Pages: [1] 2 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum IV  (Read 24340 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2009, 03:13:28 AM »

OK, all the ones who don't want one, just keep saying why this or that model won't work for whatever reason you can come up with.
                                For anyone who really wants one here is the secret.
                                            Be willing to let go of the small  issues.

The rest is easy...00 slothead, satin, gloss etc. etc.  If you have to be so particular about a rosette or trim or tuners then it's by definition not a Forum guitar. It's your particular custom guitar. And not all of us will jump on board.

As Denis has said the 12 fret models really have something. I agree.  A 12 fret slothead would be my choice. Gloss, abalone, decent tuners (please), rosewood bridge and fretboard as well as headstock veneer. No Logo at all. And a bone nut!!!
                      Unfortunately y'all seem to want a L model which would be too big for me to play. If it's an OM or CS or LS size.........................................                         I am in.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 04:23:54 AM »

00 slothead, gloss etc. etc. 
                      As Denis has said the 12 fret models really have something. I agree.  A 12 fret slothead would be my choice. Gloss, abalone, decent tuners (please), rosewood bridge and fretboard as well as headstock veneer. No Logo at all. And a bone nut!!!

Sounding pretty good so far!

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Dr.Z Mini Z.
Eastman 805V Mandolin.

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »

with

rosewood trim

and High-gloss!

all hog too

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:17:35 AM »

BASIC CONCEPT: Great idea. Forum IV - OO-Slothead-12fret   (These are the main ingredients - the rest are options)

DEPTH:Don't forget the FOUR INCH DEPTH --- 4" deep from the lower bout/strap pin.

I believe someone may have started a similar thread about OO-Slothead but it was not necessarily to be a Forum IV as we were still waiting for our FIIIs to be completed in the factory. People were just content with it being a LTD something.

FINISH - Gloss or Satin
Gloss finish + decent tuners = $2,000+ USD guitar
My preference is Satin 03-appointments Made in Vancouver to lower the co$t - but not a deal breaker.

NAME OF BUYERS & CASH COMMITMENT
To make this come to reality and not just another thread, we need people who will commit CA$H with their name.

DEALER
A Canadian dealer has been approached in the original OO-slothead concept.

WOOD CHOICES
TOP - Adirondack or Engelmann Spruce, please!   Of course, mahogany for the faithful hog fans here.
BACK & SIDES - hog (of course), rw, and one other exotic say (Walnut, Bubinga, Zircote)

BRACING (my preference) - Pre-war Scalloped - whatever will maximize top/git vibration

SCALE: 25.5" regular or Short Scale (I'm sure there are short scale fans here, was it "Big-Al"?)

Just trying to help organize to move this closer to becoming reality.

ricky   [ Man, I knew I should have gone to sleep and stayed away from this place!] 
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:50:02 AM »

I am going to cry  crying crying

00 size, slot head, all hog, 12 fret.  Ticks all the boxes for my third guitar.  I figure four guitars is all I will ever need, with the 4th being a 12 string maybe.  Pity I am totally broke!!

crying crying crying angry mad angry mad wacko crying crying

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:06:02 AM »

+1 I knew it was only a matter of time right? 
Myself and some other forumites gelled some thoughts in January 2009 about a Forum IV, and the essence is as follows:

1. 12 Fret.
2. Slotted Head
3. 00, with a most responsive top in either Adi, Engelman, or Italian Spruce - a truly finger style monster.
4. Back & Sides Hog or Sapele (yes, Sapele!!), of a somewhat figured appearance.
5. Gloss top
6. 1 3/4" Nut
7. 2 5/16" string spacing at the saddle.
8. Short scale was also mentioned in the true spirit of 00's (24,9" or 24,75").
9. Rosewood or Cocobolo body binding, headstock veneer, heel-cap and end block-wedge.
10. Bone nut and saddle.
11. Upgraded tuners (at least Gotoh or Grover Sta-tites in 18:1 ratio)
12. Unique IV marked on the head stock, or @ the body joint, and on the label, and on a brass plate on the Case.
13. Very simple rosette in a figured wood
14. Ebony finger board and bridge (bridge in a straight traditional, or a Pyramid style)

Options include different top (including the possibility of Hog), back& Side materials like Rosewood, Walnut, and appointments.
I also took the liberty of making contact with 2 different dealers in Canada and New York, who indicated keen interest.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »

It all sounds great.

Would that be a Gloss top, but not back and sides?

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »

Has anyone spoken to Mr. Larrivee yet? Sounds like this is very organized at this point. Good luck everyone. Forum builds are an interesting ride. Hopefully there will be a Facebook page again.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »

Here we go again....this concept is pretty much what I would have wanted from III...Here is my vote...

BASIC CONCEPT:  OO-Slothead-12fret   (These are the main ingredients - the rest are options)

DEPTH:  Depth similar to a dread....similar to an H-13.

FINISH - Gloss

WOOD CHOICES

BACK & SIDES - hog and  rosewood

SCALE: 25.5"

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »

YES 

OO- body size  - lower bout 15 inches or less
12 fret  slot head

Now, becasue this is best suited as a FINGERSTYLE guitar
I want (at least as an option) a wider neck -  a 1 13/16 like the OOO-50, 60 or better yet a 1 7/8 like the SD50, 60.

I prefer a Martin size 24.9 scale  - like Martin uses on all their OO size guitars.
Its perfect -  not as short as a Larrivee Parlor but not as long as the 25.5.
For fingerstyle this 24.9 scale is perfect - why do you think Martin uses it !

yes- I agree - no ping tuners
do not install pick guard - same way Forum III was done - put it in the box to be used if desired.

I had the opportunity to play a Forum III and the body depth on it was just perfect -  4 inch.
I suggest 4 inches on this OO - so it will fit nicely in the lap - I think most people will use this as a lap guitar for fingerstyle.
Anything over 4 inch can get uncomfortable after a while.

- I would have bought a Forum III if it was slot head and had a 1 13/16 neck.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 12:47:09 PM »

Ray, Mark, Jim, it's not quite summer in the States, and money is still somewhat tight, but it seems the temperature is rising..

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 01:11:59 PM »

Wow, F4 talk already!  Aren't we still on the F3 honeymoon?

Sounds like a nice set up.  I don't think Engelman is what you would want at all, sitka would be better.   Adi would be great but it would need to be cut real thin to sound good on a small body like that.  I think Italian would be optimal.

Sounds like it would be a real nice guitar.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 03:27:15 PM »

If I jump in on this, I would not want Italian because my FIII has it.  Why not Engleman?  But I also think that Larrivee does Sitka right! 

Slotheads are cool.  At one point I had three (000-15S, SD-50, Yamaki 12).
Cutaway option?
Gloss would shoot the cost up to $2k at least.  What does a Martin forum 00 cost?

Anyone have some pictures of 00 Larrivees?

Play it daily for best results.
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 03:58:18 PM »

Gloss would shoot the cost up to $2k at least.  What does a Martin forum 00 cost?

Not sure what they were new but I seem to remember seeing used ones in the $2500 range...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »

Wow.   Fasten your seatbelts and hang on to your hats.     You are in for one hell of a wild ride.   Seems like there is nothing like a new forum guitar project to get this forum revved up.  I'm pretty well guitared up right now so I won't be participating in this venture.  But I'll be watching the whirlwind of excitement as it grows into hurricane proportions and overwhelms the masses.   Oh, by the way, will you ask for 4 dots on the 12th fret ???   
If Danny and Ricky are driving this thing it will happen;  that much I am sure of.

Tuffythepug
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 04:47:56 PM »

If this F4 is...

Less than 2,000 for satin (and lots of orders like FIII) --- I hope it will go to Vancouver production again.

More than 2,000+ for gloss (say 12-20 orders VERY limited number) ---
Wouldn't it be nice to have Mr. JCL himself build each F4?

For me:

TOP - Sitka, hog, okay.  For me, anything but sitka (have some already) - so Engelmann or any European Spruce please
B&S - south american hog preferred; figured sapele (yes!!!)

Last time, magic number / minimum order to make it a go is === 16.

I have seen some dealers get a "limited edition" of as few as 5  ---- or 10, or 12.

Must we start a list of Money-Committed-Buyers? and start a bare essentials Spec Features?

MONEY-COMMITTED-BUYERS (in no particular order) - danny, zohn, dotneck, ricky, larry, prof_stack
(this is not an official list - just a sample of names)

We should get a dealer as soon as Monday.

ricky (BTW, This would motivate me to sell my OO-09. Interested? PM me).

PS - I guess this is our Forum's way to stimulate the economy.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »

$2,000 would be too rich for my blood, I would have to fold at $1500 or over.
Why should this be any more expensive than a III ?
- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »

Oh, by the way, will you ask for 4 dots on the 12th fret ???   

Tuffy, this is your signature fret --- hope you can manage to jump in if all should go well and fast, like the last time.  whistling

ricky
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 04:59:11 PM »

$2,000 would be too rich for my blood, I would have to fold at $1500 or over.
Why should this be any more expensive than a III ?
- Larry

slothead and glossy will drive it north of 1500.

so, if we keep it satin-matte finish, we stay south of 2000 and well within 1500.

my 'fully loaded' FIII is south of 1600 - LSV-03R purfling.

I'd like to keep it MATTE, satin, 03 specs please --- with you here, Larry.
(Though if it should go gloss, I want in, also: 2nd choice).

Matte finish would make this more resonant, yeah?

ricky
tikabear

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »

I would like to see a 000, satin, no pickguard or clear pickguard, dots or no dots, 12 fret slothhead, mahogany with sitka or other form of spruce and pyramid bridge built someday.

More than I deserve.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: