, 2009, 11:45:06 PM
The V was for strength, and rounded off to a 'D' in the late '30s. It is just a vintage thing that folks want in a vintage guitar today.. that's why the "V" is around today. It's a marketing thing.  And the 000-28VS that Larry mentioned is very vintage in style, with a wider nut. I don't like it, but mileage will differ among players :)

The ebony ' truss rod' came  around 1920. The steel T rod came in 1934. The adjustable truss rod in 1985 allowed a low-profile neck that people wanted. (When the vintage  stuff started coming back, so  did the 'V'.)

I'm sure the reason many vintage styled guitars have the V neck is for marketing purposes but it should be noted that a large percentage of people prefer V necks simply for playability reasons. I sold a Martin that had a low profile neck because it was uncomfortable and I hated the low profile neck Taylor used a few years ago.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on July 30, 2009, 09:03:10 AM
I'm sure the reason many vintage styled guitars have the V neck is for marketing purposes but it should be noted that a large percentage of people prefer V necks simply for playability reasons.

:+1:
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

QuoteI'm sure the reason many vintage styled guitars have the V neck is for marketing purposes but it should be noted that a large percentage of people prefer V necks

Yes, certainly so, else they would not be able to sell the vintage replicas they make with the V neck.
If a significant number of customers did not like the v profile then the guitars would not sell and would not be made or would be changed to a different profile.

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Certainly different folks like different features, including neck profile. I have 2 low profile Martins and a Martin HD-28LSV with a V 1 3/4" nut neck. I like'em all. That 000-28VS I mentioned is a handful for me with the wider nut!  :smile:

Perry Bechtel is the banjo player responsible for the OM. Here 2 links..
With a guitar.
With a banjo.
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)