Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: string tension program needed!  (Read 365 times)
jwb

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:49:27 PM »

Hello everyone!  I know this has been beaten like a dead horse over the last few years, but I thought I would ask and see what many of you are currently using to calculate string tensions on your guitars.

I have a SCGC Baritone that is my main guitar right now, and I have some creative ideas on how to string it but I want to know "for sure" how much tension I am putting on the bridge so I don't have any expensive and heartbreaking surprises. 

The scale is 27" and I often use a wound second string and a 6th string over .59".  So, I need a calculator or program that allows for the input of the scale length (e.g. not standard 25.5"), where I can also specify if a string is wound or not, and does not have restrictions on the size of strings on the bass side. 

My goal is not to tune lower, but to tune higher to tunings like CADGAD with more even tension and depth of tone than you can get on a standard scale.  I also want to do some tunings based around D and C#.  I am finding over time that anything below C just gets too muddy and intonation becomes a problem, so dropped tunings beginning from D instead of C will likely sound and work better for me.   This means lighter strings than what I am using....the question is,"How light?"  Tension has to be calculated for each string for me to feel confident before actually trying it.  I love this guitar too much to tinker around with it.  I already sense there is a significant amount of tension on the bridge as it is...Thanks in advance. The knowledge of folks on this forum always humbles and amazes me!

Justin

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:12:12 PM »

Perhaps this will help

http://www.kennaquhair.com/ustc.htm

Ron

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 07:27:10 PM »

Awesome link! Thanks!!!