Used Guitar Buying (or I think I found a D35)

Started by arriflex, July 01, 2009, 10:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I found a very nice sounding and very very balanced D35. It has a few finish issues I was curious if I should be concerned about. There are a few places along the binding where the clear coat has hopped away. On one there is also a small cloudy area in the finish on the back. The guitar is about 15 years old. The bone saddle also has some brown spots (just grime?).

It has a very balanced and open tone. The bass is not overbearing, but it definitely hits when you want it to.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts oN the finish issues,  thanks guys.

arriflex
Welcome to the forum.  For what it's worth, it seems like that's quite a few issues for a guitar that is only 15 year old. 
But, having said that, it sounds like these are all consmetic and not structural issues.  If you are getting a fair price considering thre condition of the guitar and you like the guitar otherwise then there's no reason not to go ahead and get it.    It may be harder later if you decide to sell it because potential buyers will be concerned with these same issues.  If the binding is not coming off altogether I wouldn't be too concerned about that.   cloudy area on the back ?  who knows ?   Of course a bone saddle can be replaced rather easily if needed; it's probably just dirty.
I've secretly wanted a lefty D-35 for a long time;  almost pulled the trigger on one recently but I waited too long.
Good luck.

Tuffythepug

I wouldn't be too concerned.  However, I'd make it sound like a HUGE deal when I make an offer.  Seriously, those flaws should be considered in the price.

Thanks for the prompt replies!

The guitar just looks like it's been played. It has a great sound though.

I was thinking if I got it around 1200 I'd be doing good. What do you guys think?

Typing from my phone, forgive errorss please ;)

That's around $300 less than the lefty I was looking at recently.  It was in excellent shape, however.   Not a bad price if it's a real good player.   Cosmetic issues do decrease the value considerably though.   I guess the big question is:  Is it worth that amount to YOU ?

Just sopped by and played it again after doing the GC and SA drop ins to play their d-35's. Everything had dead strings. One 35 was a complete dog. One was very bass heavy, but had character. The other was just forgettable. Played a very nice sounding HD-28, but it just didn't have the character the 35's have to me.

This 35 sounds more like and hd-28 in balance- hard to describe, but it's not like it's short on thundering bass, its just that the mids seem to have come up with age. Very very balanced compared to any of the shop 35's.

Also the grain on the used D35 (top) was much much wider than the new guitars. Not as wide or even as my '99 OM-05, but much moreso than most taylor or martins I see in shops new.

Ariflex: I have a Sunburst 76 D-35 that I purchased new and it's got a few dings from 32+ years of playing but it sounds and plays great. There is one exactly like mine that's probably on consignment on the used page @ Elderly, it's in a lot worse condition cosmetically and they are asking $2,100. I think who ever set that price is nuts but it's been on their site for months. Just so you know, I love my guitar but I am not so naive to believe it's a one of a kind guitar. Your comparison to an HD-28 has pretty much been my experience too over the years.

As Tuffy said, if it's a great player $1,100 to $1,200 tops but a 15 year old standard D-35 is not a collector's item either. You can get a brand new one with warranty for less than $2k so if you use the 50% plus or minus 15% rule, you'd be right in the ballpark.

P.S. My father-in-law was in business for himself for over 40 years. He was quite a horsetrader when it came to buying tools, boats, Boat Motors cars, etc. He always walked in with cash in both pockets plus whatever he wanted to trade if applicable. In one pocket he had what he wanted to pay and in the other pocket was the difference he was willing to offer if he really wanted it.  For example, in 1978, he bought a brand new 140HP Evinrude motor from a dealer who was strapped for cash that week and he paid $700 cash and his 115 HP because he had a motivated seller. He always told me that when you wave the cash under their nose, that usually seals the deal.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to walk. There are good deals to be had out there every day.

The guitar has an Ibeam installed as well. There is a nine volt battery holder screwed into the base of the neck inside (where the serial number is). Interesting.

I think it's the ibeam active, but I dont recall seeing the volume control.

Arri, 'Welcome', I wouldn't be wastin' to much time
cheers
fongie

Thanks fongie, I guess I'll let this one pass

I did see a D-60 at a local shop today that they were asking 1999 brand new for, I wonder how cheap I could get that for ;)