Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most underated guitarist?  (Read 4061 times)
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:11:47 PM »

I stole this from the Taylor forum

My pick would be the late Terry Kath from the band Chicago
Not really an acoustic guitarist(but he did play one often in their recordings)
Dave
Yoyodyne

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »

Terry Kath is an excellent choice, amazing player.

But for his astounding technical ability and sublime musical sensibility, my nomination is Ry Cooder.

He is certainly highly regarded, but I still don't think he gets the appreciation that he deserves.

2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02
1982 el cheapo (Fairmont) LP copy
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »

Terry Kath is an excellent choice, amazing player.

But for his astounding technical ability and sublime musical sensibility, my nomination is Ry Cooder.

He is certainly highly regarded, but I still don't think he gets the appreciation that he deserves.
The average listener (non-guitar playing listener) doesn't know what he/she is hearing. They are incapable of appreciating a virtuoso. It requires a modicum of training to become skilled at listening to someone like Ry Cooder (could have named hundreds of others) just as it does to appreciate a jazz saxophone player. Thus, the American Idol crowd will flock to the likes of Kenny G and not to John Coltrane.
Consequently, all the best guitarists are under-rated.
As Frank Zappa so poignantly put it many years ago (speaking of under-rated guitarists) "Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the a$$."
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:45:54 PM »

Steve Winwood
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:02:36 PM »

Brad Paisley comes to mind as a guy who can really play but most people don't think of him as a singer, not a player.  I saw him a few years ago and was really impressed with his playing.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:07:36 PM »

Lowell George,David Crosby,John Hiatt,Ernie Isley,Ed something I can't think of his name but he was in the Funkadelics before they join with Parliment.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »

Lowell George,David Crosby,John Hiatt,Ernie Isley,Ed something I can't think of his name but he was in the Funkadelics before they join with Parliment.

You're thinking of Maggot Brain, Eddie Hazel, Rob. However, most underated guitarist? Why ... as a matter of fact,
I am!     

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:09:21 PM »

Willie Nelson
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »

Tommy Emanuel

If it sounds good, it is good.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 02:18:26 AM »

Eddie Hazel had some very nice phycodelic blue riffs back then and inspired me alot and your the first person I kinda know who even knew who he was.

I know that my list is a little weird but what did expect from me.I think that there underrated.I also love Frank Zappa,Toy Caldwell the two brothers from the Winter Brothers Band and David Lindley.

I also get a kick out of theme music from the Hanna/Barbarra cartoons.

All underrated players and music.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 11:38:11 AM »

Eddie Hazel had some very nice phycodelic blue riffs back then and inspired me alot and your the first person I kinda know who even knew who he was.

I know that my list is a little weird but what did expect from me.I think that there underrated.I also love Frank Zappa,Toy Caldwell the two brothers from the Winter Brothers Band and David Lindley.

I also get a kick out of theme music from the Hanna/Barbarra cartoons.

All underrated players and music.

I have a copy of Eddie's album "Game, Dames and Guitar Thang". It's awesome. Zappa? Stop the presses. We have the winner. No one plays better and is less celebrated for it.     
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 02:05:28 PM »

AH    SHUT UP AND PLAY YOUR GUITAR

Weasals ripe your flesh.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 03:29:56 PM »

Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Steve Grover.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »

Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Steve Grover.....
I must be missing something here... names like Zappa, Carlton, Ford, Tommy Emmanuel, David Lindley? How are they under-rated? 
They're all recognized as guitar geniuses and/or virtuosos. They're all brilliant players and anyone who has heard their names knows why.
I would think someone like George Harrison would qualify better as "under-rated" because he is so often not thought of in the ranks of "greatest guitarists". Everyone who worked with him said he was a brilliant player (Clapton especially sang his praises) and yet everything he did on record was for the most part very understated and perfectly adequate.
...and...
Isn't Steve Grover a jazz drummer?   

dg

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 07:07:01 PM »

I must be missing something here... names like Zappa, Carlton, Ford, Tommy Emmanuel, David Lindley? How are they under-rated? 
They're all recognized as guitar geniuses and/or virtuosos. They're all brilliant players and anyone who has heard their names knows why.
I would think someone like George Harrison would qualify better as "under-rated" because he is so often not thought of in the ranks of "greatest guitarists". Everyone who worked with him said he was a brilliant player (Clapton especially sang his praises) and yet everything he did on record was for the most part very understated and perfectly adequate.
...and...
Isn't Steve Grover a jazz drummer?   

dg

Paul McCartney...

I always thought he was a great fingerstyle player...

bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 07:14:07 PM »

Dave Van Ronk- Outstanding Country Blues Guitarist, was one of the first to arrange old ragtime piano pieces for guitar.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »

I have to give props to the guy I saw last - Dave Alvin.  He and his band The Guilty Women put on one great show last night.

Man, he can play a real nice acoustic, and then really blast away on his Strat.  Just a great guitar player, IMO.  bowdown
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 09:44:51 PM »

There are sooooo many guitarist who are not as known or popular as they should be. Most of the ones one this thread I don't think of so much as underrated as I think of them as unknown amoungst the populace. People who know who they are, know how good they are. I'm trying to think of players, perhaps who do mostly rythm, that may be well known, or part of a well known band, but people don't realize how much they contribute. They best rythm  players not only provide rythm but have a way of tieing everything together. I don't know who to say that would be
yet, but that's the lines I'll be thinging along.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13:01 PM »

Not Tommy Emmanuel as he is recognized by anyone who has heard him as a vituoso. Larry Carlton too, for anyone who knows him.
But many people think that Zappa was merely weird or only funny. Willie Nelson is thought to be a singer by most people and they don't recognize what a good payer he is.
Most people never heard of Robben Ford. For those that do, he is likely not under-rated by them.
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 10:18:22 PM »

I must be missing something here... names like ... Tommy Emmanuel, ? How are they under-rated? 

dg

Sorry, sorry...I thought the thread said overrated!

If it sounds good, it is good.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: