fret wire

Started by Hismusic, June 08, 2009, 09:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone tell me the best product to maintain or clean fret wire on my Larrivee

polish them with some 0000 steel wool. Don't snag the fret ends.

0000 steel wool every now and then.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

Is it necessary to protect the fret board while rubbing the frets with the wool?
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"

The 0000 steel wool also cleans the fretboard.  If I remember correctly the Taylor website has a little how to video.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Quote from: Big E on July 14, 2009, 12:57:40 AM
Is it necessary to protect the fret board while rubbing the frets with the wool?

If you haven't used this process before, it probably seems like the steel wool would be abrasive, but the 0000 grit is pretty much harmless.  Just rub across the fret board (as opposed to buffing along the length of the neck).  While this wont be necessary with a new guitar like yours, the steel wool cleans any residue from the fret board and will also have the effect of polishing the frets.  

I think that you'll see pretty quickly that you'd have to be pretty agressive before you'd cause any damage to the board or frets.  I usually do this about every 3 or 4 string changes, and apply a small amount of tongue oil to the fret board and bridge.  Hopefully, this will help to make that scratch disappear.

jimmy

Thank you all. That is another thing I love about this forum. Great expertise readily shared. (And no-one chastising newbies for asking)    :+1:
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"