Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Week for Gigs!  (Read 444 times)
rockhound

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2009, 06:58:34 AM »

This is going to be a great week for gigs.

Tonight we're off to see Neil Young in Aberdeen and on Sunday, Steely Dan in Edinburgh.  Never had the chance to see either before, so really looking forward to them both as I've been a big fan for decades.

Even better, I discovered the support act for Neil is Laura Marling - her debut album was absolutely my record of the year for 2008.  She was only just 18 when it was released, and I think she is one of the most gifted songwriters out there just now.  Her songs are quirky, beautifully written and performed, and demonstrate a maturity way beyond her years.  I thoroughly recommend you check her out:

http://www.lauramarling.com/

http://www.myspace.com/lauramarling

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:22:15 AM »

Let us know how the concert went. I wished he'd tour Australia, I'm definately a Neil Young nut
cheers
fongie
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:21:59 AM »

crying crying crying

Wish I was going to see Neil Young tonight.  We get so few good gigs up north that it sucks to be working in Aberdeen at the time when rare things like this are going on.

Let us know how it went rockhound.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
rockhound

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:55:59 AM »

Went to see Steely Dan last night - what a show!  Band with 10 musicians (including Fagen and Becker) and 2 backing singers - amazing full sound, phenomenally talented musicians (esp. the horn section) and more or less every class song in their catalogue, including most of Aja.  The sound quality in the venue was excellent.  The guitar player John Herington really stole the show in my view - some great solo work.

Interesting demographics with the audience - the fact that there were long queues for the guys' toilets and none for the girls' tells the story.  Vast majority of the crowd was male, and clearly many dodgy prostates!  I felt young, and I've got the big 5-0 this year.....

Something of a contrast to the Neil Young gig to say the least, but a great show nonetheless.

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2003 Yamaha RGX420
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »

Huge Dan fan here. saw them once years ago.
They are simply the best band. Always on. Musical perfectinoists.
Lovely melodies, lush arrangements, searing guitar solos, and lyrics from the other side of the tracks.
My son grew up listening to them in the house. Now he is the 2nd biggest SD fan I know of, and he is also a guitarist (better than his father).
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »

I saw them in San Francisco in 1972 at the Winter Garden.  Kinda' interesting to know that they're still touring and impressing the audience after all these years.  My buddy still talks about the show.

After the show, we went to a club called the Garden of Earthly Delight.  I still talk about that bar...

jimmy

rockhound

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:09:23 AM »

Definitely still impressing me, and clearly still enjoying being on the road.  Been a fan since the late 70s but never seen them live until Sunday.   Musical ability right out of the top drawer - all the band members were superb.

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2003 Yamaha RGX420
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: