Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lullaby Of Birdland"  (Read 756 times)
Will Fly

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »

A lovely old tune from 1952 by George Shearing. I first heard this as a fingerstyle guitar piece when it was played by Al Stewart at the old Free Trades Hall in Manchester in (I think) 1967 or 1968. He was the opening support act for the Incredible String Band. I've been meaning to play it for over 40 years and only got round to it recently!

Lullaby Of Birdland

Cheers,

Will
jbrummer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:36:37 PM »

Thanks for that Will Fly -- great way to start my day! Keep the tunes coming, they're one of the best things about this forum.  I no longer have any excuses not to learn new stuff (used to say I just couldn't afford lessons).  Now I just hit youtube and videos like yours and I'm all set.  Thanks again.

". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »

that was very nice...your picking is nice and smooth, and that guitar sounds (and looks) beautiful...Thx I enjoyed that....Dan nice guitar

Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 03:48:03 PM »

Forgot to mention - the audio was recorded on a borrowed Zoom H2, as Reg, the drummer's Staffordshire terrier, had bitten through my Shure's XLR cable at the last-but-one gig...

And, if you're interested, the tab+chords OR music are available as separate PDF sheets from: my website tabs page.

Anyway, glad you liked it.

Cheers,

Will
WileE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »

Excellent as usual! Do you have a trick for syncronizing the audio and video or did you do it some other way?

Larrivee 00-40R
Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »

Excellent as usual! Do you have a trick for syncronizing the audio and video or did you do it some other way?

I feed the audio into "Audacity" on my Mac Book Pro, then create an mp3 audio file which I insert into one of the audio tracklines in iMovie software. I then dump the video from the DVD camcorder into the video trackline in the iMovie file. I can move the two tracks along so that, by playing the sound from each together at the same time, I can tell whether they're in synch. When they are in synch, I lop off extraneous tops and tails of audio and video, switch off the camcorder sound and - lo and behold - a polished product. I then add titling and fades from within iMovie.

I then save as a high quality Quicktime movie and upload to the Tube.

Cheers,

Will
WileE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 04:33:09 PM »

Thanks! One last question, what kind of camcorder are you using?

Larrivee 00-40R
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »

another pearl from Will.
Bravo!
Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »

Thanks! One last question, what kind of camcorder are you using?

A Canon - with a screen that twists round so I can see how the picture looks. Not very expensive - about £160 a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Will
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »

Thanks. An old friend used to fingerpick and sing that song. It has memories.
It is about the Jazz club "Byrdland" I believe. Some great singers have sung on that tune too.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »

wonderfull .....really like that pickin'       

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »

Really good, Will.  I laughed at the youtube poster who said, "I wish you were my dad." 

Thanks for sharing your music.
Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 08:40:21 AM »

Really good, Will.  I laughed at the youtube poster who said, "I wish you were my dad." 

Thanks for sharing your music.

Do you know, I really couldn't believe that post, and then I thought perhaps it have been from someone who'd always wanted to play the guitar but got no encouragement or help from their father, perhaps just discouragement - which was my position when I started playing, at the age of 20. And the poster's age, according to YouTube, is 25. So, in an odd way, I was a little moved by that, and it made me think of my own son (34 yesterday) who's coming over with his partner and my grandson for dinner today, and how I hope he's glad that I'm his father.

Makes you think...
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 10:54:27 AM »

Happy father's day Will.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: