Has anyone experimented with different strings.

Started by Big E, June 30, 2009, 10:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone experimented with different brands with same gauge.
Were there noticeable differences..
What sort of changes did you notice between the various brands..
:guitar
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"

I would also like to ask which guitar you Larrivee guitar you experimented with. :wave

hey Big,
maybe you are not getting responses because this question has been discussed in great detail on the forum already.
I suggest you use the SEARCH option  and read all the great ideas and experiences, opinions shared.

I've learned I must first understand what SOUND I'm wanting, what sound my guitar gives me and what sound different types of strings can give me. You may need more than one guitar if you need more than one sound.
For example, the best 'sound' for bluegrass lead pickin' will be different than the sound you want for a spanish love song
finger picked.

I have a Larivee SD-50 mahogany - it gives a very bright sound, if I put very bright strings on it then its TOO BRIGHT for my ear !
So far, my favorite strings for it are the Martin SP+
I'm still experimenting.

If you bought your guitar before you understood what sound you wanted -
then you may need to get another guitar to get the sound you want.

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Thanks Larry, I'll do a search of old posts. :thumb

I'll chime in. I've done some extensive string comparisons, and continue to this day. I'll try this one, then that one, and currently I have Zebra strings made by DR I'm ready to mount up. They are a string that uses alternate wounds of phosphor bronze and nickle plated steel on round cores. They supposedly will create a better electrified acoustic sound... we'll see.

I like trying new stuff. I'll usually buy a three pak and give one to another guitar player I play with to get their opinions as well. I'll run through the other two sets and see if I want to make them my "main" string or not. However, on any given week I might be trying something new. I even had a set of titanium strings on for a bit not too long ago.

The difficulty in reviewing  strings is that you tend to compare a newly mounted string with a string that has settled. Not a real fair comparison. That said, I've been gravitating toward the Newtone Masterclass most of the time. But, who knows??? That "special" string may be just around the corner...
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

four years ago i would have answered John Peirce slack key set.
two years ago i would have answered Ej19 Bluegrass set.
today will answer Martin flexiable core med's.
two years from now ?

On an 2002 OM19 in CGDGAD or DADGAD, i play with a golden gate heavy thumbpick, and acrylic nails

d.

I've tried many strings before especially brands that won't break the bank balance, BUT, always revert back to D'addario and Elixir PB's. I feel this two brands don't need breakin' in when first installed, they are always right to go. Always have this crisp, clear sound and a great feel.
cheers
fongie

I'll second the D'addario comment fongie has made. They are an excellent price point, seem to last a reasonable amount of time, sound good and don't "fall off" too quickly, feel well... just a good all around string. Between the previously mentioned Newtone Masterclass and D'addario, I would have to give the nod to the D'addario only because they are significantly less money.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass