What Are The Last Five (or 6) Concerts You Attended?

Started by Queequeg, July 02, 2009, 01:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

America
The Eagles
James Taylor
Stephen Stills
Three Girls and Their Buddy (Emmy Lou Harris, Shawn Colvin, Patty Griffin along with Buddy Miller)
Lyle Lovett
Jackson Browne (just last night!)

I guess I've kinda' dated myself here...

jb

Quote from: jimmy buffett on July 08, 2009, 07:32:11 AM
America
The Eagles
James Taylor
Stephen Stills
Three Girls and Their Buddy (Emmy Lou Harris, Shawn Colvin, Patty Griffin along with Buddy Miller)
Lyle Lovett
Jackson Browne (just last night!)

I guess I've kinda' dated myself here...

jb

You are firmly entrenched in the folk/rock tradition, JB.  :thumb
Care to review the Jackson Browne show for us?

Pierre Bensusan
Paul Rishell
Dan Stevens
John Hiatt
Leo Kottke
Ed Gerhard

and I'm going to see Roy Bookbinder in a few weeks up in Portland Maine.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

James Taylor, last yr
Chicago ,America ,double bill
America
Robben Ford
Larry Carlton

Coco Montoya
Walter Trout
Jimmy Thackery
The Nighthawks
John Jorgenson Quintet (going to see him again next Friday night at NAMM in Nashville)

Quote from: Queequeg on July 08, 2009, 07:45:36 AM

Yes, but today is a little rushed so I'll try to get to it tomorrow.  I did enjoy the show and he was in fine form...

jb

Quote from: Queequeg on July 06, 2009, 07:46:40 AM

Makarovii-
I saw Coco Montoya many years ago and the guy blew me away. He never comes around here any more. How was the show?

Sorry for the late reply.  :blush:

A few years ago I took the wife to see Coco at a small club in Pomona, Ca that has since closed. The man can play! He brought tears to my eyes with his cover of "Good Days, Bad Days." He was cool and kind as he signed autographs during the intermission. When he got back on stage and played a few more tunes the wife got tired and wanted to leave, it was about 1:00am by that point. He had started his set around 11:30 or 12:00. I wouldn't hesitate to catch his show again.
Gregg
'05 Fender Highway 1 Strat
'07 Fender Lite Ash Tele
'70s Crown Gold Top LP copy
'04 Larrivee D-03 Mahogany
'05 Martin D-15 Rosewood
Washburn 5257 1/2

Quote from: Queequeg on July 06, 2009, 07:46:40 AM
Tuffy-
that Derek Trucks is really something, isn't he?
There's a youtube with him soloing for the Allman Bros with Warren Haynes.
He has no difficulty holding his own on slide.
More than simply a namesake. He is the Real Deal.

pennerblue-
Jorma is a great show. I am tempted to attend one of his workshops at the Fur Peace Ranch.

Makarovii-
I saw Coco Montoya many years ago and the guy blew me away. He never comes around here any more. How was the show?

rockhound-
I just started listening to Joe Bonamassa this year and now I am a fan. How was his concert? Recommended?

ncognito-
Leo Kottke/ Chris Smither
! Man, what a double-header that was! Two of my favorites. I saw Taj Mahal about 10 years ago and I wouldn't miss him if he came around again. My only qualm was he played a very short set. I wanted more! more! more!

ducktrapper-
Gordon Lightfoot used to tour more. He doesn't get around here any more. Love to see him again.

Blasterfan55-
I missed Brian Wilson when he was here last year and still lament it. How was he? (His show got good reviews here.)

obe-wan-
Never seen ZZ Top but that has to be a rocking-good show!

He was great Queequeg - it was his "Lucky Old Sun" tour.  I've seen him 7-8 times since he resumed touring in '99.  Who would ever think that.

In the last 3-4 years especially, he has grown much more confident on stage, and his vocals have greatly improved.  He was a little rusty there for a while.  He's well worth seeing if he comes around again. I guess he's doing some US gigd in the fall.

Quote from: Queequeg on July 08, 2009, 07:45:36 AM

Yes, I guess my true colours are showing, and it also shows you that I prefer to see my artists in smaller venues.  Some other performers I've seen over the past couple of years include Stephen Bennett, Tommy, Doyle Dykes, Chris Hillman (ex of the Byrds) and Jimmy Buffett (go figure).

As for the Jackson Browne review, I'll do a post on the "Artists" page so that I don't end up hi jacking this thread...

Heart (Aug 08)
Dar Williams (Feb 09)
Alejandro Escovedo (April 09)
Nanci Griffith (June 09)
Brandi Carlile (June 09)
(over the next couple of months, The Indigo Girls, Pretenders, and Aimee Mann)
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

Dave Alvin & The Guilty Women last night.

Bob Dylan, John Mellencamp, & Willie Nelson tomorrow night in Vermont!    :nana_guitar :nana_guitar

Coldplay
Nine Inch Nails
Reverend Horton Heat
Social Distortion
David Lindley/Bob Brozman
Jake Shimabukuro
Nine Inch Nails

The Dude abides.

Neko Case this Saturday at the Ryman in Nashville.

Tonight is Adrian Belew (King Crimson)
Next week is David Lindley

Quote from: jeremy3220 on July 20, 2009, 10:44:40 AM
Neko Case this Saturday at the Ryman in Nashville.

WOAH!  Now that's gotta be a good one...
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

In the next two weeks I'll see:

JD Crowe and the New South
Robbie Fulks
Los Lobos
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Would love to see Neko at some point.

I just saw a guitar whiz named Rhett Butler the other night with Billy McLaughlin. Almost too many notes to be fully appreciated.

Quote from: the creature on July 20, 2009, 09:17:43 PM
Would love to see Neko at some point.

I think you maybe the one who brought her to my attention. Did you get her new album? It's different but also some of her best stuff.

This will be the first time I've seen her live and there's no better place than the Ryman.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on July 20, 2009, 09:22:12 PM
I think you maybe the one who brought her to my attention. Did you get her new album? It's different but also some of her best stuff.

This will be the first time I've seen her live and there's no better place than the Ryman.
No, I don't have her new one yet. It's on my list though. I've heard some of it and I caught her on some late-night show and the new song sounded good. She had a nice, big band that sounded great. I thought I turned you on to The Be Good Tanyas, not Neko? You got me started on Norman Blake, which I'm still enjoying listening to. I just scored Chattanooga Sugar Babe the other day.

I just did a quick search and you did recommend Neko to me in this thread http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=18726.0

I'm still listening to TBGT too. Norman Blake would probably be the artist I would most like to see live.