Larrivee Style Coverage

Started by Sheepydog, July 01, 2009, 06:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I play a variety of different acoustic styles. These include playing a lot of Tommy Emmanuel music (a thumbpicker) and also flatpicking songs like Radiohead, and I do like to strum rather hard occasionally. I had a Martin D-16 bought for me, and it is perfect for my strumming. However, it is not what I would like for fingerpicking. The Larrivee L style guitars seem like they could be good in both categories. Do you think a guitar like an LV03, 05 or 09 would be good for me?

Also, what advantages does the 05 series have over the 03?

Definately, L's, LV's, are great. I play a little 'Guitar Boogie' Tommy E. on my L's, sounds and handle beautifully. There is a video clip on Tommy E. playin' a C model, check it out.
cheers
fongie

The L would be agreat all round guitar, and to clarify what fongie said, the C model is the L shape with a pointy cutaway instead of the rounded LV shape.  Interestingly TE usually plays an OM shape guitar, but his choice of Larrivee is the slightly larger L or C shape.

The difference between the 03 and 05 is that one is shiny and one isn't, with the 05 also incorporating an abalone rosette and sterling silver headstock binding.  The new 05s are mahogany, whereas the 03s are Sapele as standards now I believe, although there are numerous mahogany models available second hand.  It is suggested that the 05/09 series has superior quality wood, but one of the benefits of buying a Larrivee is that all their wood is very high quality.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Also, the 05 and up series have the iMix in their electronics. Is this system worth the extra price? It's the only thing that the 05/9 really has over the 03 for me.

Quote from: Sheepydog on July 02, 2009, 04:59:05 PM
Also, the 05 and up series have the iMix in their electronics. Is this system worth the extra price? It's the only thing that the 05/9 really has over the 03 for me.

I like the iMix. But you could buy an 03 series and put your own electronics of choice in it.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

If I don't care about a gloss top, do you think that an 03 is a better choice for me?

Quote from: Sheepydog on July 02, 2009, 11:40:39 PM
If I don't care about a gloss top, do you think that an 03 is a better choice for me?
Hi  :welcome: to the forum.
The 3-series will certainly leave you with spare cash for strings.  :winkin:  Some prefer the satin finish, others buy them just to gloss them up after wards, others go for the glossier ones - different strokes...
The L-bodies are definitely the obvious choice for your application. :+1:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Wow thanks for all the quick and helpful replies.  This forum is much better than others I've used.

Also, how loud can these L models go? I hear they don't have very good dynamic range.