Luthiers and repair techs available to forum members for repairs & tuning

Started by DJ in FL, June 28, 2009, 01:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know we are all always on the lookout for a quality luthier to work on our instruments, and good ones are hard to find IMHO.

I found a QUALITY guy here in Sarasota/Bradenton FL...his name is Charlie Whitt. 

His site is "www.Charliesguitarer.com", and he is also listed on "www.repairmyguitar.com".

I would HIGHLY recommend his services for quality work, great prices, F A S T service (don't want to be without any git too long) and he is a quality picker himself who obviously loves music and guitars...he'll build you one!

:nana_guitar
:nanadance

Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

Cool another good guy.moderaters maybe we can start a permit thread listing repairpeople and Luthier's know to formites in there area,as we always have someone asking.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Good suggestion. I've made this a sticky thread. Based on previous luthier recommendations, there may be both good and bad reviews, of the same luthier or repair tech.

I suggest providing the following info.

1. Name and city (also put in subject line)
2. Web page or address and telephone number
3. Any comments pro/con. Keep any negative comments professional/factual in nature and don't use this thread to engage in debate.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Dutch's Pawn
415 W Main
Spokane, WA 99201
(509) 747-5284
Luthier: Rick
Although this is a pawn shop, they have a full set up and repair facility for stringed instruments. Rick is one of the most knowledgable guys in the area for set up and repair. Another guy working in the guitar shop is Jason who used to work for Larrivee in Canada. I've had both acoustic and electric work performed and they have been both reasonable and professional.

Mark's Guitar Shop
918 W Garland Ave
Spokane, WA 99205
(509) 325-8353
Talk to: Nate or Charlie
Local Larrivee dealer, although they don't stock a lot of new ones. I've bought a lot from them over the years and they are great at set ups and installation. I've never had any repair work done, but I would trust them with that as well.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

We are blessed in Rochester NY with three great places to go.  :laughin:

Dave Stutzman, http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com/, second generation guitar store and great service.

Bernie Lehmann, http://www.lehmannstrings.com/, luthier (really nice stuff) as well as repairs and service

John Bernunzio, http://bernunzio.com/, fantastic selection of vintage instruments as well as repairs

All three are worth a visit if you get our way, and each has his own niche complementing the others.

Vern
Old Folkie
1974 Guild D25 (Fishman Matrix PU)
2005 Larrivee L-03 (from bleumax) with K&K Pure Mini PU
Also dabble in fiddle, clawhammer banjo, cavequeno

Thanks for the work Randy.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Anyone able to recommend a guitar tech in the Memphis, Tennessee area?  No immediate need, but eventually I'll want to take my guitar in and have a set up done -- once I feel I've gotten to know the instrument a bit better, been through a few string changes, etc.

Thanks!
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Please remember to interview them.They're the doctor for your guitar.My I also add that once you've found the right one that dropping off little gifts now and then is a good thing.I have a couple of guys that drop off bottle's scotch every now and then.This does get them freebe's here and there.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Toronto, ON, Canada

Brian Mascarin
416-787-1531

Absolutely love this guy. Did an amazing set up on my second FIII. Is extremely knowledgeable and works fast.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Two to recommend in the Albany NY area.  I've used both of these guys, who are also certified CF Martin techs:

Steve Brown (Schenectady), www.stevenbrown.com 518-370-2164
  Did a good job leveling & refinishing the frets on my Lav. OM

Steve Kovacik (Scotia), www.guitar-repair.com 518-381-3958
  Fixed a crack on my first guitar, a Washburn Jumbo

I've had somewhat mixed results with the few guitar techs I've used here in Vermont.  Anyone have any recommendations for northern new england or southern quebec?  I've got an L-03 that needs perhaps a new nut and some fret levelling and a back seam separation repair.  Who have you used in the past?

gary

Quote from: huladude456 on July 10, 2009, 07:30:17 AM
I've had somewhat mixed results with the few guitar techs I've used here in Vermont.  Anyone have any recommendations for northern new england or southern quebec?  I've got an L-03 that needs perhaps a new nut and some fret levelling and a back seam separation repair.  Who have you used in the past?
I haven't used them, but Randy Crosby Repair in Burlington is an authorized Martin factory rep; should be "good enough" for any brand.  802-865-3890.  Larrivee site also lists a few VT dealers who may be able to do it or recommend

I have a client moving to the Atlanta area.He is mostly an electric player{jazz,blues}.So any suggestion would be nice.If you ever get a chance to see him check him out.Richard Lollar.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Michael Miller
Colorado Springs, CO
719-632-8270

A superb tech, very knowledgeable and experienced. Michael is a perfectionist, and his rates are reasonable. He will tell you if he doesn't think he can help, or that nothing really needs to be done. He will help you over the phone if he thinks a truss rod tweak, etc, is all that is required.
He also plays and teaches guitar, and is very friendly and easy to work with. He explains in great detail what he thinks needs to be done.
He is the tech recommended and used by the top professional musicians in the area.
He has taken care of my guitars for over 5 years. He has a shop behind his house.

Al

What part of the Springs is Michael in? We may be moving to the north side of Colorado Springs next year if everything falls into place for us. We are looking into the Cadera Ranch and Flying Horse areas. I'm also worried about how dry the area is for my D-03. Not to worry until winter and the use of the heater?

Quote from: ARK on July 20, 2009, 07:41:07 PM
Michael Miller
Colorado Springs, CO
719-632-8270

A superb tech, very knowledgeable and experienced. Michael is a perfectionist, and his rates are reasonable. He will tell you if he doesn't think he can help, or that nothing really needs to be done. He will help you over the phone if he thinks a truss rod tweak, etc, is all that is required.
He also plays and teaches guitar, and is very friendly and easy to work with. He explains in great detail what he thinks needs to be done.
He is the tech recommended and used by the top professional musicians in the area.
He has taken care of my guitars for over 5 years. He has a shop behind his house.

Al
Gregg
'05 Fender Highway 1 Strat
'07 Fender Lite Ash Tele
'70s Crown Gold Top LP copy
'04 Larrivee D-03 Mahogany
'05 Martin D-15 Rosewood
Washburn 5257 1/2

I just bought a BEAUTIFUL "C" with awesome Brazilian back and sides, and sweet sitka top. Unfortunately, this awesome presentation grade instrument was played rather aggressively, (I am trying to be kind here), and there is a ding or two on top as well as scratch marks on the top past the clear pick guard. A martin I sent to Martin with similar issues came back to me looking BRAND NEW.

Will Larrivee deliver the same results if I sent their guitar home to be made like new again?

Thought I would mention a great Wisconsin luthier, Todd Cambio of Madison. He specializes in the classic guitars of the 20s and 30s, repairs, restorations, and has his own line of custom reproductions of Oscar Schmidt, Lyon & Healy, Larson Brothers, Regal.
http://www.fraulini.com

He is building me a Stella-style ladder-braced 12-fret slothead. I was on his waiting list for nearly a year before he got to building my guitar as his guitars are in great demand by fans of the old time country blues. Check out his site -- it's worth a look.
Martin 000-15S
Larrivee P-03 Flamed Austrian Walnut
LK2 Little Martin Koa

Attila Balogh was my guy until he passed away in the 80's since then Paul (who was his assistant back then) is my guy.. the propaganda is taken from  NJAMS website;
PAUL IVERSON'S REPAIRS
In 1967 his first attempt to build his own guitar, (a tele) proved successful enough to do it again and again. A native of Victoria, B.C., Paul moved to Vancouver in the late 70's and focused on developing his natural abilities, hanging out with Jean Larivee (Larivee Guitars) and Atilla Balogh (Odyssey Guitars), learning what he could from them. Now 35 years later, Paul has worked on and built guitars for such people as Sarah McLachlan, Brad Whitford (Aerosmith), Chad Kroeger (Nickleback) and Jimmy Page. Paul has also been maintaining the impressive Bruce Fairbairn guitar collection from the Armoury Studios in Vancouver. His lengthy bass-playing resume includes tours with Strange Advance and Bryan Adams.

PAUL'S SERVICES INCLUDE
Setup (action, intonation, truss rod adjustment)
Fret work (full refret, partial refret, fret dress- advising on what is most appropriate)
Structural repairs (neck resets, neck repairs, brace repair, bridge repair)
Cosmetic repair (refinishing, touch ups, binding repair, chip repair)
Electronic repairs (modifications, custom installations of pickups and switches, active circuits)
Custom guitar building

They are not kidding about Page either, i saw both #1 & #2 on Paul's bench.. and on another day the holy grail - a prewar martin D45... some serious coin on his bench some days... and a Banner Head Gibbie J45 of his is still sitting on a bench waiting for him to have time to finish it.. it's been a few decades now ;-)

Great fast service if you are a working pro, great but slower service if you are an ex-pro, weekend warrior, decent player, know what you want, bring him treats...

You can reach him here;
1757 Capilano Road North Vancouver, BC, Canada V7P 3B5
Tel: (604) 988-9974
Fax: (604) 985-2580

d.

I live in Manhattan and would like a check up and possible new set up on a fairly new OM 05.  Something isn't right with it.  Any suggestions for a first rate tech in the Big Apple? I read the post about the tech in Schnectady, NY. That may be my fall back position.