Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At what point to invest in a de-humidifier?  (Read 457 times)
magictwanger

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2009, 03:33:03 AM »

I have a good,well controlled guitar room......Usually.

What I mean is that it is easy to maintain a good average humidity of about 50% year round.......in winter I have in home humidifiers,coupled to floor units,so it is a snap to keep things just fine.That is winter,fall,spring(basically).

This time of year,in the Northeast U.S. we get some days that are not hot enough to run A/C,which I have in the room as well.When the temperature hovers around the mid seventies and we get a week or so of rain,the humidity in my room gets to about "sixty two" percent,with a room temp of 70-72 degrees.Not too bad,but....

I know I can run A/C,but at that low a temp,it is a bit silly,not to mention expensive.Also,when we get a week of wet weather,like this last week,if I run the A/C,it gets the temp and humidity down,but shuts off quickly,since it is cool already....Basically the humidity will remain at about 60 %.

These conditions don't last long this time of year,and I know I will get back to a good humidity level soon,but for a week or so it will run at about sixty two percent....Not drastic  or really bad,but enough to be concerned...btw,the guitars are cased,"always".....At these times the in case level will be comensurate with the room.

Am I getting overly concerned,or should I go for a de-humidifier?....It is not going to be used alot,what with my already good A/C and normal humidifier(for cold weather),but I'm wondering "what does one do in borderline weather conditions",that only last a week or so?

Thanks folks
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 03:47:01 AM »

"what does one do in borderline weather conditions",that only last a week or so?

Nothing.  A week or so of borderline weather conditions shouldn't hurt guitars. Otherwise, some of mine would have been cracked by now.  It's extremely dry up in Northern Alberta. There've been times my guitar humidifiers were so dry for up to a week --- of course, I quickly fill them up with water and they're just fine.

As a cheap remedy, you may use one of them "clear crystal thingys they have in packaged goods to keep moisture down" ---
I'm sure someone here knows exactly what I'm referring to.

ricky
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:53:21 AM »

Yo Ricky,WOW that was quick
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:32:49 AM »

Hi magictwanger,

Check out this article on the Larrivée site.

http://www.larrivee.com/5_features/educationEssays/humidityWood_essay.html

55%-70%
Relative
Humidity SAFE RANGE

No major problems should occur with limited exposure.

Top and back will probably appear slightly more convex than normal. Playability may be affected.

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:51:42 PM »

A week with the RH in the low 60's should hurt anything but I would keep the guitars out of the case with some air circulating around them to help dry them.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:39:39 PM »

Spend the 3 beans and get a dehumidifier,I've got 2 in my house that I keep set at 50% which is were I'm comfortable.My AC goes off less,all I have to do is empty the bucket once a day.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
gusto5

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:13:52 PM »

If you have a room for guitars, then a dehumidifier isn't a bad idea overall. Allows you better control (and hopefully won't sit you there tweaking for hours).

2002 Yamaha F310-TBS (Sandy/K&K PWM)
2008 Larrivee D-03R (Luna/K&K PWM)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: