Pages: [1] 2 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minor QA problems: Should I care?  (Read 6041 times)
gitnoob

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:34:13 AM »

I just received a new L09 in the Larrivee factory-sealed box.   We're still getting acquainted, and I found a couple of cosmetic (I think) bugs.   Originally, I wasn't too concerned.   But it's an expensive guitar, and frankly, I haven't seen these issues in much less expensive guitars.    Pictures follow.   Tell me what you think.   Should I squawk about them or just view them as personality scars quirks?

(That last one is a minor scratch across both the fret board and binding.   It runs under the strings, so it was clearly caused before they put strings on the guitar.)

Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:10:37 AM »

Gitnoob, if this was my purchase, I definately would send back, at their cost. What happens when you decide to sell? I know I wouldn't purchase with that scratch. That's woeful.
cheers
fongie
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »

Your first course of action should be to contact your dealer and alert him to the issues. It is the responsibility of the dealer to insure you are happy with your purchase, and if there are any defects or other issues to work with the manufacturer to see them resolved.

Ron

ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »

Your first course of action should be to contact your dealer and alert him to the issues. It is the responsibility of the dealer to insure you are happy with your purchase, and if there are any defects or other issues to work with the manufacturer to see them resolved.

Ronmac is right.  Keep us informed.  I hope things work out for you.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »

+1 What Ron said. Good Luck.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »

+1 what ron sez.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:21:27 PM »

+1 what ron sez.

and I thought you were going to say 'douse it with superglue' 

lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »

It is sad they would send an expensive guitar like that out the door in that condition.
I would be very upset.

You could do like the guy who wrote a song about the mistreatment of his guitar by the airlines
and posted it on youtube...  bigrin

I understand he got some action on it.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Big E

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 03:02:21 PM »

I'd call the vendor to start. I want the scratches to be my own.

"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"
gitnoob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 03:35:03 PM »

Thanks, gang.  I'll give the dealer a call today.   Although, Larrivee should take the hit rather than the dealer.

Personally, I found the splintered brace more egregious than the scratch simply because that's something they should have caught and fixed early in the build.

The scratch probably happened at the end of the build, and I'm not sure what they could have done about it.   Sand and refinish?   Label it as factory second?   (BTW, I don't think I've ever seen a factory second Larrivee on the market.)

Anyway, you guys have got me fired up.    mad

And I didn't even tell you the worst part.    This is the last one they had.    And it was sold as a "collectible" limited run (40 made).    So the hit to the perceived value is pretty significant.   (And you'd think the builder would take a little extra care for a limited run git.)

Ponte

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 04:04:06 PM »

If it is that special a guitar, then I would keep it
Those are minor cosmetic flaws, and although I agree that it  shouldn´t have gone through the quality control checks in both the factory or the shop......Do you really care?
Enjoy an otherwise gorgeous guitar

"Guitars can seriously damage your health"

1977 American Fender Strat
2005 Larrivée L-05
2004 Amalio Burguet 3F flamenco spanish guitar
Many various other guitars gone,  ...hopefully to a good home.

http://guit-ar.com. Guitar drawings and artwork by Juan Ponte
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »

If it is that special a guitar, then I would keep it
Those are minor cosmetic flaws, and although I agree that it  shouldn't have gone through the quality control checks in both the factory or the shop......Do you really care?
Enjoy an otherwise gorgeous guitar

You've received some pretty good advise on how to deal with this issue and I wouldn't argue against anyone's comments.  And I agree that the split end of that brace is not up to snuff.  On the other hand, I don't know that this is serious enough to ever cause you grief while you own the guitar, but that's just a guess on my part.  As for the scratch, you might try to use some 0000 steel wool on the fret board and cover it with a light application of tongue oil.  This may well cause the scratch to go away.  I do this to my ebony fret boards about once every year or so.

If this is indeed a collectors guitar, or at least a limited run, you just might want to keep it.  Either way, good luck in resolving this.  It will be interesting to see what happens...

jimmy

DJ in FL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 04:18:11 PM »

We all worry about getting that FIRST scratch/dent in any new guitar crying ...yours came with that option as part of the buy.  

All seriousness aside, I would get back with the dealer.  They should have found it if it came from factory like that.  They should have returned it to Larrivee before it got to customer.  If they did see it, they should have pointed it out to you.  Maybe somebody already played it/dropped it...who knows?  If they wanted to sell it to you and represent it as damaged, then that should have been pointed out to you, BEFORE you found it.

Larrivee quality control should not have let that guitar out the door.

For amount you are spending, you should expect and get a NEW, no damage guitar.

Good luck...keep us posted on what they say.

Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »

The guitar is obviously not 'mint' and as such the dealer should make it right. If it came from the factory that way they can send it back for exchange. If it is shop-worn then you should have gotten a very deep discount. Like Ron sez: go to the dealer first. Larrivee probably wants to hang on to their dealers as much as they can.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
tikabear

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »

I bought a new L09 once that had finish cracks around the fingerboard extension.  I ended up selling it and took a good hit.  I did talk to the dealer about it but he blew it off as no big deal.  I should have sent it back and would do so now if I ever bought a new guitar again with similar issues.  If it's new, it shouldn't have any cosmetic or structural issues at all. 

More than I deserve.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »

I would assume that the box was dealer sealed, and not factory sealed.  Or, are you saying that the dealer didn't even bother to look at the guitar?
gitnoob

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »

I would assume that the box was dealer sealed, and not factory sealed.  Or, are you saying that the dealer didn't even bother to look at the guitar?

It was an online purchase from one of the big chains.   AFAIK, they don't open the boxes.  My L09 came as it was shipped from Larrivee to the big chain's warehouse.

Big E

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 10:50:43 PM »

Hi Gitnoob will you keep us informed as to how it all works out?

"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"
gitnoob

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 11:20:50 PM »

Hi Gitnoob will you keep us informed as to how it all works out?

Will do.  I'm curious myself.  :)

I've emailed the pictures to their customer service manager, and I'm awaiting their response.

I think I've got another issue for them to consider as well.   Thoughts on the poor binding job in this picture?

jbrummer

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 11:27:55 PM »

Man, these are way more than minor problems, especially when taken together.  You definitely deserve a new guitar, one that's truly in mint condition.  If not that, than a HUGE discount.  I wish you all the best in getting this resolved.  I know what a heart-breaker it is to look forward to something so special and then have these kinds of headaches to resolve.  Sure hope the dealer and/or the folks directly at Larrivee step up and do what's right.

". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Jump to: