Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum IV  (Read 25574 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »

Cash is tight!....I'm gonna have to see a pretty special git(multi options,and a fair price) to jump on that band wagon.....Zohn to the rescue,I'd expect 

Hey Mark, ever so kind aren't you?  - thanx to this thread though, I finally saw the light and realized I'm officially out of the Forum-guitar-equation. I'm rather saving for the guitars I really want instead. I'm watching proceedings with great interest though - this could end up in a great guitar yet.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »

In all honesty Zohn,I picked up on your sentiment a while ago.No problemo from me,and I usually take your lead anyway....Look what you influenced me into,last Winter.

In my case it is really/honestly a BIG "if"....I'd hope everyone gets what they'd like,but I am going to "need" a git(as a new forum model OO) that I know would match your exquisite standards.

I'd expect that would be a bit over what we(and myself) would want to pay....so it is still a mystery....

Who doesn't like a good mystery anyway.   

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2009, 09:35:15 PM »

very clear that OO 12-fret slothead may very well be the Forum IV

"exquisite appointments" more than 2,000 - Oxnard built

"lowly 03 series" sub-1700 - Vancouver built

There's only 1 dealer known to order as few as 5-10 units from either factory locations.

If the state of economy is better than what we're in now, we would be ordering by now.

Except for scalloped bracing, the factories will do anything for

(1) passion & interest and (2) $$$$$

not always in that order.

ricky
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2009, 01:15:27 AM »

Thats a good thought ricky, but I will say that I believe that Jean will not do anything the customer wants regardless of the qty and $$s involved. He still puts his name on it, and he has very strong feelings about what does or does not make a good guitar. Listen to a couple of interviews with him, and you can tell that the idea of doing more hi-end expensive and custom instruments has been brought up many times, and he's made it clear that his goal of hi-quality at affordable prices is what he has chained his artistic soul to - to all of our benefit - not that it cannot change in the future, but I think his integrity of purpose will only stretch so far -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2009, 07:57:06 AM »

he's made it clear that his goal of hi-quality at affordable prices is what he has chained his artistic soul to - to all of our benefit - not that it cannot change in the future, but I think his integrity of purpose will only stretch so far -

Tad, I guess 'exquisite' will have to be limited to 09 or 10 appointments and perhaps "AAA" grade woods or some exotic woods.

Before I bought my OO-09, I was considering a OO-10 Custom in FS-section here listed at $2500, which I think went for 2300. The only thing that I could see in the "custom" was the fancy 'woman dancing' inlay on the headstock and koa binding. The rest was basically the same as the 09.

ricky
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »

Hey ricky - I probably didn't make myself as clear as I should have  - I think Jean would happily let Wendy or whoever do custom inlays, change body bindings, headstock overlays, different woods, whatever - I think they understand that there are a variety of tastes, and none of those really affect the basic guitar. But if you think that for enough money he'll start building ladder braced, or scalloping braces, or modifying top thickness to a customers spec, well, I wouldn't hold your breath. He's built alot of guitars, and found what works and sounds right to him, and I don't think that a little more money is going to change that. I'm sure that there are a few people who could convince him to give something new a try, and he is still an outstanding craftsman who could very possibly get intrigued with an interesting build technique or style that he finds in his travels. But a customer waving money at him - I just don't think so - but that's just my opinion based on reading and hearing him speak, not speaking to him myself, and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from offering them alot of money if that's what they want to do -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2009, 05:10:12 AM »

I agree with you Tad. I've come to accept that Larrivee would not alter his tried n true formula for guitar building. That's  why I further qualified the adjective to mean 09-10 specs.

Exquisite = boutique gits (or small shop luthiers that do modified bracing) at 3,500 & up.

ricky
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »

As of yesterday I am out of the "I'm in" category on the F-IV.   First things first...and Bonnie's health is number one.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »

Here's a thought...

A couple of times Larrivee has made guitars from wood provided by the 12th Fret. That opens the door for a non-standard wood if the FIV team is willing to procure the wood sets (or back/side sets), and Larrivee would agree to work the wood. I'm not sure how warranty would be handled?

Danny...  take care of Bonnie. Our thoughts will be with you.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2009, 06:33:07 AM »

As of yesterday I am out of the "I'm in" category on the F-IV.   First things first...and Bonnie's health is number one.

Whenever I remember you and Bonnie, I'll be praying for you both especially regarding this health concern. ricky
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2009, 09:34:06 AM »

Whenever I remember you and Bonnie, I'll be praying for you both especially regarding this health concern. ricky
I missed that one, but you can bet that I'm "in on prayers" too Danny. Please keep us informed will you?

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »

I missed that one, but you can bet that I'm "in on prayers" too Danny. Please keep us informed will you?

Zohn, incase you missed Dan's thread on this subject, go to 'Non guitar discussion' under 'Things that happens in 3'
cheers
fongie
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »

A friendly BUMP to see if F-IV is still on anyone's radar.  An 00-03MT sounds about right to me.

Play it daily for best results.
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2009, 06:19:40 PM »

A friendly BUMP to see if F-IV is still on anyone's radar.  An 00-03MT sounds about right to me.

very much. this MT would be my order with a paddle headstock.

pending my wife making the actual purchase for me... timing issue.

ricky
WorshipGuitar

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »

I'd love to see a OO Larrivee, though I'd go for standard headstock with 14 frets to the body, gloss finish, 1 3/4" nut width, 24.9" scale length, rosewood back & sides, with engleman top.

Has Larrivee ever made any OO models?
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »

Yes, they've made 00s before...I think they have usually been 12 fretters though...not sure I've ever seem a 14 fret 00...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »

Definately! But still doin my search for a OO, incase FIV don't go ahead
My Specs Are :

- OO
- Hog top
- 12 fret
- Slothead
- Tortoise PG
- Herringbone
-  :bgr :bgr :bgrin:in:in:

cheers
fongie
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2009, 02:35:46 AM »

Definately! But still doin my search for a OO, incase FIV don't go ahead
My Specs Are :

- OO
- Hog top
- 12 fret
- Slothead
- Tortoise PG
- Herringbone
-  :bgr :bgr :bgrin:in:in:

cheers
fongie

they've made those before

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=19497.0

prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2009, 02:59:22 AM »

My spartan specs Are :

- OO
- Hog  top / sides / back
- 12 fret
- Paddlehead (to keep the cost down)
- No pickguard
- Herringbone rosette
- 03 satin finish

Play it daily for best results.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2009, 03:10:28 AM »

Oh well, my search will continue.......Still dreamin', still hopin', no alteration on the specs
cheers
fongie
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: