Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: J-05 owners, your thoughts appreciated...(I did it!!)  (Read 2348 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:04:14 AM »

Hi guys
I'm in two minds about a potential trade-deal, and the prize for me would be a J-05E, a guitar that I've always wanted, or rather have always been very keen on since I remember strumming one before, but hardly had enough time to play it properly. Any thoughts folks would like to share on these beauties please? - especially things to look out for if any...
Rob, I know you own/ed? one at some stage, and you seemed to have loved it. I'm going over to "present my goods" and take a look at it at the dealer on Friday.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »

Zohn. I have one of the LJ-05s. It has really good sound. Deep and resonent, good projection and volume, just what you'd think a jumbo would have.

Playing it standing was most comfortable for me, but it could be done sitting. I've not a/b'd it against a J-05 or even L-05.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:42:25 PM »

My first Larrivee was a JV-05E, bought from a fellow forumite.  Playing the low E string was like hitting a bass drum.  Just wow!  Mine had some QC issues.  The fret ends had to be sanded and the holes in the bridge had to be enlarged a bit.

It was a nice guitar but not a great one.  The mid-range got lost with the booming lows and clear highs.  I sold it to another forum member who sold it soon thereafter.  Amazingly, I saw it on eBay a year later (same serial number).

My advice would be to really try to play one first.  It is big and that might be a burden after a while.  There is a reason why they are no longer made.

Play it daily for best results.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:48:32 PM »

I love mine,never any issue's.Balanced like any other Larrivee.I do have to be careful as it does produce a lot of volumn agaist most other guitars.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »

+1 Thanx guys, I can't wait to go and try it out on Friday. I appreciate your replies!

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »

let us know how it went.....

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »

I have a J-09 in maple that I would hard pressed to get rid of.  I had a J-10 which I sold in a spasm of stupidity.  I say give it a spin and she how you like it. 

http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:51:27 PM »

I have a J-09 which I love (pix below).  Bass is very strong but the trebles are also strong & sweet - overall, definitely the best-sounding guitar I've owned.  Nut width on mine is 1 11/16, which doesn't feel much different than 1 3/4, because the spacing at the bridge is actually the same as my Larrivee OM with 1 3/4 nut.  I've seen 1 3/4" nuts mentioned on these too.  And yes, that low-E is like thunder!  J-05 ('hog) might be a little more treb'ly than rosewood, but overall probably similar fun

If you weren't aware, the LJ and J are two different animals.  Big animals, but different.  The J is a traditional jumbo in the style of a big Gibson J-200 or something (round, almost circular lower bout about 17" wide... narrow waist and upper bout around 12.5" wide)

The LJ is shaped exactly like an "L" model but expanded up so that the lower bout is about 17". 

Here's a link that shows the specs and an outline of each shape (thanks to Randy_R for this)
http://randyrick.us/guitars/LarriveeSpecs.htm

Hope you like it!
Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:32:46 PM »

Jumbo Love!!

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 07:18:24 AM »

I have a J-09 which I love (pix below). 

Wow what a beautie!!

If you weren't aware, the LJ and J are two different animals.  Big animals, but different.  The J is a traditional jumbo in the style of a big Gibson J-200 or something (round, almost circular lower bout about 17" wide... narrow waist and upper bout around 12.5" wide)

The LJ is shaped exactly like an "L" model but expanded up so that the lower bout is about 17". 

Here's a link that shows the specs and an outline of each shape (thanks to Randy_R for this)
http://randyrick.us/guitars/LarriveeSpecs.htm

Hope you like it!
Dave
+1 Thanx for the info Dave - I always wondered about the specs of the LJ body. Must say I prefer the J-shape (since I'm an avid J-200 fan as well)
I love my L-body too though, and don't think I'll ever part with it unless I have to. I think the L-bodies compare in a way to the J-185 or the "small jumbo" as well - do you agree?

RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »

I think the L-bodies compare in a way to the J-185 or the "small jumbo" as well - do you agree?

Heh heh... I think I'd agree that the L-body is around the size of a small jumbo, but getting into the different sound qualities of each could turn this into one of those "anybody's guess" sort of things.

Actually though I've never owned an L-body or small jumbo shape (of any brand) so I wouldn't really know.  Guess I jumped to both (smaller & larger) sides of that style between the OM and J

obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 02:07:04 PM »

I'm going over to "present my goods" and take a look at it at the dealer on Friday.

Hey Zohn, whats being offered in trade? Please dont say the SD-50 !!! wacko

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Gibson ES-339.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »

Hey Zohn, whats being offered in trade? Please dont say the SD-50 !!! wacko

Cheers, Scott.
+1 Hey Scott! - that SD is going nowhere mate, it is in fact my brand new Smooth Talker. I'll not count my chickens yet though, the jumbo must at least be better for my application. It won't be easy to let the Smoothie go either, a lot of personal specs went into that custom axe.  blush

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »

Jumbo Love!!

nice guitar Oh my word, that maple body looks good. Somewhat J-200-ish, only better with the Larrivee pick guard and the better looking tuners - are those Schallers?

FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 10:23:35 PM »

No...just stock gold Larrivee tuners with ivoroid or whatever buttons.  It came with the chrome ones.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 02:37:33 AM »

Larrivee maple bodies sound so much better then the J200.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 04:57:11 AM »

Larrivee maple bodies sound so much better then the J200.
Wow Rob,   now that then settles it: the J-200 is officially off my "wanted" list, and the search is on for the Larrivee.
Say FNG, how about some more pics showing off some of that maple mate?  whistling

FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »

My J-10 that I sold... crying

rockhound

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 11:50:24 AM »

FNG - that is a gorgeous guitar, mate.  I bet it sounds fantastic.

nice guitar

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 01:36:17 PM »

OK guys, I did it!!!! - awesome guitar with some plectrum-rash, which means it was played good, and the case is pretty beat up, but it sounds every bit like I imagined, and better. The shop really embraced me, and set it up with a new set of Light Cleartones. I'll send photos later ok!!
I finally got the jumbo I've wanted for a very long time, and I'm officially over the moon!! 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: