Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Wabash Blues" - Delmore Brothers style...  (Read 741 times)
Will Fly

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »

Well, I'm still digging into the Delmore Brothers stuff and felt like having a bit of fun with "Wabash Blues". I used to play the tune with a jazz band many years ago, but it's good to go back to rootsier versions.

Just a little double-tracking on guitar and an approximation of the Delmore harmonies style.

Wabash Blues

Cheers,

Will
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »

I can just hear Jerry Reed saying,
"Son.....mighty fine pickin" !!!

Will if you ever do a gig in Nashville I want a front row seat and a back stage pass 

That flat pickin sure sounds good...and on a Larrivee is just icing on the cake  bigrin

BTW, did that custom CD make it to the post ?

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:21:22 PM »

BTW, did that custom CD make it to the post ?

- Larry

Yes - I got it in the post yesterday - the first DVD burn didn't play properly so I had to re-burn it. Lord knows why this happens, but it does occasionally. I have to check each new one I create (as opposed to the standard ones where I have master copies) as I'm burning PAL (UK) format videos to an NTSC (US) DVD.

Cheers,

Will
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:02:46 PM »

Yeaa.. Will finally sings again! And your brother, does he have a name? I've got it. The Willmore brothers.
 The vocals did capture the Delmore flavor. Thanks.  matt

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:47:22 PM »

Yes - I got it in the post yesterday - the first DVD burn didn't play properly so I had to re-burn it. Lord knows why this happens,

Thanks Will, I thought maybe customs or a storm in the North Atlantic slowed it down  bigrin

I buy them in 50 or 100 pack when on sale and there are usually 2 or 3 DVDs that fail.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
balgit

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »

Nice singing and picking ....loved the harmonizing...I enjoyed listening...Dan

Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:57:16 PM »

Thanks Dan and other folks.

It's taken me nearly 40 years to appreciate the genius and influence of the Delmore Brothers - even after having heard about them through the playing of Doc Watson for a very long time.

I've just finished reading Alton's autobiography "Truth Is Stranger Than Publicity" - published after his death - and it paints a vivid picture of life as a "hillbilly" musician in the 1930s, warts and all. I recommend it to all guitar players without reservation - it is the authentic voice of southern country music. Alton's description of the power structure at places like the Grand Ole Opry and the radio stations is both fascinating and depressing...

Cheers,

Will
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 06:13:36 PM »

So Will, If you're like me you'll agree that the earlier stuff was "better". But what about the stuff from mid to late 40's? It almost sounded like 1 long song repeated, but was it a force leading up to rock and roll? Electric guitar and the boogie lines? They aren't mentioned much in R&R history, only country, and I've long wondered about that.

Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »

I played in a 1950s-style rock'n roll trio for 12 years, from 1982 to around 1994/5, and took an intense interest in the music before and after that time. The music, in my opinion, is an amalgam of many styles which evolved over a period of time - but which, without doubt, exploded in the public consciousness with the early Elvis Presley records.

The Delmore Brothers 1940s recordings like "Hillbilly Boogie" and "Freight Train Boogie", and the music of people like Bob Wills and Western swing, coalesced into the rockabilly music which was one of the roots of the music. It's interesting to me that the Delmores in their later years recorded for Syd Nathan's King Records company -  a label which was also a home for black bands and the "race" market. So, alongside the Delmores, you had artists like Hank Ballard & The Midniters ("The Twist"), Roy Brown, Bull Moose Jackson, Wynonie Harris and Tiny Bradshaw - all swinging, tight outfits. Then there was Bill Haley - and not many people know that, before he became the rock'n roller we know from "Rock Around The Clock" and "Shake, Rattle and Roll", he was actually a cowboy yodeller of some distinction, i.e. from similar roots as the Delmores!

Add to this the black R&B outfits and swing units like Louis Jordan, Big Joe Turner and Ike Turner - and it was all ready to explode into rock'n roll with Sam Phillips and Sun records. So - not quite "one long record", but a gradual evolution and mixing of styles.

Just a few thoughts on a very complex and interesting subject...

Cheers,

Will
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:15 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts!

fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 07:27:41 AM »

Will, totally enjoyed this great music, this is what I call music
cheers
fongie
DJ in FL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 11:22:46 PM »

Will:  Nice job...as usual.

That harmony part is nice change and your Larrivee sounds (and looks) nice too.

nice guitar

Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 12:23:34 PM »

Quality Will, that was brilliant stuff.