Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reason to have more than one guitar ?  (Read 2811 times)
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »

1. because I sing and need different tones
2. because I play in different tunings
3. because I need different guage strings ready to go for different styles
4. because I need at least one campfire beater
5. because I need at least one with satin finish

...because I can ---- oops ....that might not fly with a spouse 
    maybe - try Rob's suggestion
                  ""Honey I could be into expensive sports cars and younger women BUT I only have eye's for you and a few dozen guitars"

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »

So one thing we can pass on to our younger / unmarried crowd - Questions to ask a potential spouse -

"How many guitars do you think we should have?"

I mean, you might as well find out early -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »

They could also run an ad in the Personals section -

looking for potential wife with a guitar,
please send picture of guitar....

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »

... because I am a hopeless lifelong GAS-er and I would be abnormal otherwise. 

The day I have only one guitar would be the day my wife would have to bring me to see a shrink. 

ricky
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 05:17:55 PM »

6. because I am a hopeless lifelong GAS-er and I would be abnormal otherwise (a.k.a - I'm addicted to guitars)

""Honey I could be into expensive sports cars and younger women BUT I only have eye's for you and a few dozen guitars"

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »

No expert here - so take this as tongue in cheek - it's probably as much a matter of mental and emotional therapy as it is physical. But here goes...

Because switching between guitars means changing
- body shape
- neck profile and width
- style of music
leading to healthy changes in
- posture
- hand position
- range of motion

All of which provides variety in the movements and this is healthier than repetitive strain that can arise from playing the same thing on the same guitar over and over again.

I find the switching from guitar to guitar, from acoustic to electric to bass - all of this helps my hands. But don't take my singular experience of this as evidence of anything. I'm just saying that it works for me.

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »

"Honey I could be into expensive sports cars and younger women BUT I only have eye's for you and a few dozen guitars"

(not bad)
Or the Dan method of buying the wife the sports car.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »

Good reasons ST.
            You just reminded me that I now have a bass. I couldn't pass it up. All maple with big ole Grover tuners and a nice black PG. It's a Harmony. I haven't checked on the year yet, don't care that much, I just liked it's looks.
            My youngest son can play notes pretty well, so he just fell right in to running bass lines. (I payed $20 for it ;-)

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 06:02:03 PM »

Or the Dan method of buying the wife the sports car.
                   Matt, you just posted as I did. The bass and an amp I just got were purchased from a fellow who was selling some nice mags for her little car. It was cool how that worked out.

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 06:11:07 PM »

You should  see  (or not) my bass. When I left the city long ago I knew I needed to get a bass to record tracks with, but I didn't want to spend too much. Around 200.00. The only one in that price range that had a thud and not a twang sound was this punk rock looking thing. It doesn't have much body at all. Think "the stick". No headstock, it tunes from the bridge end. Those thumbwheel tuners work great by the way. And the tone is good on this bizarre looking bass.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »

Hi Danny,

10 years ago I had all but given up on ever being able to play guitar again. My hands were a mess. Couldn't touch a guitar without pain.

I wandered into a place I used to buy guitars and found a late 70's  Musicman Stingray - fretless. I picked it up and started noodling around. Not easy, but easier than a guitar.

I took it home and over the next year I gradually moved from the bass back into my guitars.

That bass lives out in my studio where I can always see it and just pick it up any time. I don't play it often, but I do whenever my hands give me grief.

I cannot play bass, and never do it in public. I just sound like every other guitar player who picks up a bass and just doesn't get it. But I will never sell that bass as long as I have a choice in the matter.

Back to the original topic: For me, this is a serious and genuine reason to have more than one instrument.

lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 06:33:17 PM »

6. because I am a hopeless lifelong GAS-er and I would be abnormal otherwise (a.k.a - I'm addicted to guitars)
7. to avoid repetive stress syndrom, carpul tunnel problems etc (need a variety of instruments)

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 09:06:58 PM »

Hi Danny,

10 years ago I had all but given up on ever being able to play guitar again. My hands were a mess. Couldn't touch a guitar without pain.

I wandered into a place I used to buy guitars and found a late 70's  Musicman Stingray - fretless. I picked it up and started noodling around. Not easy, but easier than a guitar.

I took it home and over the next year I gradually moved from the bass back into my guitars.

That bass lives out in my studio where I can always see it and just pick it up any time. I don't play it often, but I do whenever my hands give me grief.

I cannot play bass, and never do it in public. I just sound like every other guitar player who picks up a bass and just doesn't get it. But I will never sell that bass as long as I have a choice in the matter.

Back to the original topic: For me, this is a serious and genuine reason to have more than one instrument.

Thanks for that idea about playing the bass when my hands are all gimpy. I can stress out my hands and shoulders fairly quickly these days. I just can't stop working. I think I'm like an ole Missouri mule that has been "in harness" so long that if you took the harness off and turned me out, I'd just die for lack of being able to do my part.
                Anyway the bass may be a big help some days to help limber up slowly.

Big E

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »

Hey unclrob, I loved that "because we can". 
So true. Seriously though, I won't tell my wife that. 

"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 02:16:47 AM »

my parents used it on me I use it on my son so its a tradition.

the simple responce is always the best.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
OakvilleDave

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 02:41:27 AM »

The same reason Sir Edmund Hillary reputedly gave when asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest - "Because I can."!!!

As so many forum members have eloquently said, each guitar has its own voice, and each has its own purpose.

I played acoustic guitar exclusively for the first 14 years, then I needed an electric for a live comedy show I was doing. Now I'm up to 4 electrics, 1 acoustic, 1 acoustic electric, a bass, with a set neck dual humbucker tele arriving in 3 days!! Guitars are my one of my passions - they excite me, comfort me, intrigue me, frustrate me, gratify me, and every now and then, when I play one on stage with Groove Hammer, or around the campfire with friends and family, or on the family room floor with my wife and kids, others get to feel a bit of the enjoyment that the guitar brings to me every day. They're a musical instrument, a work of art, an inspiration, and like most of us, I'll never play them as well as I'd like to, but I'll always enjoy the adventure of trying!

BTW, I'd love to add a 12 string, a dobro, a banjo, and a mandolin to my guitarsenal!! 

Guitar player since Christmas of 1977. Dad, husband, high school teacher, former comedian, current member of 9 piece soul/classic rock/funk band, Groove Hammer. Chronic GAS sufferer - Guitar Aquisition Syndrome!
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »

BTW, I'd love to add a 12 string, a dobro, a banjo, and a mandolin to my guitarsenal!! 

Dave - I learn new words and ideas all the time, especially around here - but you gotta' love that one - a guitarsenal

jimmy

lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 06:26:21 PM »

CONTEST IS OVER !!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen , we have a winner !!!!

Because my wife buys them for me.

+1 +1 +1 +1      - It does not get any better than this !!!! bigrin bigrin bigrin

here is the prize -  (a dozen of our best)

NotRevGDavis  - the truth is you already have your prize - but you know that already -  bigrin

Does she have an unmarried sister ?  bigrin 

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 06:31:45 PM »

Larry- liked the one about "send pic of guitar". Gotta love it! Like all, there was a time when all I could afford was one guitar & made due with that. But that was in my "days of ignorance", not knowing fully what lay out there for me. And, in another life!
   Now, I have a new wife, a new life, & many more guitars. I would like more, but want to stay married & keep my guitars. You can always find something special about each, just like a woman! That's why there are more than one out there!
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »

Because my wife buys them for me.

OK now.  That's just hurtful.  crying

I'm expecting delivery of a JCL 40th Anniversary LE any day now, and was wondering if I could have your wife drop by to put in a good word for me.  She sounds like a keeper!

jimmy

P.S. If she can drop by, I'll play her my version of the good reverend's Make Me A Pallet

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: