I just did my first Solo gig, and......SECOND VIDEO ADDED !!!!

Started by obe-wan, July 17, 2009, 11:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

....I SUCKED !  

The two guys I sit in with occasionally, usually playing a mixture of guitar, bass and harmonica landed a gig at a local tavern, but didnt have enough material to fill out the whole night. So the singer from the band said "why dont you open for us, doing some of your acoustic blues stuff"? Ive done plenty of home recording, sang in front of friends at BBQs etc, but never live at a venue. I though what the hay, its now or never.

My first 2 songs where a little shaky vocal wise, my third song ended up being a just a bad choice and the last few where blues standards that Id been doing for years. I know that we tend to be our own worst critics, but watching it again this morning on my camera there were quite a few wince worthy moments. I didnt really make any mistakes, but you could hear in my voice that I was nervous. And Ive come to the conclusion that I dont really have the outgoing persona to be an frontman/entertainer.

I got lots of praise for my guitar and harmonica playing when I went on with the band later, but when I played solo I got what I think was "polite" applause. Im not overly worried about it all though, Im still gigging, having fun, but I think I'll just stick to where my talents lay, that is playing guitar and harmonica. At least I gave it a crack !  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.

Me killing a few great songs....
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

GO THE SCOTT! Fantastic bro', fantastic. Hows it feel mate? I remember when I made my first backup, boy, I was as nervous as hell, good on ya', hope to hear more  :+1:
cheers
fongie

Way to go Scott, my first time plugged in on a mic was great fun and pressure. I still remember thinking "who's voice is that? It doesn't sound good, hey wait that's me, oops, I must be nervous" my friends are telling me I keep improving every time.  :nana_guitar
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"

Quote from: Big E on July 18, 2009, 12:42:52 AM
my friends are telling me I keep improving every time.  :nana_guitar

Thats great mate, dont know if I'll want to go through too many "roughies" to start sounding good though. I may never sound good !

Quote from: fongie on July 18, 2009, 12:08:58 AM
Hows it feel mate?
cheers
fongie
Gday Fongster, as the first line suggests, it didnt feel great. I was happy I'd finally got up there by myself, but I dont know that I'll be doing it again anytime soon.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Good on you, Scott. First one is always the toughest and you'll never have to do the first one again. Onwards and upwards, mate. Lee :thumb :thumb

Scott, I am well improssed that you did this.  Please don't give up now you have done the hardest bit. I don't think I could ever play solo in public, I have a hard enough time plucking up the courage to share tracks among friends on this forum. HUGE respect is due for doing it, and it will only get better and easier the more you do it!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Thanks Lee and Ben.

You're right, the worst one is out of the way, and I suppose I cant expect it to be great first time in. I might give it some time and re-evaluate the possibility of future gigs. Might go to a couple of open mic nights and get some more stage time under my belt.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Playing solo is like sex the first time its ackward but the more you do it the better you get.Just ask your wife!!!!!
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I will add my congrats and observations as well, Scott.

Seems to me that playing in public requires varying measures of talent, preparation, confidence, or as in my case willingness to foolishly enjoy my music with others watching. The balance of these factors is subject to change.

In my twenties I had a lot more preparation and confidence ... like most skills the more you do it the better you get. Now in my sixties I'm leaning more on that foolish enjoyment of music. Where ARE those days of frequent practice, composing, and playing?

My advice is don't stop, do it again soon, and most of all enjoy your musical gift no matter how an audience reacts!

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Quotebut you could hear in my voice that I was nervous

I have good news for you.....what you heard as nerves (because you know yourself so well)
was probably heard by others as vibrato....  (a good thing !  It adds quality, interest, depth to a song and sounds professional)
So many amateurs sing without any vibrato and it can sound plain and dull.

I'm serious. It is really hard to tell the difference when you are in the audience.

I know. Its happened to me.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Well, I think you should just get a few songs down that "you enjoy" and are comfortable playing. Then have another go.
     I've played in public and made some big mistakes, play in one key and start singing in another. And other blunders. But so what, I still just play and enjoy what I play. Then it is a bit infectious and others can see that you are enjoying it so they can feel relaxed and join in.
     I am surprised at times to hear responses like "you can really play well". When if you have heard me you know I am not very good. But sometimes I do put my all into playing and singing and I think that is what leaves the impression of "talent" :blush:
                     ie. I just have fun ;-)

Quote from: dependan on July 18, 2009, 12:05:30 PM
   Well, I think you should just get a few songs down that "you enjoy" and are comfortable playing. Then have another go.
     I've played in public and made some big mistakes, play in one key and start singing in another. And other blunders. But so what, I still just play and enjoy what I play. Then it is a bit infectious and others can see that you are enjoying it so they can feel relaxed and join in.
     I am surprised at times to hear responses like "you can really play well". When if you have heard me you know I am not very good. But sometimes I do put my all into playing and singing and I think that is what leaves the impression of "talent" :blush:
                     ie. I just have fun ;-)

:+1:

Thanks for all the support and encouragement guys !

I guess I had (foolishly) high expectations of myself for the first time in. Ive contacted a few others that were there to watch me, and it seemed to be positive feedback. Ive also caught up with my friend from the band I usually sit in with and he said that being my close friend he would be brutally honest with me and tell me to give singing a miss rather than see me get up there and make a mess of it.

So Im booked in again for another opener at a different venue in 2 weeks.
The bottom line is I really want to do this, I feel Ive reached a point in my musical journey where I want to present the whole package. If sit and play guitar in front of someone and theres no singing I always feel as if somethings missing.

Time to practice, practice, practice......

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

OK folks, here it is in its full glory. Please excuse the poor quality, it was filmed on my wifes phone. Its one of the better songs I did vocally, theres also a little bit of another but the camera times out! Once you've clicked on it give a bit to load up, it takes about 10 seconds.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Nothing wrong with that Scott, your guitar playing was great and I couldn't hear any nerves in your voice at all.  It is easy to be over critical of yourself.  I thought that was outstanding!! :cheers
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Gee thanks Ben, I though what better place to get some opinions than the Forum. I appreciate the feedback mate. Hopefully in a few months time I can post some better quality video of myself once Ive got a bit more experience under my belt.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Hey Bro', darn man, you did real good, infact I replayed it again and again coz I truely enjoyed it  :+1: Definately got something you should be proud of, a few more gigs and your on your way. Fantastic!  :beer
cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on July 19, 2009, 07:25:53 PM
Hey Bro', darn man, you did real good, infact I replayed it again and again coz I truely enjoyed it  :+1: Definately got something you should be proud of, a few more gigs and your on your way. Fantastic!  :beer
cheers
fongie

Thanks mate, Im glad yo enjoyed it. Obviously theres room for improvement, but the more I watch it the more I think its not too bad for a newbie !

cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

I think you're being way too hard on yourself.   This looked/sounded pretty good to me (mobile phone quality notwithstanding!), and the guitar playing was top.

You're out there doing it - that's the main thing.  Keep it up!

:thumb
2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420

Quote from: obe-wan on July 19, 2009, 09:59:52 PM
Thanks mate, Im glad yo enjoyed it. Obviously theres room for improvement, but the more I watch it the more I think its not too bad for a newbie !

cheers, Scott.

Scott, I first played live many years ago and I'll always think there's room for improvement.  Thing is, there's only one way to improve and that's to do it again and again. 

You sounded great buddy.  Congrats.