Jumbo Jumbo Jumbo

Started by mrkpower, July 06, 2009, 02:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In general, dreadnoughts are good for picking, strumming, soloing. OM's are good for fingerstyle or light strumming. I have never owned any jumbo guitars. I was wondering people use jumbos MAINLY for which purpose (strumming, pickstyle,  fingerstyle, or a little bit for everything)? In other word, the jumbo is best for which playing style generally??

Some handmade guitar makers like to make small jumbos (SJ) to customers, how does the SJ affect the sounds and playability differently from the regular jumbo size?

How does SJ compare to Grand Concert in tonality and playing styles? (I am always confinused in these two models )

Thanks!!

Jumbos are primarily for strumming, and very popular with country singers/players. They are also versatile - Stefan Grossman uses his Martin Jumbo for playing finger-style as well. I love mine for doing Praise and Worship. It is awesome for strumming, heavy strumming, and subtle finger style bits too. I must add that I bought mine used, and it is well played in - it is as responsive as it possibly could be. I love it.
The SJ concept was adopted more towards finger-style players, and I believe pioneered after the Gibson J-185 for people like James Taylor and Phil Keaggy, and made famous by Jim Olson for them. They provide better response to a quick attack, but lots of presence too. Grand auditorium bodies invented by Taylor is another typical examples. Their GS-model I believe leans somewhat between the SJ and the Jumbo categories. I also believe most jumbos/SJ's have their origins from the Gibson roots namely the J-/35/J-50 (slope shoulder), J-200, and the J-185. I believe Larrivee's L-body fits the SJ category.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on July 06, 2009, 02:35:43 AM
I also believe most jumbos/SJ's have their origins from the Gibson roots namely the J-/35/J-50 (slope shoulder), J-200, and the J-185. I believe Larrivee's L-body fits the SJ category.

If Larrivee's L-body fits the SJ category, so it means that the Small Jumbo is very versatile too??

It's funny, most body styles are probably a lot more "versatile" than given credit.  Doc Watson (and many others) fingerpicks on a dread, others would assume that style is only for flatpick/strumming.  Like Zohn said, Stefan Grossman uses a jumbo for lots of things others might not.  My OM and Jumbo are very different, but I don't really differentiate what I play on them (my bad?)

Body size has a lot of impact on tone and playing feel, but it's like what car is "best", so you might want to try out different sizes without taking anything as a given.  If you can't find a Larry jumbo, probably easy to find gibson or guilds around

I play both jumbo's and OM's.I play all style's on them both.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: mrkpower on July 06, 2009, 02:53:52 AM
If Larrivee's L-body fits the SJ category, so it means that the Small Jumbo is very versatile too??
:+1: Absolutely... - in fact, I compare my LV very much to a terrific J-185 Koa I played recently - very balanced. Other nice models to check out are Collings' SJ's, and Martin's M-models which are "shallow" jumbo's with a standard Jumbo (OOOO-size) footprint, but less depth. These are very expensive compared to the Lav's though.
There is also a very distinct and defined SJ-club lately with top small builders like Olson, Charis, Ryan, Applegate, and many others competing. This is the $8k - $15k class though, depending on choice of materials.
I saw/heard a Canadian Christian artist Brian Doerksen live 4 weeks ago here at home. He played an SJ Olson with Cedar/Indian, and I have never heard tone, balance and mojo like that in a guitar before. Also its ability to stay in tune throughout the (2-hour) show.
And as you might have guessed by now, I'm an avid Jumbo and SJ fan.  :thumbsup
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I play all styles on all my guitars.
My Gibson J-50 is very versatile as is my Larrivee O-50. With the small box I can strum but have to be aware not to overdrive the top, it is almost impossible to overdrive the jumbo. I enjoy finger picking my J-50 and the SD-60. I have found I can pick light and get a great volume, and the thumpig bass is great for the "John Hurt" style.

Through my years of guitar playing I have learned from others that if you play well it sounds good on any guitar. I think all this talk about a particular size for a particular style is just a reason for us to collect many guitars. Bottom line play whatever you like on whatever you like, but I am not getting rid of any of my guitars.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Zohn,and all of you folks.....How does a guitar like the Martin M-38 figure into the picture?I owned two of these awhile ago.I liked it very much,and remember it being a bit more restrained than my D-35,but nicely balanced.Very comfy though!

I believe it is shallower than a true Jumbo,and assume it is less dynamic,but for folks owning an OM,or SJ,how would an "M" fill in the gap?

Just curious :smile:

Btw,sorry...two things I forgot to mention...the two M-38's I owned did not overlap in time of ownership and the D-35 was a past guitar as well.

ALSO............

The last post of mine was #300!!!!!!!!!.......Can you believe it?......Sheesh,I've learned alot from you folks.Thanks :thumbsup

Quote from: magictwanger on July 06, 2009, 10:39:52 PM
Zohn,and all of you folks.....How does a guitar like the Martin M-38 figure into the picture?I owned two of these awhile ago.I liked it very much,and remember it being a bit more restrained than my D-35,but nicely balanced.Very comfy though!

I believe it is shallower than a true Jumbo,and assume it is less dynamic,but for folks owning an OM,or SJ,how would an "M" fill in the gap?

Just curious :smile:
Mark
The M-'s are great guitars. I played a 0000-28 custom. It had all the favourite -28 style appointments, a 1 3/4" nut, and an awesome Adi-top. Yes, I found the depth very comfy on my belly. :blush: The only thing I didn't like was the price!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Hbuf6FEoY

Even if I can't play like him, that doesn't mean I can't sit in front of the mirror with a jumbo maple and pretend does it?

How can no one mention Leo Kotke? A 12 string, jumbo master, ever since I was in high school in the early '70's. Have to listen to "My Feet Are Smiling". One of his early ones & best. Another is Dan Hicks. He bought my Guild J-55 back in the early '90's & plays only those. More will come to me! :thumb
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: BluesMan1 on July 07, 2009, 07:07:52 PM
   How can no one mention Leo Kotke? A 12 string, jumbo master, ever since I was in high school in the early '70's. Have to listen to "My Feet Are Smiling". One of his early ones & best. Another is Dan Hicks. He bought my Guild J-55 back in the early '90's & plays only those. More will come to me! :thumb
:+1: and then of course there is Pete Townsend and his famous J-200's - always had a fresh one per show :winkin:

Quote from: Zohn on July 07, 2009, 11:35:55 PM
:+1: and then of course there is Pete Townsend and his famous J-200's - always had a fresh one per show :winkin:

Let's not forgot Rev. Gary Davis. He seemed to think the J-200 was pretty good for finger picking. He had a Guild F-50R Jumbo before moving to the Gibson. In fact it was the Rev. that got Dave Van Ronk to trade in his J45 for a Guild F-50R. Dave didn't seem to have a problem finger picking a Jumbo either.

Since we are talking about people who play Jumbos how about Paul Simon and John Denver
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Dig the Rev & Paul Simon, John Denver just to "poppy" for me. Had a few catchy tunes, but never really liked him much. Didn't know he played a jumbo, though. The Rev I know alot about, my Dad playing piano for him on the studio in the late '50's & early '60's. Just can't get his style down And let's all take a moment to remember John Cephas, the king of Piedmont blues. Inspired many, including the Rev, & having passed away just recently.
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true