Forum IV

Started by Danny, June 05, 2009, 10:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: tikabear on June 06, 2009, 12:01:50 PM
I would like to see a 000, satin, no pickguard or clear pickguard, dots or no dots, 12 fret slothhead, mahogany with sitka or other form of spruce and pyramid bridge built someday.

OO     or       OOO   ???        No matter which one, 4" depth is a must or I'm out.   Regular production OOO is more than 4".

But I think, the interest is currently OO.

Question: If it should go (triple)  OOO,  will that box be similar in size to LS (FIII)?   Someone please enlighten us.

ricky

Quote from: prof_stack on June 06, 2009, 10:27:15 AM
If I jump in on this, I would not want Italian because my FIII has it.  Why not Engleman?  But I also think that Larrivee does Sitka right! 

Slotheads are cool.  At one point I had three (000-15S, SD-50, Yamaki 12).
Cutaway option?
Gloss would shoot the cost up to $2k at least.  What does a Martin forum 00 cost?

Anyone have some pictures of 00 Larrivees?

Here's what I thought to be the general consensus on these tonewoods.  An Engelman would be my last choice, but I am definitely not the most knowlegable or experiennced source of info.  I would go w/ Italian or a thinly cut Adi because it's going to need some help to an Adi top moving in a small package.

Sitka...The best all around spruce. Responds well to all styles.  Has warmth and clarity. Not as dynamic a range as Adi or Italian.

Engelman... Punchy and bright, less warmth than Sitka.

Adirondack... Boom! Loud.  Widest tonal range and loudest of the spruces.  Adds some complexity and overtones, really shines with aggression, the hardest of spruces, has been know to be less responsive to light touch.  The flat picking king.

Italian... bright and warm with the complexity and overtones of Adi but a touch softer and extremely responsive to the light touch giving the player a wide range of choices dynamic playing styles.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 06, 2009, 11:14:05 AM
for 4 dots on the 12th fret ???

I hope not...the three micro dots are my least favorite aesthetic feature on the FIII. No markers at all would look even better....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: bluesman67 on June 06, 2009, 01:09:59 PM

Italian... bright and warm with the complexity and overtones of Adi but a touch softer and extremely responsive to the light touch giving the player a wide range of choices dynamic playing styles.

I agree with this...I love any spruce but the IS on the forum guitar I have is exactly as you describe it.  Amazing!!

I won`t be hopping on the Forum IV bandwagon....when can we start to talk about Forum V?   :wink:

QuoteI hope not...the three micro dots are my least favorite aesthetic feature on the FIII. No markers at all would look even better....

Dots are no biggie - you can have them put on for $15 each or less by a luthier, repair person, most any shop.
I've done that with 2 of my guitars - had some side micro dots put on.
...did it with my Pavan classical- it came with 1 micro dot - I had 3 more put on for $15 each.

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Sounds like you are describing a 00-50 with a satin finish, and maybe an alternate top material. Brand new and under $1500? Good luck - I think you're looking at a bit more, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you -   I'd be looking at what the best wholesale price you could hope to get a 000-50 for these days, and figure it's closer to that -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: Dotneck on June 06, 2009, 01:18:07 PM
I hope not...the three micro dots are my least favorite aesthetic feature on the FIII. No markers at all would look even better....

Some people liked them on the F III but, as with anything, opinions can differ.  I haven't heard any negative comments about the three dots until now though.   I hope the F IV, if it does come to fruition, will be more to your liking with regard to fret markers or lack thereof.

With regard to keeping this thing in a reasonable price range:     Slothead and gloss are going to drive the price up more than anything with the possible exception of a sunburst finish.    If you keep all the trim to a bare minimum (no herringbone or abalone rosettes, etc.) you might have a chance of keeping in near the $1,500 mark in a satin finish but don't expect Italian or Englemann spruce at that price.

In case enough folks wanted to spend north of $2000, here are some pics of an OO-50MT as possible future FIV.  Love that herringbone on hog.  Forum guitar V can always go back to the satin/low cost route.  Just throwin' that out there...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 06, 2009, 02:02:59 PM
Some people liked them on the F III but, as with anything, opinions can differ.  I haven't heard any negative comments about the three dots until now though.

Oh, the dots are not that big a deal...that's why I never mentioned it. I just don't much care for the microdots at all. I'd rather have an inlay that has some style to it or nothing at all...to me the microdots look like a way to have fret markers but keep the cost down...

I think the next comment may  belong in the category of "Larrivees are great guitars for the money..." and I know that riles some people up...

Quote from: tuffythepug on June 06, 2009, 02:02:59 PM
With regard to keeping this thing in a reasonable price range:     Slothead and gloss are going to drive the price up more than anything with the possible exception of a sunburst finish.    If you keep all the trim to a bare minimum (no herringbone or abalone rosettes, etc.) you might have a chance of keeping in near the $1,500 mark in a satin finish but don't expect Italian or Englemann spruce at that price.

I think when you start a project like this you need to first decide are you going to try to build a guitar at the lowest cost possible (ie good for the money) or are you going to build it the way you want it...sure the glossy finish, slothead and sunburst are features that cost more...but a slothead glossy cutaway Larrivee, even if it costs more than an 03,  can be reasonably priced when compared to similar guitars by other manufacturers...

Anyway...I have a feeling if I offer much more of my opinions it may start another flame war...and since the forum has finally calmed down, I may limit my input on this project and see what you guys come up with....then I can decide if I'm interested....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

OYE VEY!!....Just when I was "thinking" I was happy,I come upon this thread!!

Ok,I admit I've been Gas'ing for a 00,slothead (and a D-18A,OR H&D TDM....which is a LONG,LONG,LONG way off)....but...I have some fairly simple parameters(aside from price,and how long the "deposit" phase comes before the "balance" phase.....MUCHO important!!).

The economy has bitten be badly,but for the right "combo" I'd be presed hard.I think I'm leaning to go with you guys....I hope!!I need to see how this all develops,but I don't care for an "all" hog.I'd like a different "top",and a gloss top.....

Surely ZOHN knows my taste :winkin:...He's a bit of a Guru to me,so we'll see.

Very interesting....Now,I'm gonna start getting stingey with small purchases again,so I can start a "Git fund".When I go out to dinner,tonight,it looks like the appitizer is going to be dropped.That should give me about ten bucks for the "fund".....Bada bing!

Like I said....OYE VEY! ...In a GOOD WAY!  :smile:      Hey "that" rhymes!!

Best to all

Btw,forgot to mention....fuel for "really nice" thought!.....Check "this" out.....

On the Martin Guitar Forum(D-28 Lounge)..."Those folks" decided on a GORGEOUS 00 slothead,of figured hog,with fairly simple appointments.

I believe that was the last forum guitar "there".I've followed many of those posters,and they all seem to LOVE it.

Best

Perhaps it would be wise to take a poll upfront about cost range -

all the option discussion becomes academic if there are not enough to pay the price.
You could set up a poll similar to this-

I would be willing to pay -
O-  $1500 or under
O-  $1500 - 1750
O-  $1750 - 2000
O-  $2000 - 2250
O-  $over 2250

Then options can be decided on based on based on the popular price range.
For example , if the $2250 or over is acceptable to 'most' then get as much as can be had for that price,
gloss, italian spruce, inlays, whatever...

There is no need for those who can't afford it to debate options -

- Larry 
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

I like the idea of the 00 size with the simple statements, with the options to upgrade- kinda like we did the Forum III.  Give most people the opportunity to participate, plus gives a little flexibility for people to personalise it. 

I remember someone asking for a deep body 00. Now that may be a very unique Forum git.
                00 size, but a deep 5'' or slightly more maybe 5 1/2. Then a slot head 12 fret, I like the IS myself, with the MT option as before. Satins fine, I'd love to do another ''donut run'' and be sure to include "all" who have any inclination to deliver the goodies to our friends at Larrivee. Even if d. has to arrange a bus to take us all.
                1500 may be feasable on this one if it's done at Vancouver, but if we have a "forum" on gloss this time, well so be it.
        I'm not getting any younger and neither is JCL, so we better keep moving forward.

Anyone who wants to run with this can have it. I just want to be "in".   Unless you order a "shoulder killer" then I'm back to a Martin 000-15s (mahogany)

Quote from: L-fan on June 06, 2009, 02:47:18 PM
In case enough folks wanted to spend north of $2000, here are some pics of an OO-50MT as possible future FIV.  Love that herringbone on hog.  Forum guitar V can always go back to the satin/low cost route.  Just throwin' that out there...

Wow !  When I saw this it blew my mind ! I think the G.A.S. list has new No. 1. :nice guitar:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

As long as we're talking tops... has a Larrivee ever been made with cedar like classicals. I think that combination with Mahogany in the 00 would be nice. Some real projection out of a classical sized instrument.

$.02 and counting.

fred
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on June 06, 2009, 05:45:34 PM
As long as we're talking tops... has a Larrivee ever been made with cedar like classicals. I think that combination with Mahogany in the 00 would be nice. Some real projection out of a classical sized instrument.

$.02 and counting.

fred

Oh yeah!!  Cedar on a OO, that would be sweet!!!!  I've always wondered why there aren't more cedar topped Larrivees?  Isn't BC chock full of the stuff? 

Cedar would be easy for Vancouver, or for Oxnard.

I have to add in here though, I would like to see one from Oxnard. Matthew and JCL would produce some fine instruments for us and they may cost more but it's only money and Obamma will probably take it from us if we don't spend it first anyway.
                   That last part is  for the "duck" who would have said it first if he wasn't so busy with whatever he's busy with these days.

Quote from: L-fan on June 06, 2009, 02:47:18 PM

WOW.... and yes... can they make a deeper body???

And a clear PG.. I just need that option since it's no biggie, I never have cared for the newer PG's much.