Started by dmcginnis, July 22, 2009, 10:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, #71 of the Forum III guitars arrived yesterday and I am formally a Larrivee owner now :smile:!  I only got to play about an hour...first impressions are that it is louder than I expected, and has a great full tonal range, particularly on the lower strings.  I played it like my dreads and it held up just fine, and was much easier to cross pick and do individual notes that I like to do in backing Celtic music.  It still has to break in a lot...and that will be the fun part.  I will post pictures when I get a chance to take them...thank you to all who have responded to my various questions for many months.

Cheers,
Dave
:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut
2001 McIlroy A30 #75, Spruce/Rosewood
Martin OM-15M, all mahogany
Paddy Burgin Bouzouki, Redwood over Claro Walnut
Keith Newell mandolin, Spruce over Claro Walnut
1916 Gibson A mandolin
1927 Langestyle tenor banjo

Congratulations!  Looking forward to seeing those pictures and getting more of your impressions after having had the time to play the guitar and get to know it better. 
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Is #71 mahogany or rosewood?
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Italian spruce over mahogany...beautiful woods that I will try to capture in photos later....
1916 Gibson A mandolin

welcome to the club

and be prepared to deal with your other guitars becoming quite jealous  :winkin:

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Now you know what all the fuss is about!

Congrats and happy picking

Not a problem. They'll spend so much time in their cases, he won't notice their jealousy -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Glad to see some good first impressions. I got in a wee bit of trouble around here for posting my delight with first impressions of my "Twin" to your guitar.

I did notice that the sound seemed to change from when first taken from the case...and then about 4 hours later...is that normal?  Also, I suspect this has been answered before - what strings came on the Forum III?  I have some Newtones that I might put on it soon...any thoughts on those strings?

Thanks,
Dave
1916 Gibson A mandolin

The strings are EXP's and I would try different ones out. A lot of us have switched to EJ-16's. But there is a lot to explore about these little gits still.
    The sound change may be related to a humidity change. It sure effects a lot of my guitars.

I had my FIII set up with medium gauge strings and so it shipped with Martin 80/20 mediums. I've got some John Pearse mediums to put on it next...not sure if I'll try phosphor bronze or stick with the 80/20...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Congrats Dave  :+1:
cheers
fongie

Bravo Dave, i use Martin's SP 80/20 on mine.

Pierre

:guitar
FIII LS 03 MH #74      Charlotte
LS 09 FM                    Ari
Moisan OM                  Unique

Congratulations Dave, a fine Larrivee for your first too. Enjoy !  :thumbsup

Quote from: dependan on July 22, 2009, 12:33:41 PM
  I got in a wee bit of trouble around here for posting my delight with first impressions of my "Twin" to your guitar.

Danny my friend, it just simply wouldn't be you if you didnt get yourself into "trouble" every now and then.... :beer

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: dmcginnis on July 22, 2009, 01:02:04 PM
I did notice that the sound seemed to change from when first taken from the case...and then about 4 hours later...is that normal?  Also, I suspect this has been answered before - what strings came on the Forum III?  I have some Newtones that I might put on it soon...any thoughts on those strings?

Thanks,
Dave

I use Newtones on both my Larrivees.  I tried a few different brands, but stopped at Newtones because they were awesome.  Masterclass PB 12-54s.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: dependan on July 22, 2009, 01:07:04 PM
The strings are EXP's and I would try different ones out. A lot of us have switched to EJ-16's. But there is a lot to explore about these little gits still.
The sound change may be related to a humidity change. It sure effects a lot of my guitars.
Two days ago the humidity here in my house in Seattle read about 55%.  The F-III sounded better than it ever has.  The bass string was more resonant than usual.  Tonight the humidity has returned to more normal 75% and the guitar lost a little snap.  But it is a much better instrument than when I first got it.  Play the mucus out of it.
Play it daily for best results.

OK - the new Forum III has been here since tuesday and I changed out the string to Newtone 80/20 Bronze Master Class (12-54).  WOW, what a major difference.  I was comparing it to my HD-28 (wiht Elixrs) and if I had my pick guard installed, the new little beauty would be going with me to our gig tonight (a Celtic Concert for Kids at a baseball stadium...we will do about an hour).  But, I want to protect the new baby. :bgrin:

The sound coming from the Forum III was absoulutely amazing...and really made the HD-28 sound mediocre.  Clarity in individual notes, nice feel when cross picking, and the chords just rang and rang.  I find that I can play this guitar so much lighter than my dreads -you dont have to push the guitar for sound.  It makes it "lighter" to play, and more articulate.  It is definitely a winner.  I hope to post some pictures soon.
1916 Gibson A mandolin

Quote from: dmcginnis on July 25, 2009, 05:21:53 PM
OK - the new Forum III has been here since tuesday and I changed out the string to Newtone 80/20 Bronze Master Class (12-54).  WOW, what a major difference.  I was comparing it to my HD-28 (wiht Elixrs) and if I had my pick guard installed, the new little beauty would be going with me to our gig tonight (a Celtic Concert for Kids at a baseball stadium...we will do about an hour).  But, I want to protect the new baby. :bgrin:

The sound coming from the Forum III was absoulutely amazing...and really made the HD-28 sound mediocre.  Clarity in individual notes, nice feel when cross picking, and the chords just rang and rang.  I find that I can play this guitar so much lighter than my dreads -you dont have to push the guitar for sound.  It makes it "lighter" to play, and more articulate.  It is definitely a winner.  I hope to post some pictures soon.
:+1:
                       I'd sure like to hear a clip of your playing, it sounds very intriguing.