Will I ever figure out how to strum?

Started by lyric_girl, July 17, 2009, 08:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok folks, I am SO frustrated! I have a great teacher, but I just can't figure out how to strum properly. My huge issues are with the up strum and making an even sound/motion and not catching the wrong friggen strings. Of course, I am using a pick, so any advice would need to be relevant to that.

Many thanks folks.

Lynda
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

When I started playing I use to mute the strings and strum along with songs.I also would play Am slide up to a Bm{leaving the High E open}trying to play different rythems.It just come's in time.Just keep pushing foward.If you can find someone to play with this will help.Play along with some of your favorite tune's.You can do this.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

It takes time and practice and worth through the frustration.  Just know that it's normal to have different aspects of your playing to personally struggle with and also know that you will overcome them.  Anytime I find one of these struggle points, I hit it head-on.  5 to 10 minutes of focused practice daily for a few days to a few weeks as needed.

If that doesn't work, try some whiskey while you practice.
:beer
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

It might just be an ergonomic issue.  Continue doing whatever your instructor indicates, but consider setting aside a portion of your practice time to experiment and discover what works best for you.  During that time relax, but try to become acutely aware of what does what and how it happens.  Regardless of what you've been told, for this time, grasp the pick differently varying the amount of tension it takes to hold it, play around with just how much of the picks point sticks out from your grip, the angle of your attack...  Watch and listen.  A few things that I've discovered, over a long period of time I'm almost embarrassed to say, is that I get more control if only about a quarter inch of the pick point shows; that the best sound and ease of mobility (which definately includes upstrokes) is to attack the strings with the pick on a perpendicular angle to the plane of the strings or individual string, whatever the case be.  I hope this helps.  Once you discover what works, get a feel for it, and try not to watch.  Tune in to the dynamic, physical connection of you holding and strumming your instrument with what you are taking in with your ears.  I think the best musicians are really good listeners.  As Unclrob says just keep at it.  Progress comes incrementally, but when it does come it is so rewarding.  Enjoy.

DAVE :wave
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

See, this is why I love this forum SO much. I am having a really crappy day at work and as I said, REALLY struggling with strumming and you guys are SO supportive.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Also remember to slow down. No one learned the basics of cross picking at 190 bpm. When learning a new technique you have to start slow then work up to performance tempo. Practicing with a metronome will help develop your timing.

It is so true that practice is the answer.  At least you have a teacher who will soon stop you if you are developing something really wrong, so I agree with the experiment to find a natural position approach.

The funny thing about learning guitar is that you will probably crack it pretty suddenly, and wonder what you were so worried about.  Don't give up.  I have given up on learning certain songs or techniques far to easily in the past, and only recently have reaped the rewards of disciplined perseverance.

Chin up Lynda, it is Saturday tomorrow.  Work can't suck so bad when you aren't there.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

You might want to experiment with different picks -
thin, med, heavy
various shapes

if you are using a large, heavy pick it might be making it harder for you to control brushing the strings the way you want.

Have you got the rhythm ok.... the combinations of ups and downs , on beat and off beat.... ?
If so, then its just mechanics....

the way you hold the pick,
angle of attack,
the kind of pick you use

Do you get the same results no matter where you picking hand is located in relation to the sound hole ?
Try strumming close to the sound hole, over it,  back closer to the bridge - do you get the same results - or does one position
work better for you than the others ?

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Quote from: jeremy3220 on July 17, 2009, 09:40:03 AM
Also remember to slow down. No one learned the basics of cross picking at 190 bpm. When learning a new technique you have to start slow then work up to performance tempo. Practicing with a metronome will help develop your timing.

I HATE metronomes!

Hadn't thought of changing picks...will look into that. Currently using Fender (classic style-whatever the heck you call that) Mediums.

Right now, it's more a case of getting hung up with the up stroke. Also, have been sending picks flying recently. Lost a pick in the guitar for the first time recently! That was a riot!

Maybe, I'll walk over to Steve's Music at lunch and check out some picks? Will use ANY excuse to get the hell out of here for a while!

Quote from: ncognito on July 17, 2009, 09:03:43 AM
It might just be an ergonomic issue.  Continue doing whatever your instructor indicates, but consider setting aside a portion of your practice time to experiment and discover what works best for you.  During that time relax, but try to become acutely aware of what does what and how it happens.  Regardless of what you've been told, for this time, grasp the pick differently varying the amount of tension it takes to hold it, play around with just how much of the picks point sticks out from your grip, the angle of your attack...  Watch and listen.  A few things that I've discovered, over a long period of time I'm almost embarrassed to say, is that I get more control if only about a quarter inch of the pick point shows; that the best sound and ease of mobility (which definately includes upstrokes) is to attack the strings with the pick on a perpendicular angle to the plane of the strings or individual string, whatever the case be.  I hope this helps.  Once you discover what works, get a feel for it, and try not to watch.  Tune in to the dynamic, physical connection of you holding and strumming your instrument with what you are taking in with your ears.  I think the best musicians are really good listeners.  As Unclrob says just keep at it.  Progress comes incrementally, but when it does come it is so rewarding.  Enjoy.

DAVE :wave

Excellent points
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

unclrob, great bit of advice
QuoteWhen I started playing I used to mute the strings and strum along with songs
:thumb
This is how I did it and still do this to a lot of songs I am learning or even just playing around with..
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"

Quote from: lyric_girl on July 17, 2009, 10:16:07 AM
Hadn't thought of changing picks...will look into that. Currently using Fender (classic style-whatever the heck you call that) Mediums.
Just be aware that thin picks produce thin sound. Also down the road as you start picking individual notes, they give less control.
When you go to store,get several shapes and thickness of picks. Try not to give in to the really thin ones. That would be alright for learning, but the problem is that a lot of people get used to a certain pick and then stick with it for life. The Orange Tortex is thinner than a medium but not as thin as a "thin". Most places have them. But then I'd suggest trying to get back to mediums.
They main thing is practice. Try to "feel" the rhythm rather than thinking. Then try to not let the brain get in the way. What Rob said is good too. Mute the strings where you're not concerned about the left hand and concentrate on the rhythm. Or make a chord you do well and just stay on it.

Quote from: lyric_girl on July 17, 2009, 10:16:07 AMLost a pick in the guitar for the first time recently! That was a riot!
Well perhaps we could start a whole thread on this! You have two methods to retrieve. There's the intellectual method where you carefully get pick under sound hole, calculate how much it will move when you flip guitar over, then quickly flip it and presto, the pick comes out 1st try. (yea right). or you have the turn the guitar upside down and shake it like helx til it pops out.
They both take about the same amount of time. I guess even the shake like helx method does benefit from trying to get pick, and keep it, between the braces on either side of sound hole. I use the the shake and wait method lately.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Concerning picks, I've really come to like Dunlop Ultrex picks (.73mm). Hang in there. They don't seem to slip as easily as some others.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Quote from: lyric_girl on July 17, 2009, 10:12:00 AM
I HATE metronomes!
I know what you mean. I used to hate drummers who used cymbals. Then I realized over time that I hated drummers who OVER-used or misused cymbals (riding the splash or constantly splashing the open hi-hat).
Metronomes are worth embracing. If you set the tempo correctly, they are a very valuable tool in developing your "internal clock" and getting your strum in synch.

dg

Quote from: flatlander on July 17, 2009, 11:09:23 AM
Well perhaps we could start a whole thread on this! You have two methods to retrieve. There's the intellectual method where you carefully get pick under sound hole, calculate how much it will move when you flip guitar over, then quickly flip it and presto, the pick comes out 1st try. (yea right). or you have the turn the guitar upside down and shake it like helx til it pops out.
They both take about the same amount of time. I guess even the shake like helx method does benefit from trying to get pick, and keep it, between the braces on either side of sound hole. I use the the shake and wait method lately.

If you've never played a guitar with a side sound port. then you don't know what you're missing.  Just tip the guitar and they fall right out every time!

jimmy

QuoteIf you've never played a guitar with a side sound port. then you don't know what you're missing.  Just tip the guitar and they fall right out every time! jimmy

My theory is that many great inventions were accidental discoveries.
One day an intoxicated guitar player dropped his pick in the hole at the end of his last song of the first set.

Near the end of the break he still could not shake, rattle and roll the thing out.
He was doing a solo gig in a remote area and there was not another pick for miles around.

He thought to himself, "If only there was a hole in the side of my guitar."....a light shown through the intoxicant...

Necessity being the Mother of invention, he went to the back of his pickup and got out the tools used for his day job
and added a hole in the side of his guitar.

The pick came right out just in time for the 2nd set.
He was overwhelmed at how good his guitar sounded and he was inspired to play as he had never played before.
The crowd was overwhelmed by the guitar work in his 2nd set and he was booked for a 2 week stay.

He used the extra income as seed money for his start up business building guitars with an extra hole in the side.
The rest is history.

Now you know.....the rest of the story  :bgrin:

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

pencil with blue-tack on the end.  Best way to get picks out.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Actually, it took me all of about 10 seconds to get the pick out. Likely, beginners luck! :roll

Quote from: lw216316 on July 17, 2009, 04:01:31 PM
My theory is that many great inventions were accidental discoveries.
One day an intoxicated guitar player dropped his pick in the hole at the end of his last song of the first set.

Near the end of the break he still could not shake, rattle and roll the thing out.
He was doing a solo gig in a remote area and there was not another pick for miles around.

He thought to himself, "If only there was a hole in the side of my guitar."....a light shown through the intoxicant...

Necessity being the Mother of invention, he went to the back of his pickup and got out the tools used for his day job
and added a hole in the side of his guitar.

Larry--

I think your theory might just have a hole in it.  :roll             Who knows?  Stranger things have happened.
          DAVE

The pick came right out just in time for the 2nd set.
He was overwhelmed at how good his guitar sounded and he was inspired to play as he had never played before.
The crowd was overwhelmed by the guitar work in his 2nd set and he was booked for a 2 week stay.

He used the extra income as seed money for his start up business building guitars with an extra hole in the side.
The rest is history.

Now you know.....the rest of the story  :bgrin:

- Larry

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works