Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any pedal that can mimic an electric guitar?  (Read 601 times)
guitom

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:46 PM »

I play solo, just an acoustic through a PA or California Blonde acoustic amp.  Is there a pedal that would give a decent impression of an electric guitar.  I know nothing would replace an electric guitar with an amp, but I'm looking for something that would color my sound.  Four hours is a long time to play.

I remember seeing Sam Bush's band once and his guitar player played a song on his D that sounded pretty nasty, in a good way.
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »

The larger question would probably be what kind of electric guitar sound are you looking for?

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:39:44 AM »

I would think any overdrive/distortion box would do the trick.  Not a super-heavy one, but something like a BOSS Blues Driver.  Even the sweetest acoustic will sound like an electric with the "filth" (as they call it in the UK) cranked up.

Just watch out for feedback.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
rockhound

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:42:58 AM »

I haven't tried it, but a Tubescreamer (TS808) would probably do the job quite nicely - it has relatively light overdrive, but gives a really solid punch.

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »

In addition to the overdrive and distortion boxes mentioned I would also add an EQ to shape the output so that it resembles the response curve of an electric amp.

Ron

wilblee

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 02:05:27 PM »

Or go whole-hog and get a Line 6 POD X3 Live.  You can choose your amp, your effects, set EQ, etc. etc.  I got one for my electric gigs and have started playing my acoustics through it as well.  It has a lot of patches designed for acoustic guitar and can make your acoustic sound like an electric.  The one thing you have to be careful of, whichever way you go, is that  acoustic guitars tend to feedback much more than solid or semi-hollow electrics.  A lot of distortion boxes designed for electrics will cause your acoustic to scream like a banshee on acid - almost never a good thing.

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: